Confirmed with Link: Flames acquire Travis Hamonic and 4th from Islanders for 1st and two 2nds

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Gio-Hamilton
Brodie-Hamonic
Bartkowski/Kulak/Wotherspoon-XXXXXX
Bartkowski/Kulak/Wotherspoon

I wonder who the 3rd RHD will be.

I hope we sign Stone to a 2 year deal. Having two D that are physical but can still play is a huge advantage come playoff time.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
****ing awful trade. Hamonic is worth maybe one of those seconds.

Vkonroy

Oct 29, 2014
Calgary
It's very hard to get good, young, established defensemen in this era; it was never going to be cheap and we keep our prospect pool entirely intact. This is exactly the move you make when transitioning to contender, the more it sinks in I like it a lot.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
It's very hard to get good, young, established defensemen in this era; it was never going to be cheap and we keep our prospect pool entirely intact. This is exactly the move you make when transitioning to contender, the more it sinks in I like it a lot.

Exactly. As I've said before. This is WAY better than a rental at the deadline.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
If Smith plays well for us we should easily challenge for the division if not the conference title.

I don't watch the isles often so I can't comment on Hamonic but if his defensive game can live up to the hype of previous years I don't mind the trade.

With that said it sucks to lose a 1st in next year's stacked draft and having no 2nds for the next 3 years really sucks.

However we have like 5 or 6 d prospects with fairly high potential that could all pan out and we could recoup a lot of picks that way.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
How?

3 years at 3.75 for a good RH shutdown D?

We could've gotten someone just as good or better for cheaper or as UFA. I honestly don't see this return as being much different than the two firsts people balked at.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
This trade is gonna suck if we dig ourseleves into an early hole, for the third year in a row

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
This move very obviously made with respect to the Oilers. If they split up McDavid and Draisaitl, the Flames will still, theoretically, be able to throw out an elite pair against either.

Won't mean much if the third pairing remains a black hole as was the case over the last few years. So in other words, no Bartkowski, no more Engelland like players, etc.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Yep. Not saying he is going to have the same impact as Hamilton, but Hamonic is a big piece to add and I think he is a good couple notches above Stone.
I agree, I think he's also a better fit that Stone because he is more physical, more sound defensively and abetter PKer. Also his cap hit is under 4, which is awesome. Also Hamonic allows Brodie to take more chances offensively.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Honestly. This is smart. Our cup window is opening now. No sense being afraid to make a move that gives us a legit chance to compete for a cup every year.

The West is in a state of transition and I honestly don't see the scary powerhouse teams of a few years ago (Chicago and Anaheim took a step back)

With a clutch goalie like Mike Smith and a studly top 4 we should be a dominant team next year.

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada
I disagree. Player for player, if you compare the top 4, our guys look just as good IMO. I'm assuming, of course, that Brodie returns to form a little bit after his distractions last year.

You guys are close to them but Rinne >> Smith

And a 1st and two 2nd's for Hamonic?

Very steep.

JurassicTunga

it is what it is
Mar 21, 2010
Hamonic will be turning 27. He's going into his prime years as a d-man. Other than this year, he has been a really solid defenseman. Him and Brodie are going to be a beautiful pairing, I think.

We've got some Hams on defense.
Exciting stuff.

western redmen

the forgotten owskis
Jun 7, 2012
Gios not getting younger so this defense really isnt getting much better, if you feel this is the best chance at a cup go for it. There are no clear favorite for the cup these days so the field is wide open

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
You guys are close to them but Rinne >> Smith

And a 1st and two 2nd's for Hamonic?

Very steep.
Not that steep at all. We gave up 1 good asset that with any luck will be a later 1st and a couple 2nds, again hopefully late 2nds, which will have about a 50% chance each of being NHLers

JurassicTunga

it is what it is
Mar 21, 2010
Frank Seravalli‏Verified account @frank_seravalli 4m4 minutes ago

Even with Hamonic in the fold, #Flames' Treliving says he'd like to keep talking with pending UFA Michael Stone to find a way to keep him.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Frank Seravalli‏Verified account @frank_seravalli 4m4 minutes ago

Even with Hamonic in the fold, #Flames' Treliving says he'd like to keep talking with pending UFA Michael Stone to find a way to keep him.

lgJCmtjW_400x400.jpeg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad