Confirmed with Link: Flames acquire Brandon Bollig

southernbeardown54

Apr 23, 2012
Hawk fan here and don't buy the bollig is terrible bit. He was really good all year for his role until the playoffs. He had trouble skating in the postseason and in the defensive zone at times looked slow but if used right he is effective in his role. Good hockey iq and usually always makes the right hockey play if his physical limitations don't get him. I was surprised he got a third though

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Bollig is Blake Comeau equivalent.

Dude, they aren't even close in terms of role and style. What exactly do you mean? Blake Comeau was (supposed to be) a second-liner with a bit of an edge. Bollig is McGrattan with better hands and slightly worse in the fighting department (like everyone is).

MuffinMerc

Come watch TV
Jan 23, 2013
Dude, they aren't even close in terms of role and style. What exactly do you mean? Blake Comeau was (supposed to be) a second-liner with a bit of an edge. Bollig is McGrattan with better hands and slightly worse in the fighting department (like everyone is).

LAWL
Comeau was a 4th liner who had all the tools and no toolbox. Bollig is more or less (probably less) the same (with fewer tools). Bollig is a 4th liner and I expect him to be just as useless as Comeau was here. Could have just resigned Galiardi.

The amount of disdain we had for Comeau is exactly the same level of hatred Hawks fans have for Bollig. That's why they are the equivalent and we get to see the trainwreck next season.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
LAWL
Comeau was a 4th liner who had all the tools and no toolbox. Bollig is more or less (probably less) the same (with fewer tools). Bollig is a 4th liner and I expect him to be just as useless as Comeau was here. Could have just resigned Galiardi.

They play completely different styles. I can hardly even think of a worse comparison to Bollig.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
LAWL

Comeau was signed because he'd been a 25-goal scorer and Feaster thought he could get back to that level. That's what you'll find if you go back and look at all of the comments from Feaster on the trade that brought him here.

Bollig is not coming here because we're hoping he'll contribute offensively. He's coming here because he is an effective bottom-6er. He doesn't have any level he's expected to try to get back to. If he scores 14 points next year, too, and plays the way he does, he'll have met expectations and helped the team.

Bollig is far more physical and effective in a bottom-6 role than Comeau was, but again, that wasn't the reason Comeau was brought here in the first place.

May 27, 2012
Earth
41022-will-smith-I-aint-even-mad-tKbi.jpeg

MuffinMerc

Come watch TV
Jan 23, 2013
They play completely different styles. I can hardly even think of a worse comparison to Bollig.

I'm saying they are equivalent in fan perception.

Remember how we hated Blake Comeau and elated when thr Blue Jackets picked him up? Bollig is EXACTLY the same for the Hawks.

Bosnian Beast

Formerly Janko Unchained
Dec 30, 2010
Lethbridge, AB
I have lost the last three posts I have tried to make simply by hitting the back button (I hate this laptop, sometimes), so I am going to just keep it short.

1. Comeau was claimed with some expectation that he would return to his 35-45 point form. Even if he couldn't get that high, 20-25 points would have probably been acceptable. You're right that he has the tools but not the toolbox, but Bollig isn't being brought in to be Comeau 2.0

2. Bollig isn't advertised the way that Comeau was when we claimed him. We know Bollig is a bottom six guy, who is similar to Bouma.

tl;dr, comparing Bollig to Comeau is simply not a fair comparison. Get off the pot.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria

Remember how we hated Blake Comeau and elated when thr Blue Jackets picked him up? Bollig is EXACTLY the same for the Hawks.

Have to wonder what exactly they were expecting out of him to begin with. He was never a projected second-liner. He wasn't even drafted. Again, Comeau came with the expectations laid down by our management, and those expectations came from previous performance in his career. The same is not true of Bollig.

And given the fact that we know what to expect out of him, I don't think there's really any risk of him being a disappointment. Kind of like when we picked up Westgarth.

Aug 3, 2010

Honestly, fan perception means nothing. A player plays to the best of his ability whether it's in a first line scorer or checking role. That's why they're in the NHL.
Westgarth was solid for Calgary while Carolina fans thought the Flames brass had lost their minds to trade for him. Calgary wanted to get an upgrade over Westgarth (which Bollig is) especially if Wolf didn't pan out as we know Bollig is an NHL-capable player albeit a lesser one. Bollig isn't an outstanding player but he's probably not trash.

To hell with fan perception. Backlund wouldn't still be on this team if fan perception made any sense, and the loss of Erixon would still be lamented.

May 27, 2012
Earth
Honestly, fan perception means nothing. A player plays to the best of his ability whether it's in a first line scorer or checking role. That's why they're in the NHL.
Westgarth was solid for Calgary while Carolina fans thought the Flames brass had lost their minds to trade for him. Calgary wanted to get an upgrade over Westgarth (which Bollig is) especially if Wolf didn't pan out as we know Bollig is an NHL-capable player albeit a lesser one. Bollig isn't an outstanding player but he's probably not trash.

To hell with fan perception. Backlund wouldn't still be on this team if fan perception made any sense, and the loss of Erixon would still be lamented.

post-23470-Jeremiah-Johnson-nod-cropped-g-jtcK.gif

Snakepit

Nov 19, 2013
We already know this about Calgary Flames trade acquisition Brandon Bollig: He’s fearless.

Rewind the tape to Nov. 27, 2013, at the Saddledome, and Bollig — then a member of the Chicago Blackhawks — dropped his mitts for a dance with Flames enforcer Brian McGrattan.

The 6-foot-2, 223-lb. Bollig was on the receiving end of a flurry of rights from McGrattan — 97.1% of fans on hockeyfights.com have scored it a victory for the Flames heavyweight — and needed repairs for a cut near his left eye after the bout, but that’s not really the point.

In this case, the statement was more important than the judges’ scorecards.

“That’s the reason I did it — to let my teammates know that I’m willing to do that against anyone and for anyone on our team,” Bollig said. “I hope my teammates now in Calgary and the coaches and the fans and everyone there realizes that I bring that element, that I’ll do whatever it takes for my team. I hope they realize that.”

Bollig admitted Saturday’s trade was a “shock,” but he seemed encouraged by conversations with both Treliving and Flames head coach Bob Hartley that included talk of an “expanded role.”

“I think any player would want that,” said Bollig, who scored seven times, added seven assists and registered a team-leading 203 hits but averaged only 10:16 of icetime per night in 82 regular-season outings for the Blackhawks last winter.

“The more you play, the better you feel, I think. I loved my role here in Chicago, but when you change teams, you get the new look and new coaches think different things about certain roles and certain players. I’m excited to see where this takes me and, hopefully, expand my role and have a good exciting season up in Calgary.

More here

http://www.calgarysun.com/2014/06/28/flames-trade-for-tough-guy-bollig

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Maybe, but Bollig can actually play hockey, hes a tough guy who actually can be useful on your third line and in a shut down role. Westgarth was good for literally 1 thing, starting fights.

Hes a massive upgrade on Westgarth. I think a lot of people will have a different opinion of this trade in 6 months.

Fair enough. Though not really a fan of acquiring yet another left winger what with Glencross, and Bouma on the roster while the likes of Baertschi, Wolf, Gaudreau, and Reinhart fight for the remaining spots. If Bollig can move over to the right side, then it should work out. Either that or Wolf moves over.

Snakepit

Nov 19, 2013
Well who gives a **** what the Hawks think of him? Why would we care?

Exactly. A fan bases opinion of someone at the time of a trade is the worst way to find a players value. If you believed flames fans at the time Phaneuf was traded you'd think the Leafs got the worst player in the league

MuffinMerc

Come watch TV
Jan 23, 2013
Exactly. A fan bases opinion of someone at the time of a trade is the worst way to find a players value. If you believed flames fans at the time Phaneuf was traded you'd think the Leafs got the worst player in the league

If you think their sour regard for Bollig happened as soon as he was traded then you are sadly mistaken.

Snakepit

Nov 19, 2013
If you think their sour regard for Bollig happened as soon as he was traded then you are sadly mistaken.

No, you missed my point. Using my same example, it's not like Flames fan sour regard to Phaneuf only started when he was traded either.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad