GDT: FLAMES (5-4-0) vs. DEVILS (8-3-0) 8 p.m. MT | TV: HNIC, Sportsnet One | RADIO: Sportsnet 960 The FAN

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
people were worried about Kadri. His 7M/yr is a steal right now
On the other hand Huberdeau is not even worth the 5.9M he is making now. Good luck to us in the next 8 yrs
Weegar is also worth half his future contract

This great deal is turning sour quickly for Treliving.

Next time don’t trade for guys looking for retirement contract, no matter what their resume look like. Get them for free in FA. Most of them don’t work out

This is what I warned about them being so eagar to sign those 8 year deals. They wanted that extra year money also wanted deals if they dont happen to work.

Jan 29, 2009
Edmonton/Calgary
Feels like anything that can go wrong is right now. From the first line to the D coverage to not the best goaltending. Huberdeau was brutal last night and looked like Lucic handling the puck. The good news is we're still treading water but they don't have forever to figure this out. The bad news is we might be down another dmen.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I pretty consistently feel like when every individual looks bad, it's likely not an individual problem... and it seems to be the case here. The Flames have some kind of massive systemic problem they need to address.

I don't know if it's that they aren't executing the details of the system or that the league has found some way to completely demolish Sutter's system, but when all four lines are incapable of bringing the puck up ice together with puck support and setting up a forecheck, it seems futile to me to point fingers at one guy at a time.

If the team can be sharper and play more together, individuals will shine. When guys are constantly carrying the puck in outnumbered situations and don't have good passing options, everyone looks bad.

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
Honestly I'd be a bit more concerned with Huberdeau if he it looked like he was able to carry the puck, win battles, make simple passes, etc., and he still sucked. The fact it's obvious he's gripping his stick and mishandling pucks makes it seem like it's very much an issue that isn't structural in his game--pucks are bouncing off his stick and as said, he's just gripping it tight and overthinking everything to where he just isn't making plays.

Of course that can last for a whole season--we saw that for a lot of 2019-20 with Gaudreau iirc with a ~40 game stretch of bobbled pucks and stick gripping that was unlike his normal play--but in terms of worrying about the next 8 years? I guess a professional hockey player may have just forgotten how to stick handle but I don't find that idea very convincing.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Teams go 5-4-1 all the time. Typical Calgary first month. Losing games at home against bad teams is a bad habit that has crept up again but some road trips should do this team wonders

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad