Post-Game Talk: Flames 4 Oilers 3 In OT, Embellishment Edition

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
Horrible line change, complete lack of common sense by Fetence and Schultz. Didn't see the hook on Petry so idk if he embellished or not.

This team under Nelson could be decent but we still need a #1 goalie, better defence and a bit more balanced group of forwards. I really like Nelson though, he's had the team competing and these last two games were actually fun to watch. We need a new Gm that won't meddle with the bench, maybe new assistants too. But I believe Nelson is at least a decent coach.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Yep. Amazing what an actual coach does and how it makes a difference. This team is more physical, skating better, better puck support and closing on loose pucks much better. There also playing for each other and within a team based concept.

You can just see the work out there and the guys trying much harder knowing they have a sensible coach and gameplan.

Also the most interesting thing mentioned tonight is Nelson's pace of practice being much quicker and putting the players through game speed in drills. Something that was rarely the case with Professor Eakins..:sarcasm:

we lost but I'll take this kind of performance any time over what I was getting earlier in the year.

Agreed, my only issue is that the dumb decisions are still there and that are guys have been sleepwalking/*****ing the bed for so long that it'll take awhile to knock that **** off.

Couldn't say it better. The refs were being buttholes and EDM was playing pretty cool until OT. It was a pretty good game and we can't be mad about losing in this draft. Drai had a good game also.

Yeah it was a good game from Drai, even if we send him down, this should be a confidence booster for him.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Agreed, my only issue is that the dumb decisions are still there and that are guys have been sleepwalking/*****ing the bed for so long that it'll take awhile to knock that **** off.

Yeah it was a good game from Drai, even if we send him down, this should be a confidence booster for him.

Yeah I caught the weird 3 on 3 thing but in fairness Nelson is very much a who's going kind of coach and I thought Ference had a physical game and had a lot of battle tonight. Schultz looked to have more composure as well.

Part of Nelson's thing is to help instill confidence and he did it with Roy last night putting him in the shootout. he'll give guys extra responsibility to reward effort and hustle out there.

The difference is with Nelson I have more confidence he'll use this as a learning moment and drill it into the players what needs to occur for a linechange. Commonsense but he'll get back to that fundamental.

rosemount289

Feb 12, 2008
Points to be..........???

Points to be made: 1) The Oilers looked tired in the 3rd........I realized that they played the nite before.......and they showed it.

2) Aulie did not play the 3rd period or played very few shifts as a result the entire defence was very tired.

3) We are now tied with Carolina for 30th.

4) Hartly has a good game plan against the Oilers........hit them everytime they touch the puck. He knows that the Oilers are a soft team.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Yeah I caught the weird 3 on 3 thing but in fairness Nelson is very much a who's going kind of coach and I thought Ference had a physical game and had a lot of battle tonight. Schultz looked to have more composure as well.

Part of Nelson's thing is to help instill confidence and he did it with Roy last night putting him in the shootout. he'll give guys extra responsibility to reward effort and hustle out there.
Nelson plays who is doing well. If you are playing bad you sit if you are doing well you get rewarded

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Yeah...maybe by year 8 of the rebuild this team will have the type of balanced roster the Flames have in year 2.

I wouldn't bet money on it though.

Until then we just do what Oiler fans do and hope for the best.

This game was there for this team but for the umptenth time they find a way to give the game away. There are no end of players on this team that have a 10 cent head. Yakupov, Schultz, Ferrence, Hall on occasions and thats not all.

A lot of this roster STILL needs to be turned over and for year 6 of a rebuild thats beyond embarrassing.

All that being said I do like what Nelson has done so far with this mess of a hockey team.

Changes will still need to be made but we had no Giordano at the start of our rebuild. Give Nelson some time, if he can get more out of guys like Schultz, Yak, etc. then our team will be much improved internally. IMO the big differences between our teams are that they have a 1D and a legit starting goalie and they manage the puck better. Our guys were making bad passes all night long. Maybe with higher tempo practices that will start to change. IMO don't discredit the difference that a real coach can make.

This team is playing so much different with Nelson as coach. I think Eberle through 5hits tonight. When does that happen? Everybody was working hard out there and they matched Flames for intensity and effort. Oil didn't get any great bounces either.

Thought the team showed more moxy and definitely having more fun out there than they were under Eakins.

These last 2 games have shown a lot of heart out there from our team, it's refreshing to see. If Nelson can get them playing well and he brings their confidences up and MacT doesn't fire him we could see a much better team next season especially if we add a high draft pick and upgrade in a few spots.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Points to be made: 1) The Oilers looked tired in the 3rd........I realized that they played the nite before.......and they showed it.

2) Aulie did not play the 3rd period or played very few shifts as a result the entire defence was very tired.

4) Hartly has a good game plan against the Oilers........hit them everytime they touch the puck.

More like turtle, and hope for a penalty against. Refs were on their side tonight.

Tom Brady

Legend of all Legends!
Feb 13, 2010
What do you think the Oilers record would be with Nelson at the helm from the start of this season?

I don't think it would be that much different. not even god can this save this organization, I wouldn't be surprised if we don't make the playoffs for the next 10 years as well.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

The difference is with Nelson I have more confidence he'll use this as a learning moment and drill it into the players what needs to occur for a linechange. Commonsense but he'll get back to that fundamental.

Hopefully, I just wanted it known that I wasn't a fan of that combo of players. I probably would've started with RNH-Fayne-Klefbom.

That said it happens and it looks like he's doing much more good than bad out there.

4) Hartly has a good game plan against the Oilers........hit them everytime they touch the puck. He knows that the Oilers are a soft team.

Aulie got tossed in the 1st so we were down to 5D for most of the game.

McDeathbyCheerios*

I don't think it would be that much different. not even god can this save this organization.
I'm what? If the Oilers played like they have the last 2 games all season we would have a bunch more points. Not playoff contention but not last place

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Changes will still need to be made but we had no Giordano at the start of our rebuild. Give Nelson some time, if he can get more out of guys like Schultz, Yak, etc. then our team will be much improved internally. IMO the big differences between our teams are that they have a 1D and a legit starting goalie and they manage the puck better. Our guys were making bad passes all night long. Maybe with higher tempo practices that will start to change. IMO don't discredit the difference that a real coach can make.

The fact that the Oilers have not been able to find a top pairing dman in 10 years is on them. The Flames should be commended for acquiring and developing dmen like Giordano, and TJ Brodie.

Look...I like what Nelson has done but I am realistic about the ultimate results.
If you are expecting Nelson to spin gold out of crap then be prepared to be disappointed.

This roster STILL needs tons of work and that is inexcusable.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
At least we know if the tank is in trouble we just need to play Schultz 30+ mins/night.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
The fact that the Oilers have not been able to find a top pairing dman in 10 years is on them. The Flames should be commended to acquiring and developing dmen like Giordano, and TJ Brodie.

Look...I like what Nelson has done but I am realistic about the ultimate results.
If you are expecting Nelson to spin gold out of crap then be prepared to be disappointed.

This roster STILL needs tons of work and that is inexcusable.

imo the lineup is deep enough for us to be a team around .500

That was Eakins' biggest mark against him. Everyone said he should be judged on wins, including me, and he failed miserably. I am now reverting to my pre-season expectations of .500 hockey from this club, because that's my assessment of where the talent is at for this squad.

oilers_guy_eddie

Playoffs? PLAYOFFS!?
Feb 27, 2002
This is Oil Country!
Visit site
What do you think the Oilers record would be with Nelson at the helm from the start of this season?

I think the better question is how much damage did Dallas Eakins do to these guys, and can Todd Nelson undo it.

I know that everybody really appreciated Eakins' classy farewell press conference, and I know that there's a lot more wrong with this team than coaching. Blaming the coach is the easy thing. But every single player in the organization was worse after a season and a half of Eakins. And it's no accident that they look like humans again, instead of depressed droids.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
This is fair, but imo the lineup is deep enough for us to be a team around .500

That was Eakins' biggest mark against him. Everyone said he should be judged on wins, including me, and he failed miserably. I am now reverting to my pre-season expectations of .500 hockey from this club, because that's my assessment of where the talent is at for this squad.

I think this roster is still too unbalanced and void of hockey smarts to be a .500 team.

I dont mind mistakes by 1st year players like Klefbom but to see players like Schultz and Yakupov make mind numbingly stupid decisions time and time again is baffling.

Yakupov made 2 of the dumbest passes I have seen on 1 shift (1st period) in a long long time.

Schultz...well he is just Schultz.

Hall STILL makes stupid plays every couple of games. The point being how many years and how many coaches do some of these players need before the stupid gets coached out of them?

For example I dont see these stupid mistakes from Flame rookies...why is that?

chubeyr

Aug 19, 2005
As a Calgary Fan I thought Scrivens looked great. Part of this was Flames players shooting the puck into his chest but he had position all night.

I thought Calgary had alot more quality chances than the oilers but hockey is about bounces.

I really enjoyed that game. First time in a long time I actually thought the Oilers could win. Also liked the chippy play. Not gonna complain too hard about the hit on Stajan. Aulie is like 6' 7' and looked like he used his shoulder, but hit the players head. I dont like to see that but I did not see an elbow thrown. Thought the refs called it right. Yet no suspension should follow.

As for OT............... I blame Hall for having poor D skills often, etc etc etc but for god sakes a 2 on 1 with him being the only guy back? That was an awful line change.

MacT goes to the press box and Nelson takes over. A win and an OT loss. Good start.

I am cheering for the Oilers, anything that stops you guys from getting McDavid, Eichel, or Hanafin lol!

Good game guys, very entertaining.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad