Confirmed Trade: [FLA/SJS]Mike Hoffman. 7th ('18) for 2nd ('19), 4th ('18) & 5th ('18)

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Right, but then shouldn't Ottawa be pissed at Wilson for trading Hoffman to a team they obviously didn't want him going to?

I mean doesn't everyone think that if SJ was just going to turn around and deal Hoffman to Florida that Ottawa never would have traded him to SJ in the first place?

Yes, Ottawa should be pissed. But Dorion shouldn't have limited his options. Big whoop you face Hoffman four more times a year. Is he really going to do that much damage?

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Yes, Ottawa should be pissed. But Dorion shouldn't have limited his options. Big whoop you face Hoffman four more times a year. Is he really going to do that much damage?

This idea that Dorion didnt even consider with Florida is flase

Tallon has said:

1) Spoke with Ottawa last week
2)Price was too high
3)Ottawa wanted players, San Jose wanted picks.

Phasenet

Nov 5, 2013
Winnipeg
Why would San Jose throw away a talented young player after they got him for practically free? Jumbo Joe isn't getting any younger and they just lost Marleau.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
It's possible. It is also possible that Ottawa wanted a roster player (Boedker) especially one who salary cap is higher than his actual salary. It is also possible Florida only wanted to deal picks. So San Jose was the middle man.

This idea that Dorion didnt even consider with Florida is false

Tallon has said:

1) Spoke with Ottawa last week
2)Price was too high
3)Ottawa wanted players. San Jose wanted picks.

Interesting. Makes sense.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Why would San Jose throw away a talented young player after they got him for practically free? Jumbo Joe isn't getting any younger and they just lost Marleau.

The purpose for SJS was to move Boedkers contract, they did it while adding draft picks. They of course kept Hoffman but some are suggesting they will take a run at Tavares.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
You have to hand it to Doug Wilson and the Sharks...not sure how he does it time after time. Manages to acquire three picks and jettison Boedker's contract, which was an albatross. Now he has even more dough to play with in free agency.

Also managed to acquire Kane as an impending UFA for very little from the Sabres and against all prognosticators, get his name on a contract prior to free agency. And now that Boedker's contract is out of the picture, that $7m a year deal for Kane doesn't look so bad.

It's how season after season he manages to keep the Sharks competitive in the Pacific without the benefit of any high draft picks.

Reactions: FeedingFrenzy

Mr Fahrenheit

Valar Morghulis
Oct 9, 2009
This is the Jones deal all over again

OTT wouldn't trade Hoffman to FLA due to inter-division + wanted him as far as possible from OTT. Deal him to West Coast.
SJ knew FLA was hot and heavy for Hoffman...flipped him for a better return.

LAK didn't want Jones in SJ...dealt him across the country to BOS...who traded him to SJ for a solid return.

Ottawa and Florida are in the same division plus they did talk to each other

HydroF

Mar 27, 2014
Vacaville

Doug Wilson has said he has been eyeing this UFA year for a long time, and they certainly aren't rebuilding so as nice of an improvement Hoffman would have been, he undoubtedly believes the he can improve the team with that cap space by a greater margin than the improvement Hoffman would have been. With Thornton only given a one year contract for last year (he has stated he will take another one year contract and less money if it helps the sharks acquire other players), and the wait to give out new contracts to the couple guys who need them for this year leaving as much cap space open and flexibility as possible for now, it looks pretty obvious that he is trying to give the Sharks the ability to hand out a huge contract and there is only one UFA that could be getting that this year.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
I was talking about combined value.

Boedker scored at a higher rate 5v5 than Hoffman last season, and plays C. An NHL C is likely worth a 2nd round pick.
No... no he does not play centre. Never. He can play both wings though. Mainly a LW. He's a pure winger.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Pretty slimy by Wilson. Dorion got played hard. If I'm a GM, I'm definitely hesitant about dealing with him now.
Are you serious? That is plain ineptitude if you get LET yourself get ripped off, then act bitter enough to potentially hurt yourself further.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Hoffman needs to get his fiancé one hell of a gift. She got him moved from Ottawa to Miami. Now he gets to live a better lifestyle in obscurity while getting taxed less.
Why do people think living in the south, or obscurity is so great? What exactly is better?

I'd take Ottawa over Miami in a heartbeat. For what it's worth, I've lived 5 years in Ottawa, but only visited Miami about 3 times in my life (not counting airport layovers).

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Couple years down the road, when the 2nd and 4th and two 5ths got traded for bs players or draftees that turned into nothing. This board and everybody will still overvalue the draft picks.

A lot of ppl also seem to forget that Boedker was a 1st round pick, 8th overall in 2008 and Hoffman was a 5th in 2009. Ottawa got lucky with Hoffman, now they trade him away. They did not get fleeced.
So what? That was 10 years ago. Draft position means nothing now. And they did get fleeced. Just because you got lucky, and screwed up, doesn't mean it's not a fleecing.

PBPantherfan

Feb 7, 2010
Lake Worth, FL
Why do people think living in the south, or obscurity is so great? What exactly is better?

I'd take Ottawa over Miami in a heartbeat. For what it's worth, I've lived 5 years in Ottawa, but only visited Miami about 3 times in my life (not counting airport layovers).

None of the Panthers players live in Miami they usually live either around the arena in Sunrise or in Fort Lauderdale. And for a guy like Hoffman who is under the microscope right now in Ottawa its probably appealing to go somewhere where you aren’t recognized as much so you can have some peace and quiet if you decide to go out to dinner. Not to mention the extra money he will make because of less taxes in Florida.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad