Claimed off Waivers: [FLA] Panthers claim Jonas Johansson off waivers from Avalanche

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
They sending knight down?

3rd or 4th string insurance?

I would think insurance since they only had three goalies under contract after losing Montembeault earlier on waivers. Since Florida is sharing their AHL team with Seattle this season, getting a replacement goalie wasn't urgent but it made sense to get somebody eventually.

Didn't know that they had Dubnyk on an AHL tryout. But I would think Johansson would be their #3.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
Weird, we just signed Dubnyk to a PTO for Charlotte.
My understanding is that Dubnyk is trying to get some meaningful playing time ahead of the Spengler Cup and that signing with Charlotte was not really about playing in the AHL and more about conditioning and prep for Switzerland. I could be totally off, but I read this in my travels.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Cheaper than Knight, maybe they’re going to send him down to squeeze every penny?

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
My understanding is that Dubnyk is trying to get some meaningful playing time ahead of the Spengler Cup and that signing with Charlotte was not really about playing in the AHL and more about conditioning and prep for Switzerland. I could be totally off, but I read this in my travels.

Not sure to be honest, FLA has been looking for a reliable #3G all year.
Could be Knight getting shipped down to play more but JJ doesn't seem like an upgrade at this point.

Cool story for Dubnyk if true, didn't hear that part about training for Spengler Cup.
I'd actually be fine if FLA gave him a cheap 1 yr deal to possibly be emergency backup?

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
Not sure to be honest, FLA has been looking for a reliable #3G all year.
Could be Knight getting shipped down to play more but JJ doesn't seem like an upgrade at this point.

Cool story for Dubnyk if true, didn't hear that part about training for Spengler Cup.
I'd actually be fine if FLA gave him a cheap 1 yr deal to possibly be emergency backup?
I could see this as well - I assume the Panthers have been looking for an AHL replacement for Montembeault.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
I think this means Knight gets sent down to get more games in. No reason for Florida to keep 3 goalies on the roster.

This would also let Bob get into a rhythm as a true #1 again

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
I could see this as well - I assume the Panthers have been looking for an AHL replacement for Montembeault.

For sure, it's been a weird 2 team dynamic for FLA and SEA this year.
Happy when they move on and we can both ice our own prospects.

Our beat writer hinting this may push Knight down which is good imo, he's not gonna play a lot if Bob is playing like his Vez years the majority of the time.

And its an easy call up for Knight if we have an injury. 3rd string depth is never a bad thing.

Reactions: Ratsreign

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Seems like the flexibility to send Knight down to get more playing time and let Bob have a traditional #1 starter load is available out of this.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014
Revenge for beating us
Every Avs fan be like :
will-ferrell-anchorman.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad