Confirmed Signing with Link: [FLA] F Carter Verhaeghe signs extension with the Panthers (8 years, $7M AAV)

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Provocative claim: The Tkachuk-Huberdeau swap has opened the door for signings like this.

I love Huby and I’m happy he got paid, but he’s been through a lot in Calgary—getting the big contract and struggling. For players like Reino and Verhaeghe, why risk that misery just for an extra 10-15% in salary, even with the longer contract term?

It’s not just about money. If you already have $56M, is an extra $8M really worth the potential pain? 7-8 years of your life is like 10-15% of what they expect to have left to live...

Ten years ago, players weren’t making these kinds of trade-offs for Florida. We even paid David Bolland $5.5M back then...

Jan 21, 2018
Provocative claim: The Tkachuk-Huberdeau swap has opened the door for signings like this.

I love Huby and I’m happy he got paid, but he’s been through a lot in Calgary—getting the big contract and struggling. For players like Reino and Verhaeghe, why risk that misery just for an extra 10-15% in salary, even with the longer contract term?

It’s not just about money. If you already have $56M, is an extra $8M really worth the potential pain? 7-8 years of your life is like 10-15% of what they expect to have left to live...

Ten years ago, players weren’t making these kinds of trade-offs for Florida. We even paid David Bolland $5.5M back then...

Why is it so hard for panthers fans to admit that they have a huge advantage because of taxes? How convenient is it that Yzerman went from instantly being a top GM in Tampa to a terrible GM in Detroit?

The criteria to sign players to cheap contracts appears to be:

1 - have low taxes
2 - be a good team

Every single team can potentially meet the 2nd criteria and be a good team if they are managed properly.

But there are only a few teams that will meet the first criteria because they have no control over taxes.

The panthers were a terrible hockey team for years and now they can finally benefit from their low taxes because they have a great team.

But their fans pretend that Zito is an amazing GM that can convince his players to sign for less without factoring tax.

:help:

Reactions: Xanlet

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
How much is left for Bennett?

Well deserved for Carter. Good avv for Florida. Win win

WaitingForThatCab

#1 Nick Cousins Fan Account
Mar 11, 2017
They’re obviously in a very different place (mentally) compared to teams like the Leafs or Edmonton, who haven’t won a cup. They’re basically going for it (the next couple of years), rewarding some of the players who got them there, before the hurt comes. Not even trying to be too careful. Likely thinking, if they can win just 1 more, it’s all worth it. And it would be…

By signing these deals they have, it’s gonna hurt trying to make moves in 2-3 years. Trying to replace Bennett, Ekblad and Bob won’t be easy after this season and next. It’s already not the easiest of things. It likely means the end to Sam Bennett in Florida as well. You have to think they tried getting him done before giving this deal, but you never know. Maybe they’re thinking Lundell will be able to fill more of that role.

Their big issue is going to be dmen, and then a goalie to replace Bob, if this run extends any more than this year. They’re officially in the “patchwork discounted veterans mode”, until further notice. Using trade deadlines and UFAs chasing Cups, to stay in contention after this year.

Ekblad, even on a discounted deal, is getting term next summer. He’s still underrated after all these years, but if he leaves next summer, along with Bennett, those are two huge holes to fill, and if they sign him, when does his drop start? Some think it already has started.

They’re also gonna have to hit on 2-3 projects like Boqvist too.

One thing they should be all over immediately, if they don’t think Spencer Knight is ready to take that net as early as next season, is to go get one of the high end goalie prospects, who’s about to hit the league. If they can do that, it’ll save them major dollars, and hopefully in a year or two, when Bob retires, that kid can step in and give them high-end goaltending. Whether that’s a Fowler, Augustine, or whoever. That’s who they should actively be targeting, because with how the D-Core is going to turnover each year, if they’re not stable in net, they’re in big trouble. That’s why it’s so important to find that goalie now. Maybe it is Knight, but last season in the AHL, he wasn’t back to form, to say the least.

That and they’re gonna need to do something similar on the back end. Teams just don’t trade young dmen though. So that’s gonna be a lot harder of a task.

In fact, you’d almost not blame them, if they tried moving Bennett this season, to a team he’ll extend with, where they land a couple of almost ready D prospects. At least one, and other value, they could flip for another younger blue liner. It would be smart because the chances of grabbing a couple of dmen in other ways, is almost impossible.

They’re gonna be good again this year. They’ll have to patchwork the blue line, but they’ll be ready to defend. It’s the following year that’s gonna be the big deal.

Respectfully, I disagree with this analysis. The Panthers' long-term salary cap outlook continues to improve under Zito. This team may collapse into a heap once the core ages, but it won't be because of cap mismanagement. In that case, it would be due to roster mismanagement and an inability to find new talent to replace aging / retiring players.

Reactions: ScottyMascotty

ScottyMascotty

Dec 24, 2017
St. Petersburg
Why is it so hard for panthers fans to admit that they have a huge advantage because of taxes?
Because Panthers are so good with cap management that it just can't be described purely or mostly by no state tax or else any team with no state tax would be able to have that roster improvement.

But their fans pretend that Zito is an amazing GM that can convince his players to sign for less without factoring tax.
He literally is an amazing GM. Only amazing GM could've turn Panthers into such a successful franchise in just a 4 years.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Seems like they may have the cash for Bennett and Ekblad (or a replacement) as well. More good business from Florida. Can keep the window open until 2030 as long as they can find a top goalie (possible) or load up the D and find a solid goalie (probably easy).

Tkachuk, Barkov, Reinhardt, Verhagee, Lundell, Bennett is an awfully good, awfully physical top 6 who are very good both ways.

Yeah, we can re-sign Bennett and Ekblad, as long as Ekblad takes a discount. We may also trade a goalie in the off-season which would free up even more room.

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
looks like a deal made before the cap rising. good deal for a contender to keep the window open. Compare this core 4 to the leafs and you know Zito is doing something right with these contracts.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
He's earned it. Thankfully Luostarinen has a couple more seasons left at $3mil.

Makes me wonder about Sam Bennett unless the intent is to not bring back Ekblad?

I think Florida needs to go for it again this year. The coming years might start to get rough with cap space.

tmorton

Aug 26, 2024
How much is left for Bennett?

Well deserved for Carter. Good avv for Florida. Win win
My napkin math says we have about $14M available to Ekblad+Bennett. You could stretch it more if we don't keep our RFAs and go with another 1-2 league min players. The next year Bob leaves (or signs short term at half the AAV) and our cap situation opens up big. I think that's doable.

Egblad

Patiently Waiting
May 20, 2006
Florida
It’s interesting how much of a talking point the no state income tax thing is with the state of Florida particularly. Texas, and Nevada also have no state income tax, and also happen to have quite successful teams in recent history, but why isn’t it a talking point for them? Am I missing something?

WaitingForThatCab

#1 Nick Cousins Fan Account
Mar 11, 2017
He's earned it. Thankfully Luostarinen has a couple more seasons left at $3mil.

Makes me wonder about Sam Bennett unless the intent is to not bring back Ekblad?

I think Florida needs to go for it again this year. The coming years might start to get rough with cap space.

Ekblad is likely gone unless he actually does take a significant pay cut to stay here.

I think Bennett is also likely gone, as much as it pains me to see it, because Anton Lundell seems earmarked as the 2C of the future (and the future is now, old man).

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Ekblad is likely gone unless he actually does take a significant pay cut to stay here.

I think Bennett is also likely gone, as much as it pains me to see it, because Anton Lundell seems earmarked as the 2C of the future (and the future is now, old man).
I figured. I think there will be a lot of teams lining up to open the check book for Bennett. If you're looking to bolster a 2C position for the playoffs, he's as good of an option as any.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Why is it so hard for panthers fans to admit that they have a huge advantage because of taxes? How convenient is it that Yzerman went from instantly being a top GM in Tampa to a terrible GM in Detroit?

1 - have low taxes
2 - be a good team

Every single team can potentially meet the 2nd criteria and be a good team if they are managed properly.

But there are only a few teams that will meet the first criteria because they have no control over taxes.

The panthers were a terrible hockey team for years and now they can finally benefit from their low taxes because they have a great team.

:help:

Because we don't think it's the primary driver: we see teams with great culture, amenities, and winning records securing fair deals for top players—take Nathan MacKinnon or Adam Fox, who signed in less favorable tax environments.

It's an easy excuse to attribute player decisions solely to taxes, but low-tax states are thriving now, much like how from 2010-2015, states with higher taxes like Illinois, Massachusetts, and California attracted and retained elite talent. Players consider many factors beyond taxes, including team success, culture, and market potential, which often outweigh financial considerations.

For the past few years, teams in low tax states are doing well, but I don't think taxes are the determinant as much as (a) luck those teams are doing well and (b) these low tax states had favorable attributes during Covid for super wealthy super stars (good weather+less restrictive Covid policy)

This is a quantitative question tho

Jan 21, 2018
Then why e.g. Matthews sticks around when neither of those categories matches with the Laughs?

You literally quoted my post where i said:

1 - have low taxes
2 - be a good team

Did matthews sign a cheap contract? Obviously not.

Thanks for proving my point that matthews didn’t sign a cheap contract because toronto has high taxes!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad