Proposal: (FL) Sam Bennett for (PIT) Evgeni Malkin

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Wouldn’t be a bad move for the Panthers at all lol

Oreoing Malkin between Barkov and Lundell and giving him Verhaeghe and Tkachuk would give Florida an absolutely ruthless line up.

In 23-24 Malkin out produced Sam Bennett.

Goals, points etc.

No idea in hell why Florida wouldn’t jump for joy if this was offered.
Tell Me you don't watch hockey without telling me you don't watch hockey.

Age, cap hit and two way physical play leadership and a conn Smyth level performance in the playoffs. Buutttttt PoIntsS. Most hf post ever. Bennett exudes the Panthers identity. A concept I doubt you understand.

WaitingForThatCab

#1 Nick Cousins Fan Account
Mar 11, 2017

Yeah, but he's about to turn 38 in July. How's he going to look playing a season at age 39? He's obviously already feeling some effects of age, and the decline is often a very steep slope.

Florida's cap situation is a problem -- the team couldn't retain basically anyone except Reinhart and Lundell -- and this wouldn't help. Bennett, as much as I love him, probably doesn't remain with the team after this season, for cap reasons.

I think it would be a bad deal for both teams.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Tell Me you don't watch hockey without telling me you don't watch hockey.

Age, cap hit and two way physical play leadership and a conn Smyth level performance in the playoffs. Buutttttt PoIntsS. Most hf post ever. Bennett exudes the Panthers identity. A concept I doubt you understand.

You realize who Evgeni Malkin is right?

Yeah, but he's about to turn 38 in July. How's he going to look playing a season at age 39? He's obviously already feeling some effects of age, and the decline is often a very steep slope.

Florida's cap situation is a problem -- the team couldn't retain basically anyone except Reinhart and Lundell -- and this wouldn't help. Bennett, as much as I love him, probably doesn't remain with the team after this season, for cap reasons.

I think it would be a bad deal for both teams.

Malkin is a generational player. He put up
67 points last year playing with mediocre wings and with a non-functioning powerplay.

The cap situation is helped as you outlined. You get Malkin for 2 more years over Bennett for 1.

This is a bizarre argument. I can not believe how much some Florida fans are overrating Sam Bennett…

WaitingForThatCab

#1 Nick Cousins Fan Account
Mar 11, 2017
67 points last year playing with mediocre wings and with a non-functioning powerplay.

The cap situation is helped as you outlined. You get Malkin for 2 more years over Bennett for 1.

This is a bizarre argument. I can not believe how much some Florida fans are overrating Sam Bennett…

This doesn't help the cap situation at all, though. Bennett only having one more year on his contract (at a lower cap hit) is very preferable, which is precisely why Bennett is preferable. And, as much as I love Benny, I think it is a safe assumption that Lundell is the team's 2C of the future, and Sam Bennett will likely cash in a nice payday somewhere else.

That 2nd year of Malkin at 6.1 could be the difference between Carter Verhaeghe (a core player for the Panthers) being re-signed or not. That's really what this comes down to here. I think the Panthers have a great, great cap situation set up for the future, but they still have one tricky off-season to navigate. They're going to need to find something like $8m to re-sign Verhaeghe, plus whatever they're going to have to pay to get a first pairing RD.

Again, this isn't about Malkin. Malkin is a great player, and even if we assume that he ages well and continues to be great at age 39, the trade just doesn't make sense from a salary structure standpoint. This is why you don't tie up $14.5 million in goaltending, btw.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
This doesn't help the cap situation at all, though. Bennett only having one more year on his contract (at a lower cap hit) is very preferable, which is precisely why Bennett is preferable. And, as much as I love Benny, I think it is a safe assumption that Lundell is the team's 2C of the future, and Sam Bennett will likely cash in a nice payday somewhere else.

That 2nd year of Malkin at 6.1 could be the difference between Carter Verhaeghe (a core player for the Panthers) being re-signed or not. That's really what this comes down to here. I think the Panthers have a great, great cap situation set up for the future, but they still have one tricky off-season to navigate. They're going to need to find something like $8m to re-sign Verhaeghe, plus whatever they're going to have to pay to get a first pairing RD.

Again, this isn't about Malkin. Malkin is a great player, and even if we assume that he ages well and continues to be great at age 39, the trade just doesn't make sense from a salary structure standpoint. This is why you don't tie up $14.5 million in goaltending, btw.

The Panthers would have 20+ mil with Malkin on the books. 9 forwards signed, 3 defensemen, and Bob and Knight.

Once again. If the Cats can get Evgeni Malkin for just Sam Bennett on a UFA contract, it's done.

Cat management laughes their way to another cup next year and deals with the cap the year after.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
You realize who Evgeni Malkin is right?

I also know it's 2024 and he is 38 years old. Doesn't even know his teammates names. Is slow and a shell of his former self.

Not a Florida fan I just understand the sport. You simply do not.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
I also know it's 2024 and he is 38 years old. Doesn't even know his teammates names. Is slow and a shell of his former self.

And he's still better than Sam Bennett. That's the funny part.

Evgeni Malkin is likely putting up another 80-90 pt season if he is given wingers like Verhaeghe and Tkachuk on a regular basis.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
He's not but you don't know hockey. No he isn't an 80 to 90 point player. Physicality and compete are pillars to a championship team.

Yeah, Evgeni Malkin knows nothing about being a pillar for a championship team.

He put up 67 points with Smith and Rakell being his most common line-ups.

I can't believe someone is arguing Sam Bennett has more championship pedigree than Evgeni Malkin.

Absolutely bizarre.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Yeah, Evgeni Malkin knows nothing about being a pillar for a championship team.

He put up 67 points with Smith and Rakell being his most common line-ups.

I can't believe someone is arguing Sam Bennett has more championship pedigree than Evgeni Malkin.

Absolutely bizarre.
He's an incredibly selfish player it's well documented he wouldn't have fit in with Florida's culture at this point. Doesn't play with a motor isn't hard on the forcheck. Its hard for people that have no clue what they are watching to identify these aspects of the sport.

Smith and Rackell are both 50 + point players. Pittsburghs PP had the most talent in the league outside of Edmonton. Maybe he was the problem.

Blatantly obvious watching him he's lost a step. If you're only capable of evaluating based on past year statistics maybe exit this conversation graciously.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
He's an incredibly selfish player it's well documented he wouldn't have fit in with Florida's culture at this point. Doesn't play with a motor isn't hard on the forcheck. Its hard for people that have no clue what they are watching to identify these aspects of the sport.

Smith and Rackell are both 50 + point players. Pittsburghs PP had the most talent in the league outside of Edmonton. Maybe he was the problem.

Blatantly obvious watching him he's lost a step. If you're only capable of evaluating based on past year statistics maybe exit this conversation graciously.

Okay. We are done here.

Good luck, sir.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
He's an incredibly selfish player it's well documented he wouldn't have fit in with Florida's culture at this point.

EWBS91NWkAIYoTR.jpg

Yes, the guy who has spent his entire career gleefully in Sid's shadow and with leftovers as his linemates is somehow selfish.

Oh, right, he's Russian.

Panthers Propaganda

We're a team
Oct 28, 2015
Canada
Wouldn’t be a bad move for the Panthers at all lol

Oreoing Malkin between Barkov and Lundell and giving him Verhaeghe and Tkachuk would give Florida an absolutely ruthless line up.

Goals, points etc.

No idea in hell why Florida wouldn’t jump for joy if this was offered.
He is 37 no thanks.

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
Thread reeks of cup hangover. Whatever. I get the sentiment it's the hyperbolic takes that are a bit silly here.

Somehow Bennett is better than Malkin - and the only actual reason given is physicality....ignore the fact that Malkin would double his point totals in each category given the linemates Bennett has had / will get.

When Malkin turns 40 he will still eclipse any player Bennett ever hopes to be. If he was 25 I wouldn't trade him for half your squad today.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Thread reeks of cup hangover. Whatever. I get the sentiment it's the hyperbolic takes that are a bit silly here.

Somehow Bennett is better than Malkin - and the only actual reason given is physicality....ignore the fact that Malkin would double his point totals in each category given the linemates Bennett has had / will get.

When Malkin turns 40 he will still eclipse any player Bennett ever hopes to be. If he was 25 I wouldn't trade him for half your squad today.
Malkin sucks in the playoffs even though he's the 2nd most active playoff player for points. Not his fault our team sucks now and can't make it. Since Tocchet left we have only made it past the 1st round once.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC

Malkin is one of the Big Three of his generation, and a top two playoff performer of said generation.

Sam Bennet at his absolute Sunday best is not fit to carry even a 40-year-old Malkin’s jockstrap. The gulf in talent between the two is simply too wide.

Reactions: Big McLargehuge

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad