Proposal: (FL) Sam Bennett for (PIT) Evgeni Malkin

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
What would it take from lightning to acquire malkin? We would have to move out at least sheary or perbix. Not trading vasi,hagel,point,kucherov,hedman, and Moser.

He lives close to the Panthers facilities. Tampa is a couple hours so could be intriguing - but the obvious is that he needs to request/waive the NMC. From there it would be a matter of whatever short-term salary you want to send back and maybe a pick(s) or something.

Hockey Know it all

Mar 10, 2019
Kane had a $10.5MM cap hit on a team going into a rebuild. If Toews wasn't hurt he'd of been shipped out as well.

Malkin has a $6MM cap hit on a team that could still contend.
Pens won’t contend anymore man.

They just aren’t very good anymore and are one of the oldest teams in the league.

Reactions: ViD

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
Kane had a $10.5MM cap hit on a team going into a rebuild. If Toews wasn't hurt he'd of been shipped out as well.

Malkin has a $6MM cap hit on a team that could still contend.
I love my Penguins. I have had an irrational level of obession with this team over the span of my life. Along with that Malkin is and has been my favorite player in the league since his rookie season.

They are not contending again until the team rebuilds after the post Crosby, Malkin, and Letang era ends. At this point my hopes are that I at least get to see them win one more round in the playoffs before they start retiring or moving on and even that I admit is a slim hope.

Call me pessimistic... I am just being flat out realistic. My team will not contend again until a rebuild is complete.

Reactions: Laus723

PenguinSuitedUp

Sponsor
Oct 2, 2019
For thinking those guys COULD carry teams and supporting them with strict sidecars. For wasting cap year after year on non-impactful players that were never going to be impactful. Not a hindsight conclusion. For sticking with a loser coach who can't adapt and is horrendous with youth talent (sort of what you need these days). For a lot of things.

The first point is the biggest. The fact that they have straight up leaned on THE TWO HEADED MONSTER@W#$% for the past several years is completely ridiculous and the fact that we have the same money as everyone else but have chosen to spend it where we have is also ridiculous.

To the point though - the values are near identical regardless of the hyperbole here. Malkin lives 20 minutes from the Panther practice facility (traffic not withstanding).... so that's why he would waive. Also why retire here for the sake of it without competing and with all the pressure he gets as a relied upon 2C? Why not go somewhere (anywhere) else that will have a better support from linemates?

Malkin today is better than Bennett is/was/will ever be. By a country mile.

This is doing Malkin a favor while trying to get the Pens a respectable asset to flip. Bennett is overrated as hell but I'm not saying he's not a great player or anything.
You aren’t doing Malkin any favors. He wants to stay in Pittsburgh. There is no incentive for the Penguins to do this.

gach

Aug 2, 2018
Meanwhile, Geno owns a home in Miami.
For thinking those guys COULD carry teams and supporting them with strict sidecars. For wasting cap year after year on non-impactful players that were never going to be impactful. Not a hindsight conclusion. For sticking with a loser coach who can't adapt and is horrendous with youth talent (sort of what you need these days). For a lot of things.

The first point is the biggest. The fact that they have straight up leaned on THE TWO HEADED MONSTER@W#$% for the past several years is completely ridiculous and the fact that we have the same money as everyone else but have chosen to spend it where we have is also ridiculous.

To the point though - the values are near identical regardless of the hyperbole here. Malkin lives 20 minutes from the Panther practice facility (traffic not withstanding).... so that's why he would waive. Also why retire here for the sake of it without competing and with all the pressure he gets as a relied upon 2C? Why not go somewhere (anywhere) else that will have a better support from linemates?

This is doing Malkin a favor while trying to get the Pens a respectable asset to flip. Bennett is overrated as hell but I'm not saying he's not a great player or anything.
While than keep him and tell him to buy a house in Pittsburgh.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Malkin will be here this year. But I can see him wanting to go to Florida his last year and the Pens accommodating him. I also think much depends on Sid here and if he signs a 2 year extension, It may be an understanding Sid will be OK with being moved to a cup team. No reason to keep these 2 and Karlsson as the last two have big time value.

hurdemz

Tub thumpin'
Jul 15, 2022
Ssm, ON
I think most panthers fans are still drunk from celebrating the cup win. They actually think Sam Bennett is better than malkin. Not 10 years ago, not last year, not ever will Bennett be considered better than malkin. Dudes a monster.

You wanna use the "Bennett is a cup winner" argument? Malkin can't hear you guys over his 3 rings.

• Haha
Reactions: Gurglesons

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
I don't think Malkin has anything close to this value today. Bennett is exceptionally important to a team that just went to the Final two years in a row, winning 15 seconds ago.

That's beside the point, though. His value is in part emotional to Pittsburgh. The Pens, having held on to him for this long, are going to let Malkin retire a Pen, I think. I say "let" but Malkin has the full NMC, drives whatever conversation there is to be had, and seems to want to stay.

WaitingForThatCab

#1 Nick Cousins Fan Account
Mar 11, 2017
I think most panthers fans are still drunk from celebrating the cup win. They actually think Sam Bennett is better than malkin. Not 10 years ago, not last year, not ever will Bennett be considered better than malkin. Dudes a monster.

You wanna use the "Bennett is a cup winner" argument? Malkin can't hear you guys over his 3 rings.

The Panthers desperately need cap room right now. Malkin has 2 years left at 6+ and let's be honest, he's at the age where his play is dropping off and could drop off rather precipitously.

It would be a bad move for the Panthers, and it would suck for Pittsburgh to ship off a franchise legend.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

Neutral fan here. You're way off. Bennett gives a team a way better chance to win right now. Not talking about careers it's 2024. It's not close either. Hf will never truly appreciate a player like Bennett like the real hockey world. Does.

Reactions: Laus723

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
The Panthers desperately need cap room right now. Malkin has 2 years left at 6+ and let's be honest, he's at the age where his play is dropping off and could drop off rather precipitously.

It would be a bad move for the Panthers, and it would suck for Pittsburgh to ship off a franchise legend.

Wouldn’t be a bad move for the Panthers at all lol

Oreoing Malkin between Barkov and Lundell and giving him Verhaeghe and Tkachuk would give Florida an absolutely ruthless line up.

Neutral fan here. You're way off. Bennett gives a team a way better chance to win right now. Not talking about careers it's 2024. It's not close either. Hf will never truly appreciate a player like Bennett like the real hockey world. Does.

In 23-24 Malkin out produced Sam Bennett.

Goals, points etc.

No idea in hell why Florida wouldn’t jump for joy if this was offered.

Reactions: KrisLeturnover

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad