Fixing The Power Play...

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
Our puck movement is too perimeter focused and doesn't stretch out the D, which makes us easy to defend. Its not about talent or weapons, we have those, it's the mentality and pace
The perimeter hockey is a major issue, we need guys willing to play the bumper but our stars want to dangle around the outside

Washington had a great structure, but that's because they had an elite bumper player (Oshie) who would force defenses to worry about him opening up space for Ovi/Carlson/Kuznetsov

Tampa had a great structure, but they also have an elite bumper player (Point) who forces defenses to worry about him opening up space for Kucherov/Hedman/Stamkos

We don't have an elite bumper talent, JT goes for tips and that's about it

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
The perimeter hockey is a major issue, we need guys willing to play the bumper but our stars want to dangle around the outside

Washington had a great structure, but that's because they had an elite bumper player (Oshie) who would force defenses to worry about him opening up space for Ovi/Carlson/Kuznetsov

Tampa had a great structure, but they also have an elite bumper player (Point) who forces defenses to worry about him opening up space for Kucherov/Hedman/Stamkos

We don't have an elite bumper talent, JT goes for tips and that's about it
They don't use Tavares as much of a bumper anymore (which they should) and they tend to go high low more than east west. One big thing with a strong bumper is their touches are quick and minimal, which JT can handle.

But typically we have a few guys over handling pucks on the outside instead of quick movement to open things up. They just play too slow

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
What are we noticing are the differences that Savard has brought this year?

They don't use Tavares as much of a bumper anymore (which they should) and they tend to go high low more than east west. One big thing with a strong bumper is their touches are quick and minimal, which JT can handle.

But typically we have a few guys over handling pucks on the outside instead of quick movement to open things up. They just play too slow
“Too slow” compared to some others has always been the most noticeable difference for me.

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016

PP1

Knies
Nylander - Domi - Matthews
OEL

PP2

Tavares
Marner - Robertson/Patches - Matthews
Rielly​

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
I'm going to let you guys in on a secret. Anytime we had difficulties and replaced Rielly on the point, the issues remained. In the past, our issues have typically stemmed from:
- Difficulty entering the zone due to the same 2-option set play 99% of the time.
- not being direct and staying to the outside. Especially when the PP was slumping.

Neither of these have to do with our point option.

I'm totally okay with OEL replacing Rielly, but the powerplay strategy needs to be addressed amongst our star forwards for this to turn around.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
I mean if you watched the last powerplay, you have 4 guys (Matthews, Marner, Nylander, OEL) basically begging to be on the outside and have the puck on their stick

You cannot have everyone crowded on the outside playing cute hockey. They should split the stars up and run them 1 minute each. Get guys who will compliment the stars by sitting in the bumper and near the net

Um, you know OEL is a defenceman right? It isn't his job to go to the middle or the front of the net.

Yep looked immediately better. Marner is becoming a problem as well, they keep running it through him but Willy is a better zone entry option and he's also not a threat to shoot ever and all he does is defer it to Matthews and Willy. If he was at least setting them up for one timers I wouldn't mind him so much but he's not even doing that, he'll just go in a circle before doing a short pass off or force a pass that gets deflected or intercepted. For someone who was praised so much for his creativity and vision I sure as f*** haven't seen that on the PP for quite some time now.

Replace Marner with Domi.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
I don't think you need to fix it yet, it came REALLY close to breaking through last night

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Sweet Jebus, I can't believe you actually said that. They don't get points for coming close do they? Close only counts in horse shoes and hand grenades.

HamiltonNHL

Resigning Marner == Running it back
Jan 4, 2012

PP1

Knies
Nylander - Domi - Matthews
OEL

PP2

Tavares
Marner - Robertson/Patches - Matthews
Rielly​

This would be what I’d try.

We need to learn how to PP with a legit slap shot on the point.

JT might be a better choice than Knies for PP1 against certain teams.

Last edited:

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

Sweet Jebus, I can't believe you actually said that. They don't get points for coming close do they? Close only counts in horse shoes and hand grenades.

If they don't break through against LA then you fix it but they came close enough that I'm confident that assuming they get PP chances on Wednesday the dam bursts on Wednesday.

Especially with LA not having Doughty

HamiltonNHL

Resigning Marner == Running it back
Jan 4, 2012
I'm going to let you guys in on a secret. Anytime we had difficulties and replaced Rielly on the point, the issues remained.
OEL is the the change

They had a lot of zone time.

Of course that was against the slow Penguins.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
It is very hard for the same 5 PP players to change how they play on the PP just bc there is a new coach as they had been together for 6 yrs and over 1000 PP mins.

Switching out anyone of them and inserting a new player on the PP will change the outlook due to the different style the new player brings plus hopefully the adjustments made by other players.

To me Reilly needs to go as he just doesn’t like to shoot the puck on PP.

JT is another that needs to go as he often don’t screen the goalie but rather stand on the side of the goalie looking for redirect.

Put OEL and Knies and the PP would be much better as long as AM, MM and Willie begin moving the pucks quicker instead of holding it and then passing it like years past.

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
Um, you know OEL is a defenceman right? It isn't his job to go to the middle or the front of the net.

Replace Marner with Domi.
I know, but the issue becomes we have 4 guys on the perimeter. They all have valid reasons to be on the outside, but together it's redundant

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad