Fixing The Power Play...

DitchMarner

TheGlitchintheSwitch
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
Toronto's PP continues to underperform, and it is getting very frustrating. The PP basically cost the team that series against BOS and has yet to score a goal this season in three games. A fix is needed. When the Leafs received their last PP tonight, my first thought was, "well, at least this will kill two minutes." They have the kind of personnel that can do major damage and they've had a good PP with the current core at times in the past. What should be done to improve the Power Play?

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
I mean if you watched the last powerplay, you have 4 guys (Matthews, Marner, Nylander, OEL) basically begging to be on the outside and have the puck on their stick

You cannot have everyone crowded on the outside playing cute hockey. They should split the stars up and run them 1 minute each. Get guys who will compliment the stars by sitting in the bumper and near the net

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Well for starters OEL is going to be replacing Rielly soon, that's gonna be a good starting point.
Yep looked immediately better. Marner is becoming a problem as well, they keep running it through him but Willy is a better zone entry option and he's also not a threat to shoot ever and all he does is defer it to Matthews and Willy. If he was at least setting them up for one timers I wouldn't mind him so much but he's not even doing that, he'll just go in a circle before doing a short pass off or force a pass that gets deflected or intercepted. For someone who was praised so much for his creativity and vision I sure as f*** haven't seen that on the PP for quite some time now.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
I would replace Rielly and Marner on the top unit with OEL and Knies.

PP 1 -
OEL
Matthews - Nylander
Tavares
Knies

PP 2 -
Rielly
Robertson - Marner
Domi
Pacioretty

Creates some internal competition.

Ad