First Dirty Hit of the Year! Brennan Othman with a late blindside hit on Parker Wotherspoon.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
That was not dirty. But definitely a late hit.
Hitting an unexpected player like that is dirty. That type of extremely late hit to a defenseless player can result in a concussion from the whiplash. Can be worse than a direct headshot. That one wasn't hard enough. But still predatory hit IMO.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld
Mar 12, 2009
I feel like all the tough guys who say "you must have never played hockey", have never played hockey themselves because they're calling this clean by the rulebook? Lmao

It's pretty clear if someone calls something dirty, a handful of people will reactionarily go "uh lol no, u soft", regardless of how dumb they come off.

Yes, because refs never miss a call. You've solved the debate with your top notch, inarguable logic. This forum is so blessed to have you!
He's already wrong about the future of currency, this is just one more notch on his wrong belt.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I feel mislead. It wasn’t very sportsman like but wouldn’t be more than a minor unless there was an injury. It was “dirty” in the way hockey has always been a dirty sport.

It’s the hit that leads to a fight. Which it did.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
I feel like all the tough guys who say "you must have never played hockey", have never played hockey themselves because they're calling this clean by the rulebook? Lmao

It's pretty clear if someone calls something dirty, a handful of people will reactionarily go "uh lol no, u soft", regardless of how dumb they come off.

He's already wrong about the future of currency, this is just one more notch on his wrong belt.
They’re also the same guys who have played hockey at the level of the local house league/men’s league bottom tier while trying to talk the game yet not understanding basic skills/systems. They’ll be able to yell “shoot the puck” the loudest on the power play though with their beer stained DHGate jersey though.

Last edited:
Reactions: Coaches Coroner

Toby91ca

Oct 17, 2022
My take: Was it dirty? Absolutely. Does that mean it should be more than a 2min penalty? No.

I agree here, it should be 2 min for interference, I don't think anyone is going to try arguing it's a 5 or a suspension worthy hit, but I'll call it for what is it....dirty. I throw in the dirty here too simply because I have no idea why the hit took place to begin with, what's he trying to do other than being a bit dirty and trying to get under the other team's skin?

The thing that bothers me though, the guy dumps the puck in and is moving in the other direction to expect to defend, or go for a change, or whatever. He's not expecting a hit there, there was no need for it.

The hit was a bit of a blindside hit too, but most of that was due to the player looking in the other direction....wasn't head contact though.

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
People saying this hit isn't dirty are that guy in beer league
It was shoulder on shoulder interference, wasn’t hit in a vulnerable area or vulnerable position. It was just strictly interference. I don’t see how people can label it “dirty”. It was a good hit just away from the play. You see these hits 1,000s of times every season.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
It was shoulder on shoulder interference, wasn’t hit in a vulnerable area or vulnerable position. It was just strictly interference. I don’t see how people can label it “dirty”. It was a good hit just away from the play. You see these hits 1,000s of times every season.
It’s dirty in the sense of it being late instead of where the contact was made. It doesn’t have to be an elbow to the head or boarding to an unsuspecting guy from being to be considered dirty. It can just be a straight up late hit.

Three On Zero

Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
It’s dirty in the sense of it being late instead of where the contact was made. It doesn’t have to be an elbow to the head or boarding to an unsuspecting guy from being to be considered dirty. It can just be a straight up late hit.
Late hit =/= dirty hit, a late hit is just interference. Just because you hit someone late doesn’t automatically make it a dirty hit

Reactions: Fatass

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
Late hit =/= dirty hit, a late hit is just interference. Just because you hit someone late doesn’t automatically make it a dirty hit
Late from a blindside angle = dirty. Late but directly at a guy to finish the play is completely different. Othmann threw that hit from a blindside angle on Wotherspoon and late which is the issue people have. Reverse the roles and you’d have Chuck E. Cheese token boy and all his culprits wanting a 10 game suspension as a result. Now what happens if Chityl takes the same hit as Wotherspoon next preseason game and gets a concussion? Will it be ok that the refs missed it and the player who threw the hit doesn’t get discipline?

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Interference and nothing more.

There is nothing illegal about blindside hits. That language was removed, I think, in the second year of rule 48...and of course it required head as the principle point of contact as well.

Three On Zero

Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Late from a blindside angle = dirty. Late but directly at a guy to finish the play is completely different. Othmann threw that hit from a blindside angle on Wotherspoon and late which is the issue people have. Reverse the roles and you’d have Chuck E. Cheese token boy and all his culprits wanting a 10 game suspension as a result. Now what happens if Chityl takes the same hit as Wotherspoon next preseason game and gets a concussion? Will it be ok that the refs missed it and the player who threw the hit doesn’t get discipline?
I don’t like either team so I don’t care who gets disciplined :laugh: . It’s was still well within his field of view, the hit didn’t come from a direction where he had no abilities to see it coming. Guy was caught with a shoulder on shoulder hit while puck watching. It’s interference but not dirty, now had he gone for the hit from an angle the player couldn’t see? That would be dirty.

By saying this was a dirty hit, we would be saying most hits in the NHL are dirty. Player gets knocked down in front of the net? Guess all those are dirty too?

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
He turtled faster than Claude Lemieux in a line brawl.

It was a late hit but not a particularly dirty hit, 2 minutes for interference and that's about it.

Reactions: frozenrubber

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Not going to get into conditions for labeling a hit dirty, but that's the kind of hit that causes teammates to go after someone who hits their teammates regardless of whether the hit is clean. Because (i) they didn't see or weren't focused on the hit as it happened, and (ii) have no faith in the officials.

Hits like that should result in penalties. If there are patterns of players hitting like that there should be additional consequences. And when there isn't, players will take things into their own hand, which is what happens.

Toby91ca

Oct 17, 2022
Agree....but there are dirty plays 1,000s of times every season. If it's a hit away from the play, it's dirty.

When you are in the arena, you see far more dirty stuff (away from the play) that you don't see on TV. Example...little cross checks, jabs, slashes. They happen ALL THE TIME....every game....normally against the star players. No big deal, everyone expects it, but it's still dirty.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
I don’t like either team so I don’t care who gets disciplined :laugh: . It’s was still well within his field of view, the hit didn’t come from a direction where he had no abilities to see it coming. Guy was caught with a shoulder on shoulder hit while puck watching. It’s interference but not dirty, now had he gone for the hit from an angle the player couldn’t see? That would be dirty.

By saying this was a dirty hit, we would be saying most hits in the NHL are dirty. Player gets knocked down in front of the net? Guess all those are dirty too?
He was completely out of Wotherspoon’s view and came in with the hit, that’s where I’m getting the blindside from. Like I said, reverse the roles and you’d have a bigger outcry for discipline then you do based on comments.

The angle itself was questionable besides the fact of it being late. There’s quite a bit of dirty hits in the league that do get ignored as a result. Getting rid of the clutching and grabbing increased the frequency of the dirty hits.
If you want to go to the net front stuff, they call that well beyond what they should. Guys straight up flop near the net and don’t get touched for diving. That’s a whole different beast in itself. I’ve watched guys back into defenseman, fall down and get calls as a result. Same with guys who back into thc

He came from an angle completely out of his view and late, reverse the teams and you’d have people on here demanding Parris suspend Parker Wotherspoon until next season.
If you want to talk net front battles, how many times do you see goalies flop because someone stood near their crease? Even forwards who back into defenseman and then fall and sell calls for cross check? Diving is a whole different beast compared to this.

Three On Zero

Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
He was completely out of Wotherspoon’s view and came in with the hit, that’s where I’m getting the blindside from. Like I said, reverse the roles and you’d have a bigger outcry for discipline then you do based on comments.

The angle itself was questionable besides the fact of it being late. There’s quite a bit of dirty hits in the league that do get ignored as a result. Getting rid of the clutching and grabbing increased the frequency of the dirty hits.
If you want to go to the net front stuff, they call that well beyond what they should. Guys straight up flop near the net and don’t get touched for diving. That’s a whole different beast in itself. I’ve watched guys back into defenseman, fall down and get calls as a result. Same with guys who back into thc

He came from an angle completely out of his view and late, reverse the teams and you’d have people on here demanding Parris suspend Parker Wotherspoon until next season.
If you want to talk net front battles, how many times do you see goalies flop because someone stood near their crease? Even forwards who back into defenseman and then fall and sell calls for cross check? Diving is a whole different beast compared to this.
All he had to do was turn his head, that’s still within his field of view, to me a blindside hit would be when a player needs to turn or pivot to see it coming. How overmen do we see a big hit and say “keep your head up!” Are those also dirty hits?

Toby91ca

Oct 17, 2022
Interference and nothing more.

There is nothing illegal about blindside hits. That language was removed, I think, in the second year of rule 48...and of course it required head as the principle point of contact as well.
They removed reference to "blindside" not because it should be legal, but the rule in question was in reference to headshots, so they wanted to broaden the definition to go beyond just blindside hits.

I would say blindside here simply to suggest it was a total unsuspecting player....which makes it dirty in my mind. What does that mean to me? Nothing really, it's just a thought....little bit dirty, no expecting, no need, it's late.....it's dirty. Dirty doesn't bring any additional meaning to me. Hook someone down, not really dirty, but it's a penalty, 2 min. This play I call dirty, but also suggest it's just a 2 min penalty.

Three On Zero

Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Agree....but there are dirty plays 1,000s of times every season. If it's a hit away from the play, it's dirty.

When you are in the arena, you see far more dirty stuff (away from the play) that you don't see on TV. Example...little cross checks, jabs, slashes. They happen ALL THE TIME....every game....normally against the star players. No big deal, everyone expects it, but it's still dirty.
Dirty to me is when a player doesn’t have an opportunity to see it, that’s not the case with this hit.

Toby91ca

Oct 17, 2022
All he had to do was turn his head, that’s still within his field of view, to me a blindside hit would be when a player needs to turn or pivot to see it coming. How overmen do we see a big hit and say “keep your head up!” Are those also dirty hits?
I don't know about that. I get the player wasn't looking in the direction he was going....but that's not necessarily abnormal. It's not a keep your head up thing. Keep your head up is something you yell at guys who are looking down at the puck, looking at the ice....you need to know where you are going, who is coming, etc. He had his head up here, he was just following where the puck was going so he could react. There should have been no expectation of getting hit there, so he shouldn't have needed to turn and see what was coming from the other direction.

Dirty to me is when a player doesn’t have an opportunity to see it, that’s not the case with this hit.
This makes no sense. So if a guy is standing 6 feet from the board and gets nailed from behind, head first into the boards, it's not dirty because the guy has the opportunity to turn his head around to see what is coming?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad