Proposal: First 3 moves you would do as the new CBJ GM ?

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
How do you see getting Columbus out of the hole it’s been in for the last few years ?

Main issues:

- no solid veteran leadership
- a complete mess with the offensive system
- a lot of injuries every year
- Gaudreau not performing to his level and role
- no consistency with the goalies

Possible moves
- 1st round pick traded ? After the lottery obviously
- Laine and Elvis movable ?
- Guys like Provorov traded at the draft
- I can see some of the top prospects/young players being traded for a solid roster player

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
The Oilers route: they'll continue to suck until they luck into a piece from the draft that they can truly build around. Fantilli becoming that would also help. Aside from Werenski and Jenner, none of their veterans are worth anything, so it's just better to wait out their contracts too - and the many good prospects and young guns will likely develop over the next few years. Hopefully they can find them some leadership and support.

Man, people did not listen when they were told that trading Bjorkstrand to keep Laine was a colossal mistake. If they have to add something to the team, a Bjorkstrand -type of a guy would come a long way in adding structure and leadership.

What they should also do in the meantime is to fire all the front office guys who are only there because they played for the organisation before. I mean, Jared f***ing Boll as your assistant coach? Dorsett? Letestu? Why?

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Gott make a few trades to free up cap space. Elvis comes to mind. Gaudreau. One of the D as well.

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
They have to take extreme measures to get out of where they are
I'd plan a 4 or 5 years rebuild

1- Trade everyone (that doesn't have Fantilli as a last name) that has value for picks. Keep the prospects you want but everyone else must go

2- Hire UFA mercenaries with 1 year or 2 years max contract. The more they suck ass the better, you want to tank hard

3- Trade the players that did well for more picks at the tdl

4- Hire one or two good vets to help the kids

5- Be the garbageman of the NHL and get paid in picks to get bad contracts, but none must be more than 2 years

6- Draft well

7- Rince and repeat Up until you fell like you're ready to go

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
1. Get the best Two-way center money can buy. This is a MUST. They need at the minimum, 1 VERY good center

2. Build a D-core through the draft. Keep bolstering that blue line by spending atleast a 2nd round pick on a defender for the next couple years

3. Draft or trade for more centers. Eventually you’ll find one that fits.

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
Implement a coach and development system that has a clue

Use players in roles that play to strengths

Add two way ufas

Reactions: Xoggz22

tmg

Jul 10, 2003
Ottawa
Possible moves
- I can see some of the top prospects/young players being traded for a solid roster player

These two even being suggested is absurd. This team is not close. This team is not in a position where they’re the ones trading futures for established talent.

Reactions: HabsQC

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
How do you see getting Columbus out of the hole it’s been in for the last few years ?

Main issues:

- no solid veteran leadership

- a complete mess with the offensive system
- a lot of injuries every year
- Gaudreau not performing to his level and role
- no consistency with the goalies

Possible moves
- Laine and Elvis movable ?
- Guys like Provorov traded at the draft
Dude...Boone...Jenner...My Dude...

Reactions: HabsQC

Iwishihadaspacebar

Apr 27, 2021
1. Find out who actually wants to be there.
2. Try and get Elias Lindholm. Whilst he hasn't been brilliant the last year, you'd hope him and Johnny Hockey can click again. He'd also give protection to Fantili and Johnson as they develop. Chandler Stephenson would be a fallback.
3. Sort out the D. At least 2 of Provorov, Gudbranson, Boqvist and Bean go. Jiricek is starting next season next to Werenski.
4. Contact teams who need a retool if they don't win this year, for younger players with experience (eg NYR about Kakko and Lindgren, Carolina about Necas) to see the prices.
5. Bring in some size for the bottom 6.
6. Find someone to take Elvis, if there is anyone.

Whilst that is 6 points, 2, 3 and 5 are the actual initial moves.

Last edited:

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
definitely not as dire as some would lead you to believe, I hate watching them but they have plenty of pieces for the future. They need a Nashville type offseason from last year, throw some money at leadership.
The cap situation isnt bad, they have space and noone commanding a major pay raise. Maybe they try and throw some at Marchenko or Chinakhov to try and have a steal type contract in the future.

They need to find a reliable veteran forward or 2, a steady defender and an NHL coach. Lindholm may have dropped his value to something more realistic and maybe would be ok with a Gaudreau reunion.

They just need more veterans to begin with. Yeah they were high picks but having damn near half the roster as kids is not going to go well

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
So far I'm not seeing much good advice here.

The Blue Jackets have tons of cap space. They already have tons of young players.

Have a look at the teams in the playoffs, they have between zero and two players age 23 or younger. About half of the Blue Jackets roster is 23 or under. The blind are leading the blind.

I think what they need to do is narrow down which young players they want to keep, and make some room for quality veteran additions.

A shutdown D or two, plus a great two-way center, would be huge additions. But you'll need to remove some young players to make room for that. That and Laine can be rehomed to get a fresh start elsewhere, Elvis bought out, and maybe Provorov traded to make space for a pure shutdown guy.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
These two even being suggested is absurd. This team is not close. This team is not in a position where they’re the ones trading futures for established talent.

When you've already got the youngest club in the league, it's not helpful to get younger. Better veterans will make for a better development environment.

unicornBLOOD

Mar 18, 2022
it's gotta get way worse before it gets better. I'd move everyone other than Fantili and Jenner, Jenner seems to love it there, I'd keep around to groom the next generation. But like Chicago, the Jackets have a long way to go to become a real contender.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
it's gotta get way worse before it gets better. I'd move everyone other than Fantili and Jenner, Jenner seems to love it there, I'd keep around to groom the next generation. But like Chicago, the Jackets have a long way to go to become a real contender.

Bro they've already moved out almost everyone from the previous core. Werenski and Jenner are the only ones left. What good is it to turn over the roster yet again?

They're the youngest team in the league, but posters here seem to think they haven't been rebuilding already.

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
They are a really young team so I doubt they can turn it over again. Also there isn't really a need to do so.

The number one thing the new GM needs to do is not panic and make a desperation move. Just get a few solid vets to mix in to lead and be big brother types. Keep drafting well and be patient.

Reactions: Chainshot

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Hire a good coach, you cant go into the offseason without that in place. You need a coaching staff aligned with your offseason moves.

Imo - Carle from denver pioneers. Good with dmen, good with young talent.

Get rid of any dead weight identified by new coaching staff asap. Especially ones from a lockerroom perspective. See nashville. Buy out, retention, doesnt matter.

- get rid of gudbranson. Hes only taking spot of jirechek, who can play in the bottom pairing to start.

Dont spend big in UFA, go for undervalued vets who can fit your playstylen and not bad in the locker room.

- barabanov?

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad