Fire Tocchet

Status
Not open for further replies.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
If we win our next 4 games in a row and then go 5-5-1 over the last 11, that's 91 points.

W - Mar04 VAN
W - Mar06 CGY
W - Mar09 WPG
W - Mar12 VAN
L - Mar14 NYR
L - Mar16 DAL
L - Mar18 VGK
W - Mar20 DET
W - Mar22 LAK
OTL-Mar25 VGK
L - Mar28 NSH
W - Mar29 SJS
L - Mar31 COL
W - Apr02 VAN
W - Apr04 WPG

A 5 game winning streak? Have we ever done that?

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
If we win our next 4 games in a row and then go 5-5-1 over the last 11, that's 91 points.

W - Mar04 VAN
W - Mar06 CGY
W - Mar09 WPG
W - Mar12 VAN
L - Mar14 NYR
L - Mar16 DAL
L - Mar18 VGK
W - Mar20 DET
W - Mar22 LAK
OTL-Mar25 VGK
L - Mar28 NSH
W - Mar29 SJS
L - Mar31 COL
W - Apr02 VAN
W - Apr04 WPG

The most important teams to pick up wins against are Vancouver, Calgary, Winnipeg, and Nashville. If we can get 7 wins in the 7 games against those teams, that could do enough to keep us ahead of the WC2 spot.

Just remember that Vancouver has two games in hand on us, so if we can win all 3 in regulation, and hold an even point total across the final games with Vancouver, that would mean we are 4 points ahead and Vancouver would have to win both of those games just to tie us.

Calgary has a slightly nasty looking schedule. 12 of the remaining 15 games are against teams in the playoff hunt. The non playoff teams are NJ, Anaheim, and San Jose. Whereas the Coyotes have Detroit, LA, San Jose. Winnipeg has no "easy" teams left. The Preds have quite a few games against East opponents, so a loss to those teams hurts, but not as badly in the sense that no points are going to other teams in the West.

Fortunately, most teams that could have gained ground on Arizona or moved further ahead didn't do so over the weekend, so we may still have something for us. I am just hoping my prediction of having more in the tank comes through for this stretch run. Thought we were going to get a little more before and after the All-Star break, so it has to be these next four games to remain in the mix.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
Optimism seems to be a crime these days.... :DD
this-is-fine.0.jpg

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
Optimism seems to be a crime these days.... :DD
It's tough out here as a Coyotes fan man! :laugh:

I'm usually one of the last to get pissed at the situation, this season is however an inexcusable failure on multiple levels. Outside of being in the hunt still, there is very little that's exciting about our on ice product and a lot of skepticism about the following year without change. Maybe it's a difference in my philosophy, maybe it's lack of insider knowledge, from my perspective we are setting ourselves back at least a few years.

Canis Latrans

Jan 19, 2015
Australia
By the loss of Bahl, Merkley and a mid round pick? I doubt it. I think acquiring Hall was a good bet by Chayka. Tocchet/leadership failed to instill a sense of urgency to the group.
Plus Hall was acquired to spend half a season convincing him to re-sign here, not strictly as a rental for a playoff push. It's just going to be a harder sell with how the team faltered so, but just imagine if we'd have waited until the deadline. He'd cost more as seen with what Coleman cost, and I'd doubt we would have even gone for him based on the team's trajectory. I like the calculated risk taken. The team has a better chance of signing him in the offseason than we ever have had with a top tier free agent even if the odds have gone down since acquiring him.

Generally I see the team as having been in a 1st and 10 type of situation; they went for a hail mary with Hall and it might not work out, but if it's doesn't, the team still is on the right track with it being 2nd and 10. I don't see this setting us back much at all.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
I usually consider myself an optimist, but you are making optimism look like lunacy. :scared: :D

I just said if we can win those 7 games outright. Never said that I thought it was a guarantee, or even would happen. It's basically rt's exact scenario, minus 1 win. Win the next 4 and we are at 4-0. Wins against VAN and WPG at end of year. rt has us losing to Nashville. I do think that is a game we can win, to be honest.

But for the rest to fall in line, we need to play perfect hockey to do so.

I just hope that the single member of the team during the 11-12 year recalls how to play like we did in going 5-0 over the final 5 of that season. The hilarious thing about that was we needed every bit of those points to win the division, so a little different story ( but maybe we don't get past a different team than Chicago if we drop just one of those games).

The biggest mindf*** is that if we do launch a massive win streak, maybe we are being hasty. Like I said, the other teams around us haven't surged ahead terribly far, so ground is there to make up against the right teams.

It has to start tonight in a very tough building.

MIGs Dog

Jan 3, 2012
I just said if we can win those 7 games outright. Never said that I thought it was a guarantee, or even would happen. It's basically rt's exact scenario, minus 1 win. Win the next 4 and we are at 4-0. Wins against VAN and WPG at end of year. rt has us losing to Nashville. I do think that is a game we can win, to be honest.

I just hope that the single member of the team during the 11-12 year recalls how to play like we did in going 5-0 over the final 5 of that season. The hilarious thing about that was we needed every bit of those points to win the division, so a little different story ( but maybe we don't get past a different team than Chicago if we drop just one of those games).

The biggest mindf*** is that if we do launch a massive win streak, maybe we are being hasty. Like I said, the other teams around us haven't surged ahead terribly far, so ground is there to make up against the right teams.

Win the next 4 would be huge. Jets, Flames, Canucks x 2. All slightly ahead in the standings. That would be a 5 game win streak...season-best.

No back-to-backs, but lots of plane travel. Team will probably be tired. :eyeroll:

cobra427

May 6, 2012

One game at a time is how the team has to look at it. I hope we turn it around, I just don't see it magically happening now. If the problem were goal tending, and I don't think it was, Kuemper could solve it.

To me, there are too many under performing players, and I think it is because our coach just isn't good at placing players in a position to succeed. No reason to think OEL/Kessel/Schmaltz are going to catch on fire. We still have time and enough games, world beaters aren't ahead of us, those teams could easily play poorly, I'm hoping for the best:)

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
One game at a time is how the team has to look at it. I hope we turn it around, I just don't see it magically happening now. If the problem were goal tending, and I don't think it was, Kuemper could solve it.

To me, there are too many under performing players, and I think it is because our coach just isn't good at placing players in a position to succeed. No reason to think OEL/Kessel/Schmaltz are going to catch on fire. We still have time and enough games, world beaters aren't ahead of us, those teams could easily play poorly, I'm hoping for the best:)
Yup, everything points back to RT. Not making the playoffs you can also point a finger or two at Chayka. Missing the playoffs should and I think it will, sound an alarm with our owner. Chayka is not going anywhere for the next year, but RT should be fired, along with getting rid of a couple of over paid and under performing vets.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
I'm being gloom and doom?? Whatever.
I don’t know why you have to assume it’s going to get too hot this summer. That’s really glass half empty, don’t you think?

Who cares what the numbers say? Weather isn’t about numbers. This is nature and anything can happen. You cant use data to predict the weather.

Why don’t you sit back and just hope for the best? It could easily just be 80 degrees and sunny every day this summer in Phoenix. It happens to some cities. Why not ours? You’re such a pessimist.

When I go to other places on the internet, they’re much less pessimistic about the weather. So many of the posters here are such weather alarmists. Always predicting hot summers all the time. Let’s just have faith and I’m sure it’ll play out to those splendid 80 degree July days.

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
I don’t know why you have to assume it’s going to get too hot this summer. That’s really glass half empty, don’t you think?

Who cares what the numbers say? Weather isn’t about numbers. This is nature and anything can happen. You cant use data to predict the weather.

Why don’t you sit back and just hope for the best? It could easily just be 80 degrees and sunny every day this summer in Phoenix. It happens to some cities. Why not ours? You’re such a pessimist.

When I go to other places on the internet, they’re much less pessimistic about the weather. So many of the posters here are such weather alarmists. Always predicting hot summers all the time. Let’s just have faith and I’m sure it’ll play out to those splendid 80 degree July days.

Nonsense..... we have sattellites orbiting the earth that control the weather, but like everything else they go berzerk on occasion.

Saw it in a movie once.

Reactions: Surfshop

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Chayka is not going anywhere for the next year, but RT should be fired, along with getting rid of a couple of over paid and under performing vets.

I don't even think Chayka needs to fire Tocchet, necessarily. MacLean and Housley need to go, though. Tocchet's "player whisperer" demeanor might work better if he had offense and defense coaches who are strong tactically and strategically - guys who could create flexible, effective systems between games and who could adapt and inspire in-game. Maybe don't hire Tocchet's pals - a "team of rivals" might be a better idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad