Speculation: Fire Rob Blake Blow it Up Offseason Thread (update: Robitaille, Blake and Hiller stay)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

crassbonanza

Fire Luc
Sep 28, 2017
This team is in deep trouble if Warren f**king Foegele is on our top line. Then again so was Iaffalo for years. I take back what I just said. My bad. We are still in trouble though.

It is kind of wild that we are plugging in a 3rd liner that was scratched during the previous playoffs onto the top line. I'm sure it will work out decently because Kopitar is pretty damn good at carrying mid tier wingers, but the optics are not the best.

• Haha
Reactions: ru4reals

ru4reals

Jul 4, 2007
It is kind of wild that we are plugging in a 3rd liner that was scratched during the previous playoffs onto the top line. I'm sure it will work out decently because Kopitar is pretty damn good at carrying mid tier wingers, but the optics are not the best.
Right! I don't even know what to say anymore. Thinking all these 3rd liners will all of a sudden become world beaters. *sigh*

Reactions: AbsentMojo

ScoreZeGoals

Boooorrrrriiiinnnnng
Jun 29, 2010
The problems/holes coming into the offseason were:

Right shot top six forward (to replace Arvidsson who couldn't stay healthy, and to help the PP): Did absolutely nothing to address this

LD (Gavrikov had a poor year and is very likely gone next year, and Englund was an absolute disaster the last 50 games): VASTLEY overpaid in cap and term to a borderline NHL'er with MAJOR injury issues who was somehow worse than Englund

Goaltending: They go into the season with two goaltenders who would be back-ups on a legit contender...again. Only now we have a overpaid goalie who was horrendous last year that we had to take on to dump Blake's mistake of last year

Toughness: Jeannot definitely addresses this, and Edmundson sure loves to cross check, but these were overpays. At least they did something to address a need this year?

This franchise is going nowhere...fast

KingsOfCali25

Start up the Bandwagon!
Feb 21, 2013
Santa Clarita, CA
f***! I just read the lakingsinsider on Blake's lineup thoughts and we are screwed even more than I thought.

Kempe-Kopitar-Lafreniere
Moore-Danault-Jeannot
Foegele-Byfield-Fiala
Turcotte-Thomas-Lewis
Fagemo

Anderson-Doughty
Gavrikov-Spence
Edmundson-Clarke
Englund, Burroughs

I can't wait for the 3-headed monster to get the boot. I think they made the team worse than the end of Taylor's rein as GM.

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
I dont think there is any question Blake has very little understanding of his players and their capabilities.. this dude has no business being a GM.. he got the job because he was former King, friends w Luc and spent some a some time in the FO.. but no way is this guy a GM.

crassbonanza

Fire Luc
Sep 28, 2017
I know people are down on Kopi/Dewey, but they were still high end players last season.

Dewey was top 20 by nearly every possession analytic and was also top 20 in defenseman scoring and he did this while being 2nd in the league in TOI. Kopitar put up 70 points, with positive possession numbers and logging difficult minutes.

The concern I have is that any slight fall off from those two will be disastrous and adding tweener forwards is not going to cover for them regressing. Why not swing for a Necas or a Pinto? Look into McGroarty? Shit, if we are going fully into competition mode now, go get someone like Lindholm, Stephenson, Teravainen, Stamkos. Marchy, Skjei, Pesce, Chychrun, etc? Shit, even someone like Skinner would be better to spend that cap space on. Edmundson/Foegle just reeks of being panic moves, which is kind of scary for the future.

BaileyFan

Jun 14, 2023
f***! I just read the lakingsinsider on Blake's lineup thoughts and we are screwed even more than I thought.

Kempe-Kopitar-Lafreniere
Moore-Danault-Jeannot
Foegele-Byfield-Fiala
Turcotte-Thomas-Lewis
Fagemo

Anderson-Doughty
Gavrikov-Spence
Edmundson-Clarke
Englund, Burroughs

I can't wait for the 3-headed monster to get the boot. I think they made the team worse than the end of Taylor's rein as GM.
“Lewis is not back with the Kings to hold up younger players, to take the spot of younger players or to prevent younger players from developing. It’s the opposite. He’s here to help younger players grow and become the players they are capable of becoming.”

How does Dooley write this stuff with a straight face? I’m really wondering.

ScoreZeGoals

Boooorrrrriiiinnnnng
Jun 29, 2010
Kopitar's production will drop without Byfield on his wing.

That's one of the problems with moving QB back to center. You're breaking up our most effect line (QB-AK-AK).

Drew looked absolutely burnt at the end of the season. If Hiller starts playing him 26 minutes per night again he's a fool.
This is the problem. I think Kopi's numbers go down without Byfield on that line, I think Byfield's numbers might stay stagnant even if he takes a step because he won't be playing with the likes of Kopi and Kempe, and I think Moore's goal scoring regresses to the mean off his career high outlier season. And if/when this happens, where is the scoring coming from?

crassbonanza

Fire Luc
Sep 28, 2017
Kopitar's production will drop without Byfield on his wing.

That's one of the problems with moving QB back to center. You're breaking up our most effect line (QB-AK-AK).

Drew looked absolutely burnt at the end of the season. If Hiller starts playing him 26 minutes per night again he's a fool.

I think Kopitar's production may drop, but mainly due to the fact that father time catches up to everyone. He has been hovering around 2.6 p/60 for the past 5 seasons, I don't think Byfield was the driver of his production last season.

Last edited:

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
I think Kopitar's production may drop, but mainly due to the fact that father time catches up to everyone. He has been hovering around 2.6 p/60 for the past 5 seasons, I don't think Byfield was the driver of his production last season.
Kopitar w/ Byfield GF% 63.79%.

Kopitar w/o Byfield GF% 42.42%

Byfield is w/o Kopitar GF% 58.82%

Byfield-Kopitar-Kempe GF% 66.67%

Kopitar-Kempe w/o Byfield GF% 48%

And this matches the eye test. It was pretty clear Kopitar needed Byfield on that line. QB's production was never reflective of how reliant that line was on him.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Peter James Bond III

De-LUC-sional
Jul 8, 2020
It's so maddening and honeslty bizarre - for real bizarre -

1. that the Kings have a group to study the rebranding of their logo and jersey for over 1 year. (or whatever they stated, I got ill, just reading the intro of that piece) And they come up with another regurgitated logo and same silver and black and act like it's so majorly awesome. Proud of it. But like it was a major group undertaking is utterly bizarre. esp when measured how hard they work and study what matters - the actual team! Roster. Player additions.
2. Yannetti spoke at length how they have simulations and models to predict the draft, who will go where, who should be on the board at X spot...and models for trades to work, moving up or down...and he said they spent hours and hours on it, on the outcomes and scenarios. He acutally siad it took days...and ork of many people and could have used 2 more people, fulltime on more work on it! LOL. Where is the team working on actual players acquired??
3. Yet, the roster construction and players targeted, players dealt, lost for nothing, holes filled, holes made, future cap nightmares, from their signings...this is what matters most. Where are there 5 analytic experts, cap doctors, analysts, when they fail to address scoring and getting legit NHL talent? A 'ensemble of professionals' was not needed to ascertain signing Edmundson was not a viable option, in any model..at any price or term!

They should remove all 3 of Blucgevin and bar Brisson from having any privilages he probably enjoys.
Rosen mentioned the outcomes of the dearth of RHD. Disaster. Nothing for Walker, Nothing for Roy...and Durzi given for a 37 OA pick, that they wasted on PLD. The PLD level of assets should have only gome for an Eichel or perhaps Brady Tkachuk. What's done, is done.

When the Kings address something - they over react, over pay, or get the WRONG guy.
Need a future stud Kopi replacement? Good. Get Eichel.
Need toughness? Yes, 5 years ago and should have been addressing that over the years.
So they address it now and trade for Jeannot and Burroughs. Good! So, they over address it and waste 3.8 M on Edemundson for 4 yrs? Every dollar is critical and every single one of those dollars
should have went to Toffoli, Marchessault or Teravainen. Yeah, overpay some. Not overpay for Monahan or Stephenson...but overpay some for a LEGIT top 6 forward. It's the new norm.
You cannot overpay 3.8M on a 31 yr old dinosaur LHD3. It's as suicidal as getting PLD. Except you didn't trade 4 assets for him. Who were they bidd against, anyway? No way any other team is oppfering him 3.8M / 4 yrs. Bluff. I'd say no thank you. If you really like this guy? It's 2 yrs and 2 M per or hang up. I'd rather go with Englund and rotate Burroughs on the left..he has played left!

Hell, Dvorak may be ready by next season. Kirsanov may be here in April! What a disaster.
I'm 100% ok with Jennot and Foegele. But, they are the secondary signings / deals and not one you needed most. Top 3 forward. Dooley tweeted that Foegele was 4th in even strength pts on Oil, behind Mcd Drai and Hyman. Wow. He actually had more even strength pts than RNH? Really?
I like the signing and he passed my eye test when I saw him, umpteen games this playoffs. Good signing.

Where are the goals coming from??? In 13 months. They've lost so much offense: Vilardi, Iafallo, Arvidsson, PLD. All of them could play top 6. Although Iafallo really 3rd liner. And only countered that with Jeannot and Foegele. Foegele can play top 6. He played with Drai a lot. But he's better suited line 3. If he plays line 1 or 2 some, good. But it's only because the Kings have utterly failed at getting a top 6 forward in a deal or signing since Fiala. And they screw with him and 3rd line him, anyway. LOL.

The only hope is that from the presser Blake said that Jeannot and Foegele were middle 6...he is either: 1. lying and has Foegele penciled in line 1. 2. He believes Laf can be top LW. 3. There is one more forward coming. Who? They're all goners!
Except:
Tarasenko
Pinto (wants to be dealt, apparently)
Necas
Nick Robertson (3rd liner but good young player)
Laine

Except for CBJ retaining 50% of Laine, Necas, Pinto, Tarasenko...the dollars needed to get one
of them? The 3.8M wasted on a 3rd pairing, oft injured pylon, took those dollars.
And now the Kings offense will be 25th or lower. Guaranteed. Unless Byfield scores 30,
Fiala 35, Kempe 40, Kopi 20, Foegele 25, Moore 30 again, Jeannot 15. Not happening.
All it takes is ONE BLUNDER to screw the team and your season. Didn't they learn that the hard way with PLD? Edmundson is the albatross here, that makes it, so your #1 need of a legit top 6 scorer, is all but an impossibilty. Unless you want to deal #1 2025 now.

crassbonanza

Fire Luc
Sep 28, 2017
Kopitar w/ Byfield GF% 63.79%.

Kopitar w/o Byfield GF% 42.42%

Byfield is w/o Kopitar GF% 58.82%

Byfield-Kopitar-Kempe GF% 66.67%

Kopitar-Kempe w/o Byfield GF% 48%

And this matches the eye test. It was pretty clear Kopitar needed Byfield on that line. QB's production was never reflective of how reliant that line was on him.

Why use GF% when talking about production? GF% is just plus/minus. It also neglects to take into account deployment, what was the ozone start of each of those scenarios? What was the Qualcomp?

Anyways, at least use p/60 wowy instead of gf%, it might tell the same story, but at least is relevant to your point.

tigermask48

Maniacal Laugh
Mar 10, 2004
R'Lyeh, Antarctica
Yea he said Jeannot and Foegele were brought in for the middle six. The projected lines from Blakes comments were
Laferriere - Kopitar - Kempe
Moore - Danault - Jeannot
Foegele - Byfield - Fiala
Turcotte - Thomas - Lewis
Its not great
Not a fan of this 3rd line. It's missing a boat anchor to drag it down like the others (Laf, Jeanott, Lewis) and might actually produce.
Can't have lines producing if we want to miss the playoffs.

Last edited:

tigermask48

Maniacal Laugh
Mar 10, 2004
R'Lyeh, Antarctica
I still think there's at least one more significant move coming.
I don't see how there can be though. Once they sign Byfield and Spence they won't have the cap space for a significant addition from what I understand (although i am by no means an expert in cap math.)

So even if Kaliev and say Spence get moved, the team could only take on what 3-4 million in any trade with those two moving out? That doesn't seem like enough to fill the holes in the roster.

If they move someone like Danault, or Moore then you free up extra cap, but are opening up holes that need to be filled in addition to the current ones. It's looking like this is the current roster and this is what the team starts the season with.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
I dont think there is any question Blake has very little understanding of his players and their capabilities.. this dude has no business being a GM.. he got the job because he was former King, friends w Luc and spent some a some time in the FO.. but no way is this guy a GM.
Habs fan coming in piece. The PLD and Edmunston signings has the stench of Bergevin all over it. He may be a bigger problem for you guys then you’re actual GM.

funky

Build around Byfield, not the vets
Mar 9, 2002
I guess it’s time to go old school and get Moore into the top 6 and make a true checking line if Foegele - Danault - Laf followed by a 2nd checking line of Jeannot - Thomas- Lewis.

Maybe that’s Blake’s plan. If all the lines are checkers and shutdown guys the other team can’t score.

Well either can we.

tigermask48

Maniacal Laugh
Mar 10, 2004
R'Lyeh, Antarctica
Habs fan coming in piece. The PLD and Edmunston signings has the stench of Bergevin all over it. He may be a bigger problem for you guys then you’re actual GM.
Nah, Blake wanted Edmundson back in 2020 before BargainBin signed him in Montreal, and Luc was allegedly pushing for PLD. So Bergevin is at worst feeding Blake's worst impulses but isn't a bigger problem than the other two.
So is he part of the issue? Absolutely. But all three are a huge issue and need to go.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad