WJC: Finland vs USA U18 WJC Game Thread.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Interesting to try to put this on one guy when everyone's playing like ass
If these kids ever wonder what if was like playing against the Soviets for the mens' teams in the 70's and 80's, they're getting a glimpse of it. A team training and playing together the whole year and getting to pick the best from a huge pool of players, that is. As Ismo Lehkonen said on the broadcast, the best hockey team in the world in the age group.

Oh and since Stiga has a hat trick, the obligatory pics:

73-4211-19-1383_1.jpg

2_486063-584x232.jpeg

2_740248-887x300.jpeg

Reactions: Kaako Kappo

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Pretty bad for USA to give up a goal with less than 10 seconds left. Not sure what everyone is doing there. Gave Finland enough life to not be completely out of it.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Well, let's say he hasn't been onni so far...
Why he even is on the team.
Even peewee hockey child knows that when you're playing in U18 WJC's and U20 WJC's
vs Canada and USA you need size, gritt, toughness and physicality in defence and not soft mickey-mouses.

Kauppinen seems to be similar idiot than Lauri Mikkola as a coach.

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
Both were actually bad. The defense is mostly to blame of course but I'm not impressed by Rimpinens goaltending one bit. Every lateral movement looks so unnatural and big of a deal for him. If it's matter of agility- strength or something else... Who knows.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
Both were actually bad. The defense is mostly to blame of course but I'm not impressed by Rimpinens goaltending one bit. Every lateral movement looks so unnatural and big of a deal for him. If it's matter of agility- strength or something else... Who knows.
Giving up like 40 shots in 2 periods, come on. Can't blame the goalie. The defense is atrocious. They're lucky its not 10-3. Yeah, you can't exactly praise him for keeping us in the game either, but I wouldn't throw him under the bus here.

Reactions: OKR

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
Funny thing is Saarelainen has been pretty good in every game. I was a lot more sure on Helenius than Hemming, Väisänen and Kiviharju and... Now I know exactly why I feared this and how correct that feeling seems to be.
A couple of players in this roster can be decent against smaller nations but against the best we have like 1,2 or at tops 3 players that seem to be good enough.
Let's not mention coaching.

Reactions: Jussi and illone84

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
The game will be entertaining and Finns will bounce back, not worried.
I hope you are right.

Hard to pin it on Rimpinen when defence allows US skaters to just attack the middle with full speed time after time.
No one has done that either. But he was not good for one second.

Hemming hasn't looked like a first rounder in this game, barely a second either. Complete ghost without finesse in this one.

Reactions: illone84

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
This is amongst the worst Finnish D's I've seen. How the hell can this contain of two first or second rounders is a mystery. Hyi v*ttu.

Reactions: illone84

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad