Prospect Info: Owen Beck

Trabdy2

Nov 30, 2018
I liked what I saw from Beck yesterday. He's gonna be a solid middle six player for a long time with us.

Reactions: Rapala

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
Good job big dog, see you next year.

tiger-woods-big-dog.jpg

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: Nedved and Sagikev

Hannibal

Fear the Weber
Feb 11, 2007
he needs to do way more

And be way more involved physically. The dude is playing like hes trying to show he belongs in the top 6 lol.

That aint you job and never will be. Be a f***ing pest, get under people skin, win faceoff, play good defence, hit after hit, and when the situation present itself, use your heavy shot. That’s it. He needs
Somebody to tell him
This.

Reactions: Legend123

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Beck will be in the NHL not because of his skill but how he plays the game.
I'm having a bit of trouble with this. Isn't skating and shooting a skill. From what I saw in the first two games, Beck and Tuch were Laval's best skaters. And I would give Beck the edge because he has an element of quickness that is superior to Tuch's. Beck already has an NHL level shot, plus the ability to use it off the rush, a 'skill' that he used against Springfield and almost scored while penalty killing. His offensive vision and play making has already been acknowledged by Laval's coaching staff by placing him on the first power play unit. I'm trying to understand what skills he is lacking and which can't be developed with more playing time in Laval.

I think that this 20 year old has taken a quantum leap in his development and it shows dramatically in his play and the responsibilities that the coaching staff has entrusted him with.

This kid is no mere bottom six player. And if because of depth issues in Montreal, he is forced to play that role, this team is in great shape going forward.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
For the people who are impatiently waiting to bust Beck and celebrate the failure of KH with a bottle of 100 years old wine it's important to not forget Philip Danault did 26 points in 72 games in his first AHL season. Hockey IQ can cover for many flaws in a player.

Reactions: HabzSauce

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Not because of his skill??

Have you seen Beck skate, shoot and check?

I said he would make the NHL because of how he plays, he does all the little things right, he plays the game the right way meaning he's the kind of player you win games with. His checking game isn't going to get him to the NHL alone as I don't even think it's that impressive. His shot is good but still needs work, i've seen him miss too many open nets to think his shot is something that would get him to the NHL alone.

I'm having a bit of trouble with this. Isn't skating and shooting a skill. From what I saw in the first two games, Beck and Tuch were Laval's best skaters. And I would give Beck the edge because he has an element of quickness that is superior to Tuch's. Beck already has an NHL level shot, plus the ability to use it off the rush, a 'skill' that he used against Springfield and almost scored while penalty killing. His offensive vision and play making has already been acknowledged by Laval's coaching staff by placing him on the first power play unit. I'm trying to understand what skills he is lacking and which can't be developed with more playing time in Laval.

I think that this 20 year old has taken a quantum leap in his development and it shows dramatically in his play and the responsibilities that the coaching staff has entrusted him with.

This kid is no mere bottom six player. And if because of depth issues in Montreal, he is forced to play that role, this team is in great shape going forward.

He has a good shot but to me it still needs a lot of work on accuracy, do you think he would make the NHL just based off his shot? Do you expect him to be a 30 goal scorer in the NHL?

I don't think he looked NHL ready last year or so far this year, he still needs a good bit of work if he's to be more then a 4th liner imo.

For the people who are impatiently waiting to bust Beck and celebrate the failure of KH with a bottle of 100 years old wine it's important to not forget Philip Danault did 26 points in 72 games in his first AHL season. Hockey IQ can cover for many flaws in a player.

what does Danault have to do with Beck?

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
They are both player whose main quality is to know how to play hockey. They are not high end talent.

they both aren't high end talents but what does what one player going through matter to another? What does looking at Danault mean for Beck's development? Just because they have are both centers and lack high end talent but what does that mean for Beck's development vs what happened with Danault?

Reactions: Habs Halifax

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
they both aren't high end talents but what does what one player going through matter to another? What does looking at Danault mean for Beck's development? Just because they have are both centers and lack high end talent but what does that mean for Beck's development vs what happened with Danault?
It means nothing outside of Beck not producing in the AHL at 20 means nothing ... that's the whole point it means nothing. You would expect Demidov to torch the AHL day 1. Beck was always going to be a guy who would take time. Same for Mesar. Discussing production at this point is pointless.

Reactions: montreal

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
I said he would make the NHL because of how he plays, he does all the little things right, he plays the game the right way meaning he's the kind of player you win games with. His checking game isn't going to get him to the NHL alone as I don't even think it's that impressive. His shot is good but still needs work, i've seen him miss too many open nets to think his shot is something that would get him to the NHL alone
Doing the little things and playing the right way won’t get him to the NHL alone.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
It means nothing outside of Beck not producing in the AHL at 20 means nothing ... that's the whole point it means nothing. You would expect Demidov to torch the AHL day 1. Beck was always going to be a guy who would take time. Same for Mesar. Discussing production at this point is pointless.

Plekanec is one example of someone who was not expected to produce offensively but he ended up with a few 60+ seasons.

How does Beck's production look against Pleky's (pre NHL)?

Doing the little things and playing the right way won’t get him to the NHL alone.

I agree with this. That is one layer to get trust from the coach but the next test is producing offense. If someone like Mesar doesn't produce offense, there are 5-10 others who also don't produce offense but are strong in the 200' game.

Reactions: LaP

ChesterNimitz

Jul 4, 2002
He has a good shot but to me it still needs a lot of work on accuracy, do you think he would make the NHL just based off his shot? Do you expect him to be a 30 goal scorer in the NHL?

I don't think he looked NHL ready last year or so far this year, he still needs a good bit of work if he's to be more then a 4th liner imo.

Beck offers much more than just his shot.

The main point of my posts on Beck has been to counter the prevailing opinion that he is a bottom 6 player. The problem is that most people hearing/reading that Beck is good on face-offs and is a defensively aware player immediately conjure up images of a Doug Jarvis-like player. Most have never seen him play. Or at best, they see snippets and the odd high-lights of his play.

I have watched Beck closely since he was drafted by the Canadiens as I was intrigued as to why some of the Hab's scouts were so adamant about this kid's potential that they were 'banging the table' for the Canadiens to take Beck at 26 OA. In the years since the draft I have watched Beck play for multiple OHL teams and quickly came to the conclusion that this kid is no Doug Jarvis.

Beck offers powerful skating, a high compete level, defensive responsibility, good hand skills and a shot that is very under appreciated. As I have often noted, he has the skill to shoot off the rush. Most players today don't (can't) use this skill. I have seen Beck overpower OHL goalies from long range off the rush. Last year at times playing for Saginaw, Beck was used on the left half boards on their power play. Very similar to the way that the Canadiens use Caufield (and hopefully, in the near future, Laine). He was very effective in this roll as Parekh was able to find Beck for one timers that opposing goalies didn't even move on. It was such a threat that opposing teams had to rotate their defensive approach to take away that play, and in doing so, opened up or freed other Saginaw players for other scoring options. In two years or less, Montreal will have Lane looking for the open man on Montreal's power play. One of them will be Beck.

Aside from Beck's skills, what equally impressed me was Beck's attitude and intelligence. I run a amateur sport organization and have to deal with hundreds of elite level young athletes in a number of sports, including hockey. You can quickly recognize those kids who will be successful going forward. Its how they talk and act. How they carry themselves. Success in high end sport is as much a matter of being elite from the neck up as from the neck down. I watched numerous interviews of Beck and it was obvious that this kid is something special. It's not surprising that Beck was named the CHL's Academic Athlete of the Year in 2022. This kid has the NHL and leadership written all over him.

I wanted to see how this kid would fare in the AHL against superior and older competition. I know its only been two games, but Beck has been, in this writer's opinion, the most noticeable forward in both games. It's his powerful skating. His pursuit of the puck and on ice vision. It was no surprise that by the third period of the game against Springfield, this 20 year old was on the first power play unit.

Beck is still a work in progress. I will continue to follow his play and report on same. I think he may see some time in Montreal this year, but I think Tuch is marginally more NHL ready as of this post. Long term. I see a player who, at worse, will be a third line center and may push for second line center depending on how Hage develops. It will be good problem to have. Beck and Tuch will be core players for Montreal for the next decade. That I am certain off.

For those who remain stuck in the mindset that Beck is only a Jarvis-like player, I would suggest that you subscribe to FLO and watch this kid play. It may well be illuminating for you.

Last edited:

Bombshell11

Sponsor
Jul 21, 2022

The main point of my posts on Beck has been to counter the prevailing opinion that he is a bottom 6 player. The problem is that most people hearing/reading that Beck is good on face-offs and is a defensively aware player immediately conjure up images of a Doug Jarvis-like player. Most have never seen him play. Or at best, they see snippets and the odd high-lights of his play.

I have watched Beck closely since he was drafted by the Canadiens as I was intrigued as to why some of the Hab's scouts were so adamant about this kid's potential that they were 'banging the table' for the Canadiens to take Beck at 26 OA. In the years since the draft I have watched Beck play for multiple OHL teams and quickly came to the conclusion that this kid is no Doug Jarvis.

Beck offers powerful skating, a high compete level, defensive responsibility, good hand skills and a shot that is very under appreciated. As I have often noted, he has the skill to shoot off the rush. Most players today don't (can't) use this skill. I have seen Beck overpower OHL goalies from long range off the rush. Last year at times playing for Saginaw, Beck was used on the left half boards on their power play. Very similar to the way that the Canadiens use Caufield ( and hopefully, in the near future, Laine). He was very effective in this roll as Parekh was able to find Beck for one timers that opposing goalies didn't even move on. It was such a threat that opposing teams had to rotate their defensive approach to take away that play, and in doing so, opened up or freed other Saginaw players for other scoring options. In two years or less, Montreal will have Lane looking for the open man on Montreal's power play. One of them will be Beck.

Aside from Beck's skills, what equally impressed me was Beck's attitude and intelligence. I run a amateur sport organization and have to deal with hundreds of elite level young athletes in a number of sports. You can quickly recognize those kids who will be successful going forward. Its how the talk and act. How they carry themselves. Success in high end sport is as much a matter of being elite from the neck up as from the neck down. I watched numerous interviews of Beck and it was obvious that this kid is something special. It's not surprising that Beck was named the CHL's Academic Athlete of the Year in 2022. This kid has the NHL and leadership written all over him.

I wanted to see how this kid would fare in the AHL against superior and older competition. I know its only been two games, but Beck has been, in this writer's opinion, the most noticeable forward in both games. It's his powerful skating. His pursuit of the puck and on ice vision. It was no surprise that by the third period of the game against Springfield, this 20 year old was on the first power play unit.

Beck is still a work in progress. I will continue to follow his play and report on same. I think he may see some time in Montreal this year, but I think Tuch is marginally more NHL ready as of this post. Long term. I see player who at worse will be a third line center and may push for second line center depending on how Hage develops. It will be good problem to have. Beck and Tuch will be core players for Montreal for the next decade. That I am certain off.

For those who remain stuck in the mindset that Beck is only a Jarvis-like player, I would suggest that you subscribe to FLO and watch this kid play. It may well be illuminating for you.

I always liked Beck from day 1 and i think him and Mesar complement each other very well.

Reactions: ChesterNimitz

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

Beck offers powerful skating, a high compete level, defensive responsibility, good hand skills and a shot that is very under appreciated. As I have often noted, he has the skill to shoot off the rush. Most players today don't (can't) use this skill. I have seen Beck overpower OHL goalies from long range off the rush. Last year at times playing for Saginaw, Beck was used on the left half boards on their power play. Very similar to the way that the Canadiens use Caufield (and hopefully, in the near future, Laine). He was very effective in this roll as Parekh was able to find Beck for one timers that opposing goalies didn't even move on. It was such a threat that opposing teams had to rotate their defensive approach to take away that play, and in doing so, opened up or freed other Saginaw players for other scoring options. In two years or less, Montreal will have Lane looking for the open man on Montreal's power play. One of them will be Beck.

Aside from Beck's skills, what equally impressed me was Beck's attitude and intelligence. I run a amateur sport organization and have to deal with hundreds of elite level young athletes in a number of sports, including hockey. You can quickly recognize those kids who will be successful going forward. Its how they talk and act. How they carry themselves. Success in high end sport is as much a matter of being elite from the neck up as from the neck down. I watched numerous interviews of Beck and it was obvious that this kid is something special. It's not surprising that Beck was named the CHL's Academic Athlete of the Year in 2022. This kid has the NHL and leadership written all over him.

Beck is still a work in progress. I will continue to follow his play and report on same. I think he may see some time in Montreal this year, but I think Tuch is marginally more NHL ready as of this post. Long term. I see a player who, at worse, will be a third line center and may push for second line center depending on how Hage develops. It will be good problem to have. Beck and Tuch will be core players for Montreal for the next decade. That I am certain off.

I've watched him a good bit, I never really felt his upside was more then bottom 6 but I always have liked his game and think he is a lock to be an NHLer. I like the shot but he has not been able to covert that shot to a ton of production with just 79 goals in 185 games or .43 gpg.

I have always said he brings more then his shot since I always say he does all the little things right and plays the game the right way. Just don't believe at least so far that he's shown enough offensively to be more then a bottom 6 center but we'll see.

Tuch I have been saying he will be an NHLer, in the Tuch thread posters kept saying he doesn't even get an NHL contract to which I kept saying for sure he would cause guys his size that move as quick as he does and can play a nasty kind of game don't grow on trees and will always get GM's attention unless the NHL ends up like the south park episode where they replaced footballs with balloons.

ChesterNimitz

Jul 4, 2002
I've watched him a good bit, I never really felt his upside was more then bottom 6 but I always have liked his game and think he is a lock to be an NHLer. I like the shot but he has not been able to covert that shot to a ton of production with just 79 goals in 185 games or .43 gpg.

I have always said he brings more then his shot since I always say he does all the little things right and plays the game the right way. Just don't believe at least so far that he's shown enough offensively to be more then a bottom 6 center but we'll see.

Tuch I have been saying he will be an NHLer, in the Tuch thread posters kept saying he doesn't even get an NHL contract to which I kept saying for sure he would cause guys his size that move as quick as he does and can play a nasty kind of game don't grow on trees and will always get GM's attention unless the NHL ends up like the south park episode where they replaced footballs with balloons.
Well said. I hope for our team's sake that my optimistic projection about Beck's offensive upside turns out more accurate than yours. But I stand by my opinion, regardless of their respective offensive ceilings, both Beck and Tuch will be core players for Montreal going forward. And that may happen sooner than many here think. Its all about the skating, commitment and leadership that these two will bring.

Despite the prevailing 'the sky's falling' sentiment that so many here are succumbing to, I think our future is quite promising. And both Beck and Tuch will be among the wave of talent that is about to make their mark on the league.

Reactions: montreal

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Well said. I hope for our team's sake that my optimistic projection about Beck's offensive upside turns out more accurate than yours. But I stand by my opinion, regardless of their respective offensive ceilings, both Beck and Tuch will be core players for Montreal going forward. And that may happen sooner than many here think. Its all about the skating, commitment and leadership that these two will bring.

Despite the prevailing 'the sky's falling' sentiment that so many here are succumbing to, I think our future is quite promising. And both Beck and Tuch will be among the wave of talent that is about to make their mark on the league.

I think Beck and Tuch are NHLers but I don't think they have high upside, just don't believe in their offensive games enough to see them as more then bottom 6 types.

I don't think the Habs are in a good spot yet but we'll see as Slaf has been better then I expected and Hage has done nothing but impress me every time i've seen him but he still has work to do of course. I just have a lot of doubts about the future of the offense, I have been one of the biggest fans of Hutson on this board since we drafted him, and I badly wanted us to get Demidov but I just don't know where else the high end talent will come from. Dach and Slaf are tough to say how good will they end up, and of course they will likely get some help at the draft this summer since they have 2 1st's but I think they will need a lot of improvement so we'll see how it unfolds.

Reactions: Andrei79

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad