Value of: Filip Gustavsson at the TDL

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
24 yo goalie making 787K. Will be RFA after this season, with a tiny qualifying offer…well under 1M.

- 2nd in league in GAA

- 2nd in league in sv%

Basically, after a rocky start, Gus is playing out of his mind. I know that this is somewhat unlooked for in MN, as all they hoped for was a solid backup after Guerin threw a hissy fit and rage traded Talbot. Wallstedt might be ready as soon as next year, and Fleury has a NMC till the end of next year. They probably won’t move FG but if someone offered up a potentially elite C prospect( I.e. better than Rossi) they might listen.

MN can take on expiring salary this year. They can not take on salary next year. In other words, MN can take on a much larger, expiring contract, as part of the deal, allowing the acquiring team to not only get a great young goalie, but cap space this year to further “load up”.

Could any playoff( or other) teams use a young, terrific, goalie just about to enter his prime, and still with team control? What would you offer, keeping in mind MN’s needs?

Kingspiracy

Nov 13, 2006
LA would be interested, but doubt they would offer up much, definately not an elite centre prospect. I dont think he has played well enough for long enough to warrant that sort of return.

Altimus

Probably drunk
Sponsor
Jan 21, 2006
West end Ottawa
Using as an example, you'd want like a package of Kerfoot and Knies for Gustavsson. Just trying to see where ops head is at before I address other teams looking for a goalie.

Sebastien

May 1, 2022
24 yo goalie making 787K. Will be RFA after this season, with a tiny qualifying offer…well under 1M.

- 2nd in league in GAA

- 2nd in league in sv%

Basically, after a rocky start, Gus is playing out of his mind. I know that this is somewhat unlooked for in MN, as all they hoped for was a solid backup after Guerin threw a hissy fit and rage traded Talbot. Wallstedt might be ready as soon as next year, and Fleury has a NMC till the end of next year. They probably won’t move FG but if someone offered up a potentially elite C prospect( I.e. better than Rossi) they might listen.

MN can take on expiring salary this year. They can not take on salary next year. In other words, MN can take on a much larger, expiring contract, as part of the deal, allowing the acquiring team to not only get a great young goalie, but cap space this year to further “load up”.

Could any playoff( or other) teams use a young, terrific, goalie just about to enter his prime, and still with team control? What would you offer, keeping in mind MN’s needs?

- 2nd in league in GAA

- 2nd in league in sv%

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Jan 24, 2007
Seems like keeping him makes more sense, sign him to a 2 year extension through the Parise/Suter deadcap years as the bridge to Wallstedt. Goalies don't return anything meaningful in trades.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
So Wild want to trade one of the few players that keep them competitive? Ruins your tank? Don't get this at all.

Reactions: hn777

Dickie Dunn

Jan 4, 2016
Minneapolis
So Wild want to trade one of the few players that keep them competitive? Ruins your tank? Don't get this at all.
If they re-sign Gus and can't find a taker for Fleury that is a lot of resources tied up in goalie entering the two worst years of the dead cap for the Wild. Smart to at least see what the Wild might get for him.

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
What a dumb trade by Ottawa in hindsight. hopefully they‘re able to move Talbot for something at the TDL.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
If they re-sign Gus and can't find a taker for Fleury that is a lot of resources tied up in goalie entering the two worst years of the dead cap for the Wild. Smart to at least see what the Wild might get for him.
Fleury for de smith could be done in like 2 minutes

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
if i were wild gm no chance i trade gus. as for MAF & addison the right picks i'd be interested. we should be building our team for when were out of cap h3ll.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
He is a 24-year-old RFA with "with a tiny qualifying offer…well under 1M". He actually helps to solve the dead cap issue and be competitive immediately when Wild survives those years and you want to trade him away? Ridiculous.

If this Wild core is EVER going to achieve anything he is of perfect age with the rest of them. I don't understand why the same argument you are making couldn't be applied to Kaprizov, for example? After all, even more resources are tied up in him.

You know when the dead cap years are over it's kinda important to have good players to allocate that cap to.

Dickie Dunn

Jan 4, 2016
Minneapolis
He is a 24-year-old RFA with "with a tiny qualifying offer…well under 1M". He actually helps to solve the dead cap issue and be competitive immediately when Wild survives those years and you want to trade him away? Ridiculous.

If this Wild core is EVER going to achieve anything he is of perfect age with the rest of them. I don't understand why the same argument you are making couldn't be applied to Kaprizov, for example? After all, even more resources are tied up in him.

You know when the dead cap years are over it's kinda important to have good players to allocate that cap to.
No, comparing Gus to Kaprizov is ridiculous.

Reactions: 57special

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
LA makes the most sense. Otherwise I don't see why Minny doesn't just keep him.
That’s what I thought. The acquisition of Fiala, and Vilardi’s improvement, seem to have jump started the team. All they need is good goaltending, and maybe a solid, physical LHD, to be extremely competitive in a very weak West….hell they are competitive now. The question is whether they want to go on a run this year, or wait for players like Byfield, Clarke, and Turcotte to develop.

I answered the question, “why do this” in the OP. Wild need an elite, or at least a potential #1 C. Gus will not net an actual one unless he has age, injury, or contract issues, so the next best thing would be a prospect. MN has an elite goalie prospect, they do not have an elite C prospect. Rossi is the closest thing, and he is doing very well in the AHL, but he has some athletic challenges that will be hard to overcome.

Last edited:

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
No, comparing Gus to Kaprizov is ridiculous.
And yet one could probably come up with better arguments why he should be traded. You know, a massive salary, ruins the tank in the next two years, still likely to leave after those.. Terrible. "Smart to at least see what the Wild might get for him."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad