Player Discussion Filip Chytil: Part II

huerter

Aug 16, 2020
If he thinks it's that important, he should let him play. Having a guy in the lineup who can't take any minutes is going to wear guys out.
If Rempe was on the Knicks last night he'd have been 8th in minutes out of 14.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
Everyone is concerned that a borderline useless 4th line rookie is going to be scratched and put the lockerroom into chaos but no one is concerned about a solid veteran who brings something to the team is not being played in the playoffs despite going through hell with a concussion and working his ass off to get ready to play. Only hockey fans value 4th liners more than their good players. There's this ridiculous "intangibles" mythology in the NHL by people that romanticize the game.

Yes, we're all idiots that need to be lectured by you on who and what Rempe is and what Chytil is.

There's a lot to consider here besides "derrrr 4th liner derrrrr top sixer derrr"

- is Chytil fully healthy? Is he ready to go? Is he mentally ready? Is he up to playoff speed?
(and no, you cannot answer ANY of these questions)
- Who are you slotting to 4C because you're certainly not going to put Chytil in a position where he hasn't played in years (wing) in his first game back in 7+ months of playing no hockey
- Wennberg to 4C? Makes no sense. That whole line has been dominant defensively
- Chtyil to 4C to get his legs under him in a primarily defensive role for 8-9 minutes/game? Maybe.
- The Rempe "factor" is in the minds of opponents D. You can see it - they rush, they don't want to get hit by him.
- Intangibles are in the room. If you've played any kind of competitive hockey you'd have a better understanding of this. Dismissing it as some kind of "fan thing" is ignorant.
- The '94 Rangers won the Cup by expunging talent for intangible type players. Hurt for years afterwards but the Cup is the thing, right?

I can see Chytil debuting @ Carolina where matchups favor the 'Canes - particularly if they lose tonight. It really depends on how they lose, if they do.

Finally, nobody here has all the facts and that includes me. And you. Decisions are being made based on those facts and we know next to nothing about it. Laviolette has repeatedly said during the course of the year that if a player is healthy and GTG he has no reason to make that player a healthy scratch. I assume that all of this is not lost on him and maybe the Modus Operandi is to let Chytil continue to recover, progress, and get up to game speed when we really do need him. Maybe the edict from Drury is break glass in case of emergency. We simply don't know and all of the conjecture around here is just that.

Pawnee Rangers

Jan 10, 2019
I don't think anyone is trying to make the claim that Rempe is better pure hockey player than Chytil or Brodzinski, he's not. But he provides something those other guys don't and it's what the coach wants at the moment. If Chytil comes back and he has to go out, great. If Wheeler comes back and Laviolette wants him in there at Rempe's expense, cool. But you can't discount the fact that Rempe has come in here and made an impact. He's making his presence felt in these games, he's getting into the other teams head, he's firing his teammates up (and by all account they love him). I know the "grit and stuff" chart crowd will roll their eyes, but that shit makes a difference in the playoffs. You see it with Goodrow and Cuyle, this rubs off on the rest of the guys whether you want to believe it or not. THIS STUFF MATTERS.

Last edited:

TominNC

Jul 17, 2017
Charlotte, NC
You can’t know how Chytil will play until he’s in a game. Why wait until after a loss and take the chance he’s not ready? Try him now when ahead of the game.

Of course this is all under the assumption that the teams doctors say he’s ok to play.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

noncents

Feb 25, 2022
it absolutely makes sense. Kakko and Cuylle are both responsible defensively and are being held back offensively by a C who is D first and doesn't shoot. Possesses fine but can't create chances.

Wennberg at 4C and on PK while, say, Vesey sits is better than what we have now.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
Nope. It's all just pure speculation.
So I guess it's not fun to say, but the coaches, management & team know a lot more than we do.

As someone above mentioned, rust might (probably) be a HUGE factor even if he is healthy & cleared. He's not coming into a reg season game, or even 1st rd.

One could argue that Rempe hasn't been effective OTHER than throwing hits & intimidation & therefore he could come out, but maybe not even for Chytil.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Yes, we're all idiots that need to be lectured by you on who and what Rempe is and what Chytil is.

There's a lot to consider here besides "derrrr 4th liner derrrrr top sixer derrr"

- is Chytil fully healthy? Is he ready to go? Is he mentally ready? Is he up to playoff speed?
(and no, you cannot answer ANY of these questions)
- Who are you slotting to 4C because you're certainly not going to put Chytil in a position where he hasn't played in years (wing) in his first game back in 7+ months of playing no hockey
- Chtyil to 4C to get his legs under him in a primarily defensive role for 8-9 minutes/game? Maybe.
- The Rempe "factor" is in the minds of opponents D. You can see it - they rush, they don't want to get hit by him.
- Intangibles are in the room. If you've played any kind of competitive hockey you'd have a better understanding of this. Dismissing it as some kind of "fan thing" is ignorant.
- The '94 Rangers won the Cup by expunging talent for intangible type players. Hurt for years afterwards but the Cup is the thing, right?

I can see Chytil debuting @ Carolina where matchups favor the 'Canes - particularly if they lose tonight. It really depends on how they lose, if they do.

Finally, nobody here has all the facts and that includes me. And you. Decisions are being made based on those facts and we know next to nothing about it. Laviolette has repeatedly said during the course of the year that if a player is healthy and GTG he has no reason to make that player a healthy scratch. I assume that all of this is not lost on him and maybe the Modus Operandi is to let Chytil continue to recover, progress, and get up to game speed when we really do need him. Maybe the edict from Drury is break glass in case of emergency. We simply don't know and all of the conjecture around here is just that.

I'm not saying there aren't legit questions about putting in a player that hasn't played since the Kennedy administration. I'm referring specifically to freaking out over the lockerroom rioting over a rookie 4th liner getting scratched for a respected vet who worked his ass off to get to this point. I'm sorry I don't buy the intangibles argument that players love Rempe so much that it would hurt their lockerroom if he will get replaced by a very solid middle 6 player. I just can't imagine players a) liking Rempe so much b) liking Rempe so much more than Chytil c) being this fragile.

Regarding 94 unless you can prove that they won BECAUSE they replaced that talent with the intangibles that argument means nothing. There's a possibility that we would have won more if we didn't make these trades, no way to know.

Also, if you like intangibles then give me the intangibles over the guy that busted his ass to come back from a debilitating injury that could have been career ending to make it back THIS season over the guy that hits real hard. Chytil is getting punished here for being a good player despite him showing a lot more toughness than anything Rempe has ever done.

Edit: I don't know about his conditioning but Mark Stone didn't play for 2 months before coming back and the rust will only get worse as time elapses.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
I'm not saying there aren't legit questions about putting in a player that hasn't played since the Kennedy administration. I'm referring specifically to freaking out over the lockerroom rioting over a rookie 4th liner getting scratched for a respected vet who worked his ass off to get to this point. I'm sorry I don't buy the intangibles argument that players love Rempe so much that it would hurt their lockerroom if he will get replaced by a very solid middle 6 player. I just can't imagine players a) liking Rempe so much b) liking Rempe so much more than Chytil c) being this fragile.

Regarding 94 unless you can prove that they won BECAUSE they replaced that talent with the intangibles that argument means nothing. There's a possibility that we would have won more if we didn't make these trades, no way to know.

Also, if you like intangibles then give me the intangibles over the guy that busted his ass to come back from a debilitating injury that could have been career ending to make it back THIS season over the guy that hits real hard. Chytil is getting punished here for being a good player despite him showing a lot more toughness than anything Rempe has ever done.

Edit: I don't know about his conditioning but Mark Stone didn't play for 2 months before coming back and the rust will only get worse as time elapses.

Has anyone said that the locker room would "riot" or "meltdown" or anything like that? I've only said it would impact the room - it would. You'd lose something in Rempe that, as Brian Boyle said, makes guys a little braver and bolder. You get something else with Chytil. But, I've also said this is a resilient group and they'd probably get a lift out of having Chytil back as well.

I just don't love the message that it sends when your team hasn't lost and XYZ player, who clearly has an impact on the other team and with the fans, is benched over someone that hasn't played for seven months. It's an atypical thing to do.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Has anyone said that the locker room would "riot" or "meltdown" or anything like that? I've only said it would impact the room - it would. You'd lose something in Rempe that, as Brian Boyle said, makes guys a little braver and bolder. You get something else with Chytil. But, I've also said this is a resilient group and they'd probably get a lift out of having Chytil back as well.

I just don't love the message that it sends when your team hasn't lost and XYZ player, who clearly has an impact on the other team and with the fans, is benched over someone that hasn't played for seven months. It's an atypical thing to do.

Mark Stone was out for 2 months, not 7 months but still a lengthy time. And this is exactly I disagree with. I feel like a "bad message" changes based on the feelings on a player. If Chytil was in and Rempe was the one that was injured you could argue it's a bad message to Wally Pipp Rempe. I also don't understand why it's a bad message. Why are we so concerned about Rempe and not concerned about Chytil working his ass off and being sat? That's what I don't get. If we're talking about intangibles what message does it send? You better not get injured because it won't matter how hard you work to get back you won't play?

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
Mark Stone was out for 2 months, not 7 months but still a lengthy time. And this is exactly I disagree with. I feel like a "bad message" changes based on the feelings on a player. If Chytil was in and Rempe was the one that was injured you could argue it's a bad message to Wally Pipp Rempe. I also don't understand why it's a bad message. Why are we so concerned about Rempe and not concerned about Chytil working his ass off and being sat? That's what I don't get. If we're talking about intangibles what message does it send? You better not get injured because it won't matter how hard you work to get back you won't play?

Honestly, buddy, you don't even know IF Chytil is even GTG so this entire conversation could be entirely moot.

Mark Stone, FWIW, looked like a 50% Mark Stone and had a target on his back. He clearly wasn't himself.

Reactions: FUZfan

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Honestly, buddy, you don't even know IF Chytil is even GTG so this entire conversation could be entirely moot.

Mark Stone, FWIW, looked like a 50% Mark Stone and had a target on his back. He clearly wasn't himself.

And I agree that I have no idea where he's at right now. I'm only responding to the argument about the message. If he's not ready, he's not ready.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad