Favourite July 1st signing

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Who was your favourite July 1st signing?

• Total voters

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
There's a spread of discussion in various threads about the players we signed and I thought it might be a good idea to amalgamate the conversation.

Plus I'm interested to know who you guys think our best / your favourite signing was.

There were a few posters I saw that wanted to stay away from giving a couple 30 yr old big fishes a big contract and basically that hope has become a reality for us. While I was first extremely disappointed about the Guentzel, then the 11th hour Reinhart news, I've come around to the idea that missing out on these guys might have been a blessing in disguise.

Jake Debrusk could be an absolute home run; Heinen has sneaky potential to play well above his CAP hit, and Kiefer Sherwood is a waterbug fwd with tenacity and some underrated skill. I'm not a huge fan of our D pickups but I understand we are taking a more patient approach in finding our need on the back end.

Reactions: Baby Pettersson

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
Sherwood: A
Heinen: B
Debrusk: B-
Desharnais: C
Forbort: C

but I feel like the decision to sign both Desharnais/Forbort is a C- even though neither individual signing is bad

still a solid FA period and even the moves I wouldn't have made I can still see working out and can be persuaded into believing in

Last edited:

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
sherwood is my favorite by quite a bit

heinen is decent but i think his cap hit is a bit high for what he brings and he could probably be swapped out for someone on a league min deal without too much of a drop off

debrusk i like as a player but i hate the term he got. he's more of a middle six player than a top six player imo and i think he'll end up like tanner pearson in the back half of that contract. still okay but overpaid for what he is

forbort and desharnais i just don't think were good signings. desharnais might be a project but giving projects 2x2 is a bad bet. forbort is just washed

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
For me it's Debrusk. Management had to find a potential running mate for Pettersson. Debrusk seems to me like a good bet. There's no guarantee, obviously, and I won't be shocked if it doesn't work out, but I'm optimistic.

Finding that guy and getting Pettersson playing to his potential is the single clearest route to improvement over last season.

(The second was to find a defenseman who could be either a puck-mover on the second pairing or a fit with Hughes, allowing Hronek to lead the second pair, and I'm disappointed by their not making that move.)

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I quite like most of them, and don't dislike any of them. But I'd probably pick Sherwood from the pile - he's someone I had my eye on for a bit and thought would cost more than he did. I think he could be a really good value signing and I'm excited we got him.

Reactions: Bertuzzzi44

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Sherwood for the cost and his role.

DeBrusk, $5.5 mill for 7 years for a 27 year old is ok.

Heinen, ok with it. Not as familiar with his game.

Dmen, both are like #6 guys but have size. So, really depending on Quinn, Hronek, Soucy, Myers. Really could use one of the younger Abby Dmen to step up and play solid 3rd pairing minutes for them. Be it Woo, McWard, whomever....

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
If Sherwood and Joshua ever end up on the same line, look out! Opposing d-men could spend entire shifts with their faces planted up against the glass.

Canucks are still lacking some physicality in their forward group, but Joshua, Sherwood and even DeBrusk could change that narrative quickly.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
There's a spread of discussion in various threads about the players we signed and I thought it might be a good idea to amalgamate the conversation.

Plus I'm interested to know who you guys think our best / your favourite signing was.

There were a few posters I saw that wanted to stay away from giving a couple 30 yr old big fishes a big contract and basically that hope has become a reality for us. While I was first extremely disappointed about the Guentzel, then the 11th hour Reinhart news, I've come around to the idea that missing out on these guys might have been a blessing in disguise.

Jake Debrusk could be an absolute home run; Heinen has sneaky potential to play well above his CAP hit, and Kiefer Sherwood is a waterbug fwd with tenacity and some underrated skill. I'm not a huge fan of our D pickups but I understand we are taking a more patient approach in finding our need on the back end.

Missing out on Guentzel, I think, lowered the potential ceiling of this iteration of the Canucks. When they chose the path of the quick re-tool, they forwent growing elite talent like this, but he offered them the chance to cheat the system and accrue it regardless. Would have been a big win. Such is life.

That said, DeBrusk addressed their need at LW anyway. He is this team's best signing in FA, imo. His overall usage should increase by about 3 min here, and he won't have a broken hand next year. 50-60 points isn't out of the question, and that seems like a saw off with what Lindholm is about to do.... And I love the term. 7 years was exactly the right call.

Next... Is Vinny Desharnais (over Sherwood and Heinen). This dman can move. When the Canucks were taking it to the Nurse-Ceci pairing in the playoffs and Knoblauch went to Desharnais-Nurse/Ceci-Kulak, I thought Desharnais would buckle. The opposite happened. He steadied Nurse and the Canucks were ousted shortly after. If he can supplant Myers here, look out.

Last edited:

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Allvin claims they were in on Guentzel, but I have my doubts. He got $9m a season out of the Bolts in state where there's minimal income tax. It's like getting another $1m on top of that.

The guy would have been out of his mind to sign in Vancouver......and the Canucks would have been out of their mind to sign him.

For less money, they were able to add DeBrusk, Heinen and Sherwood up front. And add Forbort and Desharnais on the blueline.

These moves may not compensate entirely for losing Lindholm and Zadorov, but the Canucks are still better than they were at the start of last season.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
With the exception for Forbort, which I'm ambivalent about, I like them all. I think the other four were shrewd signings, each with a high upside bull case to provide a lot of surplus value.

But if I have to choose one, it must be My Guy Danton Heinen.

Reactions: strattonius

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
With the exception for Forbort, which I'm ambivalent about, I like them all. I think the other four were shrewd signings, each with a high upside bull case to provide a lot of surplus value.

But if I have to choose one, it must be My Guy Danton Heinen.

I think Heinen is a perfect fit with Miller and Boeser and his opportunity to have a big year is there for the taking. He also signed at a pretty big discount and is a local guy so this is the best signing for me.

Sherwood will be a fan favourite and he could carve out a really important role for us, but to me that extra offense from Heinen is key.

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
I like Debrusk, he's always stood out in a good way to me. However I doubt he gels well with EP, and there's also a reason he was let go. Team needs another winger of his caliber or better still.

Reactions: Bleach Clean

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad