Favorite game of all time that wasn't a...

lextune

I'm too old for this.
Jun 9, 2008
New Hampshire
Easy one for me.

1989, Bruins down 2-0 to the Habs late in the 3rd.

Roy has been standing on his head all night.

With less than three minutes left the B's score three goals in 56 seconds.

I was in the Garden that night, I really thought it might come down, lol.
I had also set my VCR to record the game. I still have the VHS....somewhere, lol.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
There are plenty of choices but the Flyers-Edmonton in 1985, first game after Pelle Lindbergh's death, deserves solitary mention.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
There are plenty of choices but the Flyers-Edmonton in 1985, first game after Pelle Lindbergh's death, deserves solitary mention.

Darren Jensen, now a member of the hair club for men, was the hero.

A few of mine than come to mind:

The Ottawa brawl game ... not just because of all the figting, but we hadn't been able to beat them forever. The final 10 minutes of that game, might have been the most fun I've ever had at a non-playoff game.

http://flyershistory.com/cgi-bin/boxscore.cgi?20031001

The other would have to be the two game combination in Vancouver:

http://flyershistory.com/cgi-bin/boxscore.cgi?19720290
http://flyershistory.com/cgi-bin/boxscore.cgi?19720437

The 2nd one, is the night the Flyers officially became the "Borad Street Bullies".

Hawkey Town 18

Jun 29, 2009
Chicago, IL
This year's game where the Hawks came back from down 5-0 to the Flames to win it 6-5 in OT was a great game to watch if you were a Hawks fan.

I also vaguely remember a regular season game some time in the early 2000's, 00'-01', or 01'-02'. It was the Leafs vs. I don't remember. It was a back and forth game, with a bunch of goals, and the Leafs ended up winning like 6-5. It really stood out for me because, being the dead-puck era, it was an unusually high number of goals for one game. Also, Mats Sundin had a great game. I remember one of my friends that wasn't really into hockey watching it with me and saying he would watch the NHL all the time if all the games were like that one. Does this sound familiar to anyone? If I have some time later I'll try to track down which game it was.

puckguy11

This Space for Rent
Jan 31, 2010
Somewhere in MN
March 30th, 2000:
My first (and so far only) NHL game I've seen in person. It was an original 6 matchup between the Leafs and Blackhawks in the UC. Since I was still fairly young, I could have cared less that the Hawks won 4-0, and I was more enamored with how it was "The House that Jordan Built" and enamored with hometown hero Doug Zmolek who racked up 4 penalty minutes for the Hawks.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
October 28th, 2005:

Canes vs Flyers

One of the games that put the "defense optional" subtitle on the 2005-06 season. The Canes overcame 2 separate 2 goal deficits (2-0 in the first and 5-3 after 2) to win 8-6. Eric Staal had his first career Hat Trick, although nobody knew it at the time as the league would change a goal they had credited to Stillman earlier to Staal as the puck deflected off his body rather then the Flyers defenseman. Frighteningly enough, this one easily could have ended with both teams in double digits if not for the goalkeeping of Cam Ward and Antero Niittymaki.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
LA KIngs v Oilers

a game when at one point in time Ranford and Fuhr were injured and John Garret was pulled out of the ITV booth and stood behind the oiler bench incase Ranford could not finish--HE looked scared ****less

LA Kings v Oilers

The game started at 730pm Edmonton time and finished at 1230am and there were only 3 bench players left for each team by the end of the game

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad