Value of: Faulk to NYI

Romkey

Jul 24, 2011
Top 10 protected 2019 1st would get it done I'd think. Maybe a roster D going back to Carolina

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Top 10 protected 2019 1st would get it done I'd think. Maybe a roster D going back to Carolina

In no way, shape or form should CAR need, want or ask for a roster D in return for Faulk. The point of moving him is the fact that they have 7 NHL D currently signed, 5 of them being top 4 quality (Slavin, Hamilton, de Haan, Pesce and Faulk, the odd man out).

A 1st is good plus a B level prospect I'd think, but a roster forward, capable of playing C and also capable of scoring 20g, would be much preferred over futures.

Also worth mentioning, is the fact that Faulk has a list of 15 teams he can to which he can reject trades. NYI, perhaps, might be on that list.

LI2RVA

Jul 8, 2016
Would a top 10 protected 1st and Aho/Vande Sompel get it done from CAR perspective?

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
While I think NYI will be more rebuilding rather than going for Faulk.

I would imagine Ho-sang and a 2nd would get it done considering it will be a pretty high 2nd

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario

I would imagine Ho-sang and a 2nd would get it done considering it will be a pretty high 2nd

For a team continuously stating the importance they place on character, I don’t think Ho-Sang would be of any interest despite the fact that we need to get more skilled.

Le Grec

Jun 28, 2011
In no way, shape or form should CAR need, want or ask for a roster D in return for Faulk. The point of moving him is the fact that they have 7 NHL D currently signed, 5 of them being top 4 quality (Slavin, Hamilton, de Haan, Pesce and Faulk, the odd man out).

A 1st is good plus a B level prospect I'd think, but a roster forward, capable of playing C and also capable of scoring 20g, would be much preferred over futures.

Also worth mentioning, is the fact that Faulk has a list of 15 teams he can to which he can reject trades. NYI, perhaps, might be on that list.

2019 protected 1st and Nelson...

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
For a team continuously stating the importance they place on character, I don’t think Ho-Sang would be of any interest despite the fact that we need to get more skilled.

Agree, the CAR braintrust would more than likely want absolutely nothing to do with Ho-Sang’s theatrics.

I bet they’d ask for someone like Beauvillier, but get offered someone like Nelson.

2019 protected 1st and Nelson...

Eh...not horrible...the attached first plus the need to move Faulk would make me reluctantly accept this. What is Nelson’s contract status?

Personally, I’d prefer a player like Hayes from NYR over Nelson, but Faulk and his $4.8M are dead weight on the roster at the moment, so getting a warm body up front that’s not completely inept in the top 9 plus a first works for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Unsustainable

LI2RVA

Jul 8, 2016
I think for Faulk the Canes would ask for Beauvillier as a centerpiece. IMO the Canes need to solve the C or G problem in moving one of their D.
No offense, but Beau is 21 y/o, (currently) 2nd line player, 20+ goals, and on an entry level contract. I like Faulk a lot, but I don't think that would be a starting point for a trade between the two. But, who knows! Crazier trades have certainly been made.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
No offense, but Beau is 21 y/o, (currently) 2nd line player, 20+ goals, and on an entry level contract. I like Faulk a lot, but I don't think that would be a starting point for a trade between the two. But, who knows! Crazier trades have certainly been made.

Faulk is a 26 year old top-4 RHD entering his prime. Signed for 2 years @ $4.8 million (Cap hit, salary is higher). Probably not worth as much to a team like NYI, but that is a premium asset for a team currently in their Cup window.

As noted above, Carolina would ask for Beau. Islanders counter with Brock Nelson. Each org has a good laugh and no trade gets done. Probably happens with 99.9% of these communications.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005

I can't see NYI trading Ho Sang right now. They'd rather sink or swim with him. He may fizzle and be out of the league in 2 years, but too much upside for a team that just lost a high upside player.

SlapshotTheMovie

Jan 18, 2013
I highly doubt NYI, who just lost a franchise player for absolutely nothing, is going to start spending assets on players who realistically wont survive a rebuild. I imagine they spend the next season selling pieces off for draft picks. Try again in free agency next year while hoping the prospects develop. Even Faulk for free doesn't make this team a playoff hopeful, the assest spent to get him for possibly a season and a half don't make any sense at all.

Reactions: PWJunior

NYR713

Jun 26, 2012

I doubt they will be rebuilding. LL isn't a rebuilding type. Toronto had already done their selling for the most part so he fit in when it came to straight up building, but look at his final years with the Devils and how he left Shero a lot of work with not a lot of good assets to sell. He's worked some miracles though, so good on Shero.

Isles have over $30M locked into veteran contracts for the next 4 years, including recent 4-year deals to Hickey and Komarov. You would think that Eberle, Lee and Filppula would be guaranteed TDL deals, but they'll have to be in the basement if Lou even considers it.

I do think these two teams could be trading partners (even being in the same division), but I think it's mostly a hockey deal. Eberle or Lee for Faulk nearly straight up... something like with a throw in from NYI because of Faulk's extra year. Although, if I'm CAR and dangling Faulk, I'm probably looking to swap for top-6 C

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Faulk is a 26 year old top-4 RHD entering his prime. Signed for 2 years @ $4.8 million (Cap hit, salary is higher). Probably not worth as much to a team like NYI, but that is a premium asset for a team currently in their Cup window.

As noted above, Carolina would ask for Beau. Islanders counter with Brock Nelson. Each org has a good laugh and no trade gets done. Probably happens with 99.9% of these communications.

That's debatable. Entering the common prime years, yes, but he's going to have to be much better going forward if he's entering his prime. In my opinion he's been disappointing lately, but I held a high ceiling for him.

Reactions: IODCPiper

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
I can't see NYI trading Ho Sang right now. They'd rather sink or swim with him. He may fizzle and be out of the league in 2 years, but too much upside for a team that just lost a high upside player.
Both Trotz and Lou have said he has a clean slate.
It does not sound like the isles are interested in buying high and selling low.

I highly doubt NYI, who just lost a franchise player for absolutely nothing, is going to start spending assets on players who realistically wont survive a rebuild. I imagine they spend the next season selling pieces off for draft picks. Try again in free agency next year while hoping the prospects develop. Even Faulk for free doesn't make this team a playoff hopeful, the assest spent to get him for possibly a season and a half don't make any sense at all.
Lou is calling this a retool, not a rebuild.
And according to the ny media, Lou is shopping for a top 4D.
There is a tweet on the nyi board saying the Isles were in the mix for Karlsson and were reportedly willing to take on Ryan's crap contract to get a Karlsson deal done, but he refused to sign an extension and that ended the trade talk. Hardly sounds like a front office rebuilding.

Last edited by a moderator:

Romkey

Jul 24, 2011

What about something involving Bailey + 2019 1st? I'd think that would check all the boxes for Carolina

SlapshotTheMovie

Jan 18, 2013
Lou is calling this a retool, not a rebuild.
And according to the ny media, Lou is shopping for a top 4D.
There is a tweet on the nyi board saying the Isles were in the mix for Karlsson and were reportedly willing to take on Ryan's crap contract to get a Karlsson deal done, but he refused to sign an extension and that ended the trade talk. Hardly sounds like a front office rebuilding.

I can say my dick is 12 inches... don't make it a reality. Every team is looking for top 4 and top 6 talent for the right price. 30 teams at one point were in the mix for Karlsson. Thats just PR. Islanders couldn't make the playoffs with JT and haven't done anything to replace him and are only a 4d away from the playoffs? OK come look at this bridge i am selling!!!! Islanders are at the bottom of the league right now. Spending assets to get temporary assests will keep them there.

Le Grec

Jun 28, 2011
Eh...not horrible...the attached first plus the need to move Faulk would make me reluctantly accept this. What is Nelson’s contract status?

Personally, I’d prefer a player like Hayes from NYR over Nelson, but Faulk and his $4.8M are dead weight on the roster at the moment, so getting a warm body up front that’s not completely inept in the top 9 plus a first works for me.

He's an RFA this summer, waiting for arbitration...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad