Speculation: Fantasy GM and Rumor Roundup Thread | "Trader Jim" gearing up for TDL

Status
Not open for further replies.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Here are my thoughts on the Brock vs JT Situation.
Right now I have a weird feeling (Nobody actually told me) That JT Miller has expressed interest in staying in Vancouver.
This could have changed the dynamic drastically in trade talks, and could be a major precursor in a Brock Boeser trade, instead.

Well we know Boeser's group met up with or conversed with management a week or so ago.

I bet it's much more likely that once they heard what Boeser is looking for they decided that maybe looking at some trade options is a better idea.

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
The talk about badly behaved teams still attracting players is true. Money matters, and many players will do follow the biggest payday. The problem is they will look at a team like the Canucks as a team that needs to pay up front and locked in so the players don't get Halak'd. Long term that isn't a good outcome, players that really should be on performance bonuses won't be.

It's just not worth it to save $1.5m in a tank year.

Really not a big deal as players 35 and older can get performance bonuses. "Screwing" Halak out of his bonus would maybe mean 1 over 35 player in the next decade doesn't sign here. We've had a less than 10% chance of making the playoffs for a while now. Martin should of been the back up since those games he was amazing to see what we have in him.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
The talk about badly behaved teams still attracting players is true. Money matters, and many players will do follow the biggest payday. The problem is they will look at a team like the Canucks as a team that needs to pay up front and locked in so the players don't get Halak'd. Long term that isn't a good outcome, players that really should be on performance bonuses won't be.

It's just not worth it to save $1.5m in a tank year.

Oh yeah, just think of all of the times this has come up in the past. all those easy-to-hit performance bonuses we've handed out to 36 year old backups, we won't be able to do that anymore!

Like, performance bonuses are pretty rare in the first place as the CBA restricts them heavily.

What was unusual was Jim Benning handing out these easy-to-hit performance bonuses and an NMC in the first place. That's not something that a 36 year old backup goalie usually gets. And if it somehow prevents us from doing it again in the future (it won't) I am 100% fine with that.

Reactions: arttk

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
For the shit Boeser is getting he has 3 less even-strength points than Golden god Miller over the past 2 seasons.
Boeser is a good offensive player and he's had some bad luck with scoring this season, but he's just not a play driver

I agree that he's getting too much hate, but I'd only spend big money on players who can drive play since this roster already has so many overpaid players. Boeser is more of a nice luxury piece to have

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Maybe if you say this enough times without anything to support it, it will eventually be true!
Yeah I'm sure you're right and 31 teams have no interest in Boeser and he'll be traded for almost nothing...

Ok dude. I'm sure you're wrong on this one.

Like if you believe Boeser has less value in the real world than Tyler Toffoli, you gotta unplug from the internet for a few days.
If Boeser is available, and i agree he should be, atleast 25 teams are calling immediately.

Last edited:
Reactions: sting101

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Boeser honestly fits in the Phil Kessel mode for trades, Should do well on a good team, and score.
But is not a guy who drives the play, or should be.
He is a support Sniper, Basically.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Yeah I'm sure you're right and 31 teams have no interest in Boeser and he'll be traded for almost nothing...

Great point. That sarcastic strawman was so convincing!

First I thought, no he won't be worth that much because of his 7.5M QO which he obviously isn't worth. But then I thought, look at this great point that VanillaCoke is making, and now I'm totally convinced!

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015

Seravalli who's the best insider in the game just said he's worth a lot, but of course genius, Melvin knows better!

Boeser is a good offensive player and he's had some bad luck with scoring this season, but he's just not a play driver

I agree that he's getting too much hate, but I'd only spend big money on players who can drive play since this roster already has so many overpaid players. Boeser is more of a nice luxury piece to have

I wouldn't spend big money on Boeser or anything that's not a franchise winger. That being said there's a lot better option than trading him for peanuts like Crouse and Zacha. 1st+good prospect+workable roster player

Reactions: Bettman Returnz

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Great point. That sarcastic strawman was so convincing!

First I thought, no he won't be worth that much because of his 7.5M QO which he obviously isn't worth. But then I thought, look at this great point that VanillaCoke is making, and now I'm totally convinced!
This is just a joke.
Like cmon man, even at 7.5, which isnt guaranteed, we can still retain and he still has value.

If you wamt to seriously argue that a 25 year old top six proven nhl point producer has little to no value, with the individual, and cumulative point totals he's accomplished, on the teams he's accomplished it. (Regardless of how he's accomplished it)

I dont know what to tell you or anyone else who believes that. Its completely ridiculous. Its a stupid argument that makes no sense in reality and im frankly surprised someone like you believes in it.

Reactions: CanuckCity

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
Well we know Boeser's group met up with or conversed with management a week or so ago.

I bet it's much more likely that once they heard what Boeser is looking for they decided that maybe looking at some trade options is a better idea.

Let's say $7M for each of the next two seasons and then $8.5M for his UFA seasons. On a six-year term that would put Boeser at $8M per. He reportedly turned down $7M x 6 three years ago, which would've covered his 10.2 (c) season, another non-arbitration RFA season, three arbitration-eligible seasons and one UFA season. Replace the 10.2 (c), the other non-arb season and the first arbitration season for his 28/29/30 year old UFA seasons; for sure he's going to want even more this time around.

If they don't envision the team contending in the next few years, would they want this contract? Quite possibly not. And the fact that they're shopping Miller is an admission that they are considering a rebuild, so might as well shop Boeser, too.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
This is just a joke.
Like cmon man, even at 7.5, which isnt guaranteed, we can still retain and he still has value.

If you wamt to seriously argue that a 25 year old top six proven nhl point producer has little to no value, with the individual, and cumulative point totals he's accomplished, on the teams he's accomplished it. (Regardless of how he's accomplished it)

I dont know what to tell you or anyone else who believes that. Its completely ridiculous. Its a stupid argument that makes no sense in reality and im frankly surprised someone like you believes in it.

What are you talking about retain? You can't retain on a contract that hasn't been signed.

Whichever team acquires him is either going to be an Arizona that doesn't care about giving him 7.5M+ or else a team which sees him as a rental in which case we'll get the rental price.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
What are you talking about retain? You can't retain on a contract that hasn't been signed.

Whichever team acquires him is either going to be an Arizona that doesn't care about giving him 7.5M+ or else a team which sees him as a rental in which case we'll get the rental price.
Okay sure, we'll see who's right sooner or later.
I'm quite sure he's more valuable that Toffoli, league wide, full stop.

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
I’m pretty sure Boeser will either sign a longer term (3-5 yr) deal for $6-6.5m/yr or go to team elected arbitration and get a sub $7.5m ruling on a 1-2 yr deal. I think that’s still a little on the high side but if he can stay healthy and get his shot back on track he can be worthy of that kind of money…it’s probably going to mitigate trade value to some degree, but he should still fetch a good return.

Reactions: CanuckCity

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Okay sure, we'll see who's right sooner or later.
I'm quite sure he's more valuable that Toffoli, league wide, full stop.

Toffoli is under contract for 2.5 seasons at a bargain of 4.25M. If we could sign Boeser for that price it would be fantastic. And if we were a contender and could swap Boeser for Toffoli on that contract, I would do it in a heartbeat.

And I honestly don't know if we'll "see who's right." I don't really expect him to be traded.

Reactions: Bojack Horvatman

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
I’m pretty sure Boeser will either sign a longer term (3-5 yr) deal for $6-6.5m/yr or go to team elected arbitration and get a sub $7.5m ruling on a 1-2 yr deal. I think that’s still a little on the high side but if he can stay healthy and get his shot back on track he can be worthy of that kind of money…it’s probably going to mitigate trade value to some degree, but he should still fetch a good return.
Brock won’t sign for less than $7M per. He has no reason to.

If anything he plays hardball to get to UFA quicker.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad