Fans: "Refs you suck!! Refs you suck!!"

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005
Don't understand this need to police how fans act - especially harmless shit like this.

Reactions: narfy87

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
One problem with NHL reffing is that the media actively supports their style of reffing. Media often say they're the best refs in sport, and talk about how refs are smart to "let the boys play" (i.e. just blatantly ignore penalties), but if things get out of hand they'll impose game management (i.e. arbitrarily decide to call a penalty after ignoring penalties up to that point).

The score of the game, how many penalties each team has already received, what time of year it is, what time of the game it is, etc. NONE of these should matter. Read the rule book, none of these are in there. Letting the boys play and game management are idiotic concepts. Refs deliberately raise the threshold for what a penalty is, but then when things start to get out of hand (directly as a result of them ignoring blatant penalties), they'll all of a sudden lower that threshold to try to cool things off.

I get that it's a fast game and you can't see everything, but for the things refs do see, they really should be calling those consistently.

Reactions: southernbeardown54

pigpen65

Jul 25, 2011
It's not the refs, it's the rule book. There is a rule against goaltender interference. The announcers don't understand the rule. The fans don't understand the rule. The coaches don't understand the rule. The players don't understand the rule. There are enough examples to show that the rule changes from game to game and situation to situation. It is completely open ended what is or isn't goaltender interference. The league keeps it this way, as it does with the rest of the rule book. It doesn't have to be like that. You could easily define based on a couple black and white guidlines what is or isn't goaltender interference. But the league keeps it like it is. Changeable based on the situation. Is there really a legit reason why icing isn't a black and white rule? That's why you should never place a bet on an NHL game.

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
They also boo and chant that when they review a play from 2 minutes early where the puck might have went in the net but didn't. Nobody noticed at the time, no fans or players, but some guy in Toronto says, "hey lets take a look at that real quick........my bad, didn't go in, carry on." Then the place erupts in boos for losing a goal they never knew about in the first place. They are there to drink beer, watch hockey and make noise, even if the noise doesn't make any sense.

What percentage of people booing Bettman actually know why they are doing it? I'd say if you went up a majority of them and said, "hey, why are you booing him?"....."cuz its Garry ******* Bettman, duh"...."yea, but why do you specifically not like him?"....."........get out of here man."

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
Refs aren't perfect and are going to mess up at times. Considering the speed of the game, lack of replays, and all of what the job entails honestly the refs in the NHL do a pretty good job. The problem is people naturally focus on the 1% of bad calls versus the 99% of good calls. I've seen fans boo off-side calls before, when the play was clearly off-sides. Or they boo when an opponent makes a hard (but clean) check on a player on their team.

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
We shouldn’t blame the refs. We should blame the system.

The players skate incredibly fast. They move the puck quickly and the puck can be shot over 100 mph. It’s not easy to be a referee.

It’s time to bring in video review. Teams are getting screwed.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
We shouldn’t blame the refs. We should blame the system.

The players skate incredibly fast. They move the puck quickly and the puck can be shot over 100 mph. It’s not easy to be a referee.

It’s time to bring in video review. Teams are getting screwed.

Maybe we should slow the game down. No ice. Heavier puck. More players.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
Or maybe fans just suck and we have an increasingly whiny society. :dunno:

This. Can't remember which game I watched a few days ago but any time a player hit the ice and no penalty was called, even if the player slipped on his own: "BOOOOOO!!! Refs you suck!" - an icing call where the home player barely, but obviously, loses the race: "BOOOOO!!! Refs you suck!!" - Obvious offside call: "BOOOOOOO!!!! REFS YOU SUCK!!!!"

Not to say that there haven't been a lot of bad calls this postseason, but I think a lot of fans just like to boo, and a lot of fans find it easier to place blame on referees than their own team.

qwerty

Feb 4, 2007
Calgary
Automation. Robotic refs with 360 degree vision with no inherent biases.

Or

You can have a 3rd ref upstairs who calls the game from above who can see everything from an eagles eye view. They can make the calls that the on ice refs miss because they don’t have to constantly turn their heads, duck hits and flying pucks and etc.

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
Refs aren't perfect and are going to mess up at times. Considering the speed of the game, lack of replays, and all of what the job entails honestly the refs in the NHL do a pretty good job. The problem is people naturally focus on the 1% of bad calls versus the 99% of good calls. I've seen fans boo off-side calls before, when the play was clearly off-sides. Or they boo when an opponent makes a hard (but clean) check on a player on their team.

This is literally it. The speed of the game on ice is insane and the refs have to manage everything happening at that speed. People don't think about that cause they don't care.

Mob mentality is pitiful to watch. People love ripping on someone else cause they messed something up, especially when if affects something they're so emotionally attached to like a team. They're all just hypocrites.

Call me petty but I'm a fair weather fan - I literally go to Victoria Royals games just to watch the fans witness their team lose. No problem with the team itself, just the homers.

ProspectsSTC

Jul 12, 2014
How would you like to go to your job, work hard, travel, keep in shape, keep up with the speed of the Fastest, most skilled league in the world and make judgments on the spot where everyone else has the benefit of no judgment and replay,.... then on top of that have hundreds of thousands or millions of people judge you watching in tv on social media and every other platform, as well as twenty thousand chanting you suck right in front of your bosses.

Refs are human and it’s a thankless job. Let’s see if you could do better is what i always say.

Ps the chants are ridiculous. It’s immature, redundant and does the home crowd really think the refs are going to be kinder to the home team after those chants? It’s completely idiotic.

Oh god.

I know I may embarrass sabres fans with my Eichel promoting but please don’t say us sabres fans have it hard from the refs like it’s some kind of con, or some kind of grudge against the sabres and we always take the worst of it. We’ve been a bad team for a decade, you have to be good to be lucky and lucky to be good. It works the exact same way with being bad to be unlucky.

You just said it yourself that you’ve heard the chant about the refs in every arena. Every teams fan bases go nuts.

Go to the boards of every team especially a Canadian team that loses and watch the chaos.

Listen to the biased announcers usually colour guys who throw every call in question.

Every team gets screwed. It’s part of the game, ask Vegas how there season ended tonight? Sabres have it no different then any other team.

We use the reffing thing as a reason to feel better about ourselves like it could be us that’s part of the problem, it’s a misguided victim complex and people need to see it how it is.

I’m not saying you’re crying or anything about it I’m just making sure you realize Ll thirty other teams get hosed as much as we do.
Those poor guys, having to travel to amazing cities all over North America, having virtually no accountability to the people you're servicing, and getting paid at least $165k to do it

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Those poor guys, having to travel to amazing cities all over North America, having virtually no accountability to the people you're servicing, and getting paid at least $165k to do it

No accountability? They are accountable. Its just not broadcast. They are not rewarded by the league for brilliant calls nor singled out officially for mistakes. They are certainly reviewed on video after every game they do.

Who are the people their are servicing? If you mean the league office, then they are accountable. If you mean anyone else, then you are misguided

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
The people who spout nonsense about how ‘times are changing’ and some sort of concept that only today do players and fans do this - its so untrue it pains me to see people so woefully ignorant

Quit trying to blame the next generation simply because time is passing you by

ProspectsSTC

Jul 12, 2014
No accountability? They are accountable. Its just not broadcast. They are not rewarded by the league for brilliant calls nor singled out officially for mistakes. They are certainly reviewed on video after every game they do.

Who are the people their are servicing? If you mean the league office, then they are accountable. If you mean anyone else, then you are misguided
They are acting as the officials for a piece of entertainment, meaning they are servicing both the players and the fans

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad