Face-Off hockey movie from 1971

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
It was well over a decade since I last saw this movie. A couple of weeks ago, I received a DVD copy as a birthday present, popped it in, and re-watched it. For those who have never seen it -- the plot is lacking and some of the acting is borderline atrocious but the hockey footage is absolutely remarkable and a must-see for all fans imho.

The DVD is remastered and the up-close footage of the real players during the early-70s is marvelous. All of the greats are featured in gameplay footage -- Orr, Gordie, Esposito, Beliveau, Mikita, Hull, Plante, Sanderson, Armstrong, Cournoyer, and even a baby faced Sittler.

In addition to the excellent player footage, all of the old barns are used in this movie -- Maple Leaf Gardens, the Forum, The Olympia, Great Western Forum, Spectrum in Philly, etc. Certain scenes are shot on the MLG concourse and really capture the nostalgia of the time.

The movie itself is retro funky oddball to me but we will never again see a sports movie where all of the megastars are featured in the footage at the level of play. The DVD also includes Power Play -- an awesome bonus feature parody with young John Candy playing Billy Stemhovilichski from the Toronto Bay Leaves. Imho the parody alone is worth the DVD.

I'd love to know where some of the non-hockey scenes were filmed, including the neighborhood scenes, bar scenes, house scenes, etc.

Here a trailer...

Reactions: Overrated

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
At least part of the movie was filmed in the West End, because I recall Hong Kong Gardens, a restaurant that is still there today, and I believe is Toronto's oldest Chinese restaurant definitely appears in the movie at some point.

Reactions: Boxscore

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
There was a book as well, featuring Art Hindle himself as Billy Duke on the cover.

IMG_8417.jpeg

Reactions: Boxscore

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad