Fabbro

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
I mean, he's not optimally what you'd call a "1st pair defenseman". Yet, when he got consistent utilization paired with Josi, it worked, and Josi had his best season ever. I think Fabbro is more likely a "passable #4" type of player in general... assuming you ran him out there regularly and didn't have him walking on eggshells. Which is basically what happened after the 2021-22 season. At that juncture, after his good showing, I figured he was going to slide into being something like a 4x$4M type of middle-pairing defenseman (ironically, what the organization seems to think Carrier is!)

He was actually really good with Josi 2 seasons ago. He hung back and covered, his skating was a net plus, he may not have been physical but he also wasn't making mistakes. He has enough skill with the puck that he can play it up nicely, so that plus his skating means we don't really need him to be physical. Basically, there is no way on god's green earth that he should be relegated to being a healthy scratch, especially on this team which is not at all strong on defense atm.

Something about that concussion and whatever happened heading into the playoff series at the end of 2022 seems to have flipped the organizational script on Fabbro for some reason. I wish I knew what it was. Because to my eyes, just as a dumbass fan watching the games, I think he is getting a raw deal here. He shouldn't have signed that extension, tbh. He should be trying everything in his power to get the heck out of here. He's a better player than we're letting him be.

Last edited:

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Could he still be a top pair guy? His numbers only dropped with Hines. Got better again last year. Dmen take a while to develop and he’s still very young…. What do you think?
Fabbro's issue with this coaching staff is he's too passive and sometimes when he rushes he panicks. Brunnette would rather you make a mistake being aggressive than to panick and turn it over, which has haunted Fabbro his entire young career.

If he settles and reduces the panick maybe learn to play more aggressive but controlled, he'll be outstanding. As he is now, he's average.

originalpredfan

Oct 27, 2013
Fabbro's issue with this coaching staff is he's too passive and sometimes when he rushes he panicks. Brunnette would rather you make a mistake being aggressive than to panick and turn it over, which has haunted Fabbro his entire young career.

If he settles and reduces the panick maybe learn to play more aggressive but controlled, he'll be outstanding. As he is now, he's average.
It's entirely possible that as stated before he is walking (skating) on eggshells not to panic in fear of making a mistake. I agree that for some reason he is constantly relegated to the pressbox when I believe he needs to be on the ice. For him to gain confidence I believe is a two way street and management needs to show confidence in him. Give him a fair shot and if that doesn't work let him go elsewhere.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
It's entirely possible that as stated before he is walking (skating) on eggshells not to panic in fear of making a mistake. I agree that for some reason he is constantly relegated to the pressbox when I believe he needs to be on the ice. For him to gain confidence I believe is a two way street and management needs to show confidence in him. Give him a fair shot and if that doesn't work let him go elsewhere.
And it would be different if we had 6 better D and none of them made mistakes. (Or even 3 better on the right side). I don't believe in free lunches. But I also don't believe in double standards.

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
I'm in the mind of this:

Fabbro + Glass + TBL 2nd

for

Radko Gudas at 50%

Takes care of the cap crunch, gives Nashville a beefy RHD, and Anaheim gets young players.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
I'm in the mind of this:

Fabbro + Glass + TBL 2nd

for

Radko Gudas at 50%

Takes care of the cap crunch, gives Nashville a beefy RHD, and Anaheim gets young players.
TBH, I'd rather NOT pay something to get them to retain on Gudas, or for us to take him back in the deal at all. We already have Schenn who plays the same game. It's not a great game that we really need more of.

We may have to pay to dump Glass, we shouldn't have to pay anything to dump Fabbro. Put those two things together, we shouldn't have to give up anything, net. Then we can just sign Justin Schultz or Adam Boqvist or whoever on a cheap deal if we want another crappy RD to backfill the roster spot.
:dunno:

Last edited:

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
TBH, I'd rather not pay something to get them to retain on Gudas, or to take him back in the deal at all. We already have Schenn who plays the same game. It's not a great game that we really need more of.

We may have to pay to dump Glass, we shouldn't have to pay anything to dump Fabbro. Put those two things together, we shouldn't have to give up anything, net. Then we can just sign Justin Schultz or Adam Boqvist or whoever on a cheap deal if we want another crappy RD to backfill the roster spot.
:dunno:

I have the pick to pay the Ducks to eat 2 mil of Gudas' contract

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019

What makes him a solid fit with the freelance heavy "I wanna be a center" game of Josi is precisely the thing that makes him useless in this coach's system: a game suited to defending the blue line, defense first, and not taking chances.

And I agree. Rushing a play when you have time is panic. He is the rare exception in this franchise who never played a minute in the AHL. The clock in his head seems to be too fast, too often. When you couple that with some overconfidence in his passing skill, he'll try to thread passes that he doesn't need too, too soon, and through gaps that don't exist. Again, Brunette's system looks on turnovers with great negativity. He'd rather a guy spend his time battling for 50/50 pucks along the wall than flipping errant passes and team shift to play more defense. It's anti-strategic play.

PS: All that said, he's far from the only D-man we have that makes mistakes, doesn't have a huge physical game, or doesn't have a massive offensive game. He's just a face in a crowd on those issues.

Preds Partisan

Gunga galunga
Aug 17, 2009
An average Dman who doesn't fit Brunette's vision. Trig is right on that account. Also, one of a handful of players in a group that the coaching staff developed an early negative opinion of that apparently is almost impossible to change their minds on.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Looking at his edge stats, his speed is his weakness. Only Schenn was slower and it's close. That used to be his strength. Ironically, Lauzon's speed is right there with Statsney, ahead of Josi and Carrier. Skjei is compariable to Lauzon and Statsney.

• Wow
Reactions: PredsV82

beardawg

Feb 12, 2015
Washington, DC
Fabbro is such a curious case. He had that 1st round pedigree for a while that's completely worn off by now. I can't remember if he was projected to be more offensive or not when we grabbed him, but his point totals seem lower than what they should be. He passes the eye test, but doesn't really excel at anything on the ice. I think he's a dependable #4 that most teams would like to have, but as others have said, multiple coaching staffs have soured on him

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
Fabbro is such a curious case. He had that 1st round pedigree for a while that's completely worn off by now. I can't remember if he was projected to be more offensive or not when we grabbed him, but his point totals seem lower than what they should be. He passes the eye test, but doesn't really excel at anything on the ice. I think he's a dependable #4 that most teams would like to have, but as others have said, multiple coaching staffs have soured on him
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Fabbro was more about assists in college while Farrance was the offensive defenseman. In the super brief time Farrance was here, he clearly had some skill running a powerplay. Given how fast he flamed out, I guess it was like everything else about his game wasn't good. :dunno:

We moved Fabbro into the lineup expecting he would be our Makar/Heiskanen (light maybe, but a foundational piece for many years to come) on the backend. I remember Poile and Lavi gushing about him with "sky is the limit" sort of talk.

Last edited:

wmupreds

Dec 15, 2022
He was also a 17th overall. That draft was pretty good but turning into a competent #4ish defenseman is a perfectly good result at 17.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
He was also a 17th overall. That draft was pretty good but turning into a competent #4ish defenseman is a perfectly good result at 17.
The 2016 draft is kindof weird. Several players picked right after Fabbro failed harder then him: Logan Stanley, Keifer Bellows, etc. Then there are a couple absolute homeruns taken later: Tage Thompson, Alex DeBrincat, Jordan Kyrou, Samuel Girard, Filip Hronek, Adam Fox, etc.

Guess it is like that every draft but several really good players came out of the 2nd-4th rounds

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad