F Seth Jarvis - Portland Winterhawks, WHL (2020, 13th, CAR)

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
But you can look at his stats and see he clearly must be talented when producing better numbers than those 2 in their draft years...Maybe it's his size or him flying under the radar but the kid can be a steal if he really falls to the latter 3rd of the 1st round.
It's more a question of how translatable his game is. He is obviously very skilled — you'd have to be to put up the numbers Jarvis is —but a lot of his production comes off of the rush and as a smaller guy it is always tough to make the transition to the NHL. I'm not sure if he's dynamic enough to pull off what he's doing now in the NHL.

Very intriguing prospect though. I've got him in my mid-late 1st round.

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
It's more a question of how translatable his game is. He is obviously very skilled — you'd have to be to put up the numbers Jarvis is —but a lot of his production comes off of the rush and as a smaller guy it is always tough to make the transition to the NHL. I'm not sure if he's dynamic enough to pull off what he's doing now in the NHL.

Very intriguing prospect though. I've got him in my mid-late 1st round.
It takes skill to put up numbers off the rush. Look at McDavid for example , he is the best in the NHL at converting goals and assists of the rush. When I watched this kids highlights on YouTube from this past season he did some damage on the cycle too. He was also a big forechecker too and has been praised for that by multiple scouts. Also said he goes to the dirt areas alot and is good in tight around the net. Seems like a safe pick aside from his size. He might not be elite in any category but he certainly is above average in many.

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
Barring any lottery win, I’d be ecstatic if the Jets selected him. Kid can flat out play!!!!

By the time Wheeler’s career is winding down in 2-3 seasons, Jarvis could be coming up as the next offensive weapon in the Jets top 6

Last edited:
Reactions: heilongjetsfan

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
Jarvis' production symbolizes the lack of talent competing in the WHL. It is odd how much players are producing in the CHL compared to only 5-6 years ago. Portland's bread and butter are these undersized, skilled players who are given free reigns inflating their production.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Jarvis' production symbolizes the lack of talent competing in the WHL. It is odd how much players are producing in the CHL compared to only 5-6 years ago. Portland's bread and butter are these undersized, skilled players who are given free reigns inflating their production.

The WHL has been better the last few years then it has in awhile. Krebs, Cozens, Byram, Beckman, Fonstad, Foote, Smith, Teply, Tracey. etc. Goalies were better than any of the other CHL leagues and about on par with how good they usually are. It's definitely not as easy to score in the WHL compared to the other two leagues right now. Defensive systems are damn good.

I've said it many times before but I think Jarvis is a very very similar player to Ehlers. The size, speed, hands, production. It's all very similar and people will sleep on Jarvis like they slept on Ehlers. Would love to have him on the Jets.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
The WHL has been better the last few years then it has in awhile. Krebs, Cozens, Byram, Beckman, Fonstad, Foote, Smith, Teply, Tracey. etc. Goalies were better than any of the other CHL leagues and about on par with how good they usually are. It's definitely not as easy to score in the WHL compared to the other two leagues right now. Defensive systems are damn good.

I've said it many times before but I think Jarvis is a very very similar player to Ehlers. The size, speed, hands, production. It's all very similar and people will sleep on Jarvis like they slept on Ehlers. Would love to have him on the Jets.
Jets seem to specialize in small, productive forwards from Portland (Petan, De Leo, Mckenzie). So far, they are 0 for 3, but Jarvis has much better wheels than those three.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

Agree with the Ehlers comparison to some degree, but Ehlers' speed / skating is a tier higher than Jarvis, in my view.

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
I think their pretty similar skating wise. Jarvis might be the best overall skater in the Dub right now.
Jarvis is no where close to being the best skater in the WHL. A lot of the smaller players skating is constantly overrated because they move their feet so fast but the bigger players with long strides like Cozens and Guhle are much faster and better skaters. Jarvis is a above average skater but he has a ways to go before ever being elite. Jarvis and Sourdif are very close for skating ability and no one is gushing about Sourdif the way they are Jarvis.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Ehlers is one of the best skaters in the NHL. Jarvis is a good skater and is improving, but Ehlers' skating is special.

Oh absolutely. But just like Ehlers with Halifax there arent any defenders in the Dub he can't blow by pretty easily.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Jarvis is no where close to being the best skater in the WHL. A lot of the smaller players skating is constantly overrated because they move their feet so fast but the bigger players with long strides like Cozens and Guhle are much faster and better skaters. Jarvis is a above average skater but he has a ways to go before ever being elite. Jarvis and Sourdif are very close for skating ability and no one is gushing about Sourdif the way they are Jarvis.

Sourdif is a great skater but he doesnt finish as well as Jarvis. Of course no one is gushing over him Jarvis shoots waaaaay better than Sourdif likley ever will and have better hands to boot. Jarvis picked it up towards the end of the season and similar to Ehlers he is getting underrated. Jarvis edges are waaaaay better than Cozens or Guhle. Zero doubt in my mind he could outskate either of them to the puck. They cover a lot of ground in tight spaces but when Jarvis is opened up they stand zero chance of beating him to a puck. Ehlers doesnt always beat everyone in close races but when the ice is opened up he can burn by a lot of guys. Jarvis is going to get underrated and whatever team picks him will be very happy.

McGilliScout

Apr 12, 2020

I don't think the main reason people are gushing over Jarvis is the skating alone. It's the skating plus the rest of the package that makes people excited.

There is certainly a lot of hyperbole (I agree, Jarvis is not the best skater in the WHL) but he is still a pretty damn good skater.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Is it just me, or does this guy look like he's 35 with the body of a 17 year old?
ZQ6B64EUJFHPVPCMEKCW564YKE.jpg

No kidding, he looks at least 10 years older than Ryan Nugent-Hopkins.

goldenbladz1

Feb 11, 2015
Ehlers is one of the best skaters in the NHL. Jarvis is a good skater and is improving, but Ehlers' skating is special.
Ya Ehlers is a bullet train he so fast. I don’t see Jarvis play other than video and he reminds me of Marner

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
I had a discussion in the Colorado draft thread about Jarvis yesterday; I was suggesting Jarvis as a draft target and mentioned that his speed and overall game is very translatable, and that he has a high ceiling in the NHL. However a couple of other posters disagreed and said that he was a bit "meh" as a 1st rounder, with a game that doesn't translate and no stand-out skill to fall back on.

As such I'm curious to hear some thoughts on whether his game is translatable...

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I had a discussion in the Colorado draft thread about Jarvis yesterday; I was suggesting Jarvis as a draft target and mentioned that his speed and overall game is very translatable, and that he has a high ceiling in the NHL. However a couple of other posters disagreed and said that he was a bit "meh" as a 1st rounder, with a game that doesn't translate and no stand-out skill to fall back on.

As such I'm curious to hear some thoughts on whether his game is translatable...

At Colorado's spot? There's no way Jarvis falls that low.

Jarvis has just as much "stand out skill", if not more so, than any player who is going to be available at 30. The only guys who might be available there that have comparable skill will be much riskier picks than Jarvis. Like Hirvonen, Nybeck, or the small Russians - Khusnutdinov, Pashin, Gushchin.

Reactions: Dominance

Ad

Upcoming events

• Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $265.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Norway vs Denmark
    Norway vs Denmark
    Wagers: 2