F Sam O’Reilly - London Knights, OHL (2024, 32nd, EDM)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I don't think his ultimate upside has been shown yet. Stylistically he plays like ROR or Forsberg (which is to say he's big, physical, very good defensively, and is a goal scorer). I think he *could* absolutely hit the peak of a guy like ROR, who shared many of his traits in the OHL and also had his main weakness as skating. I don't really think that's super likely, but in some aspects he's better than ROR was at the same age. His shot is great, and he has good puck handling skills and creativity, and has high IQ. Not often do you get that combination of size and skill on a guy who is also big, solid defensively, and physical. I don't know that he'll ever reach that peak, but I do think his ceiling is a ppg player, and I think it's more likely he settles into a solid 2C role putting up 40-60 pts a year while being physical and solid defensively. He could also turn into a depth role player energy guy who puts up some points but is only ever used as a defensive center who bangs and PK's.
if you think he can do similar, then i see why you would take him much higher than me.

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
if you think he can do similar, then i see why you would take him much higher than me.
I think his floor is a great defensive forward who puts up 20-30 points a year on the 3rd or possibly 4th line. I think his potential upside is something like what ROR has become, yes. Do I think it's likely he hits that? No. But possible, at least.

Avs2022

Jan 4, 2011

Been wanting to make this for quite a while, and after his string of recent games I figured it is time for the thread, in his last 6 games played in the GOJHL he has 19 points. Very impressive statline.

O’Reilly‘s game can be condensed in being described as a speedy power forward. He has a good motor, he at times can be relentless on the forecheck using his speed and size effectively. He possesses good size at 6’1” and has some good tools in his arsenal. He has great vision in the offensive zone and shows off a nice playmaking touch from time to time. His shot leaves a little to be desired for sure and his hands at times fall behind his feet but the tools that he has are impressive and is solid foundation to build off of.
Sounds just like another O'Reilly drafted by the Avs many years ago.

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
O'Reilly had 2 assists tonight, getting credit on both of Cowan's goals, he had a nice little takeaway and made a nice chip play to Cowan for the first, and is being credited off the faceoff for the 2nd (but it was pretty much entirely Cowan's play). He was on the mark again defensively though with some nice plays and had a solid game overall and created some chances too. He's now up to 4 points in 3 games heading into the final on Sunday.

• Love
Reactions: OilynutEsquire

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I wonder if his play at the end of the season causes him to move way up in draft, i.e late teens/early 20's as opposed to 2nd rounder?

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
I wonder if his play at the end of the season causes him to move way up in draft, i.e late teens/early 20's as opposed to 2nd rounder?
There's been some talk among guys like Button/Pronman et al that teams might have him in the 1st. I think we could see something like we did with Cowan last year.

dmead

Code Spelunker
Jan 12, 2018
London
Been watching Sam all year in London. Its been a pleasure watching him develop. He will be a solid 3rd line center with possible 2nd line ceiling. Hes a hard guy to play against. Pair him up with some creative finishers and he will give you points.

One of the most responsible defensive forwards in the Knights lineup, and that is really saying something.

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
Very similar players, but SOR might actually be a better prospect than ROR was at the time. Think his skating is better and he's more physical. At the time ROR didn't have the greatest scoring numbers either.
ROR was very good in his 16 year old season for a shitty Erie team, but then his production barely grew in his 17 year old season for an ok Erie group. SOR is taking the Cowan/Evangelista (classic London) path of barely or not even playing in the O at age 16, but bursting onto the scene with a great 17 year old season.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
He's sneaky good like Cowan was last year. Cawan was ranked around the same as Sam. A possible first rounder. I bet Sam has a Cowanesque year next year in London. Knights could potentially bring back Cowan, Bonk and Dickinson as well.

I think him and COwan have some similarities. Cowan is more of a "waterbug" and a better skater but O'Reilly has much more typical pro size and a power game that feels easier to project working at the next level. Both have some bite to their game as well. I think O'Reilly will do the classic put up huge numbers as a knight player in their draft+2 year as well.

The way O'Reilly has played to end the season and into the mem cup, I have started to put him all the way into the 15 range where Detroit picks. As a Detroit fan Idont know if I would love it, but I would take a wait and see on the offence approach and trust the staff on it

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
I think him and COwan have some similarities. Cowan is more of a "waterbug" and a better skater but O'Reilly has much more typical pro size and a power game that feels easier to project working at the next level. Both have some bite to their game as well. I think O'Reilly will do the classic put up huge numbers as a knight player in their draft+2 year as well.

The way O'Reilly has played to end the season and into the mem cup, I have started to put him all the way into the 15 range where Detroit picks. As a Detroit fan Idont know if I would love it, but I would take a wait and see on the offence approach and trust the staff on it
After seeing what Robert Thomas, Connor McMichael, Luke Evangelista, & Easton Cowan have all done in their post draft Knights seasons, I would guess someone will bite and take O'Reilly in the 20s.

samsagat

Jun 20, 2013
I like his complete package.

I noticed him watching a Sam Dickinson shift by shift video for personal scouting.

He catched my eye, I was like: who's this #23 player?

I went to hockeydb and realised he was a '24 draft eligible..

I'd be pleased if my Habs draft him with Winnipeg 1st rd pick.

He has NHL written all over him.

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario
This draft seems a bit all over the place in terms of valuation. Could see him going as high as 22 but most likely in the 25-35 range.

This draft seems a bit all over the place in terms of valuation. Could see him going as high as 22

Reactions: hn777

Starry Knight

Tele-Wyatt
Jun 9, 2013
KW
70 point potential within 5 years. Quote me

I just don't see it. He's more Radek Faksa than Ryan O'Rielly in my view. He's got decent hands and a good motor, but is sorely lacking on a lot of skating elements to be a top-line player.

I'd love to be proven wrong as a Knights fan, but I don't stand as firmly behind him as I did Easton Cowan last year.

TopC0rner

Feb 21, 2018
I just don't see it. He's more Radek Faksa than Ryan O'Rielly in my view. He's got decent hands and a good motor, but is sorely lacking on a lot of skating elements to be a top-line player.

I'd love to be proven wrong as a Knights fan, but I don't stand as firmly behind him as I did Easton Cowan last year.
The good part is that skating is what many NHL players were able to develop a lot after being drafted.

I think he's going to play in the NHL, 40-55 points kind of player that can fit on a 2nd/3rd line.

Pass the Saitl Sauce

Apr 30, 2015
The good part is that skating is what many NHL players were able to develop a lot after being drafted.

I think he's going to play in the NHL, 40-55 points kind of player that can fit on a 2nd/3rd line.
Skating was exactly what held back Ryan Orielly from being an NHLer, he just happened to develop that post draft and make the nhl as an 18 year old

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad