F Sam O’Reilly - London Knights, OHL (2024, 32nd, EDM)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com

Been wanting to make this for quite a while, and after his string of recent games I figured it is time for the thread, in his last 6 games played in the GOJHL he has 19 points. Very impressive statline.

O’Reilly‘s game can be condensed in being described as a speedy power forward. He has a good motor, he at times can be relentless on the forecheck using his speed and size effectively. He possesses good size at 6’1” and has some good tools in his arsenal. He has great vision in the offensive zone and shows off a nice playmaking touch from time to time. His shot leaves a little to be desired for sure and his hands at times fall behind his feet but the tools that he has are impressive and is solid foundation to build off of.

Starry Knight

Tele-Wyatt
Jun 9, 2013
KW
Out of the three 16 year old forwards that have suited up for the Knights this season, I’d have him second. He impressed more than Testa by being more consistently engaged in the play, but less impressive than William Nicholl who was extremely skilled and more confident than either of the other two.

Reactions: Dominance

Holden Caufield

Oct 9, 2020
Ontario
What a season and he seems to be getting more confident and stronger every game. He now leads the OHL in rookie scoring.

O’Reilly plays the complete 200 foot game. His skating is great. Very smart player and strong on the puck. Holding down a top 6 centre role right now. As older guys have been shifted to the wing to accommodate his rise.

He started to show a lot more offensive flare recently when some London stars left for the WJC’s. He got an increased role and has scored 18 points in his last 13 games.

There are no glaring holes in his game. His rise up the ranks is warranted IMO.

ZYXWVUT

Feb 26, 2024
Idk if he sneaks into round one, but with the seemingly barrage of names after 20ish, it’s def possible. If not, he will be gone early second I would guarantee.

Reactions: OilynutEsquire

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
He's not gonna be there in the second round.
Wouldn’t shock me. NHL teams love guys who already understand the defensive game and who know the details of the game at a young age.

Only knock on O’Reilly is he isn’t a great skater but he’s not a bad skater. Hes the type of kid that you know is going to work and push himself to be the best he can be.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I think he's a pretty good skater, or at least pretty fast. I don't see it being an issue. He reminds me of Ryan Hartman a little bit, though not so much of a hothead. I think GM's are going to love his size, overall game, and toughness. Seems like he is made for the pro game.

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
Was wondering where this guys thread was. Fantastic player. I really think next year he'll explode and look like a top 10 pick. His has size, skill, sick hands, good playmaking, vision, he's physical, his defense is very good, his shot is also quite good. His skating is good enough to get around but he doesn't have the acceleration to blow past guys. He doesn't really have any weaknesses in his game and once the 1st line graduates and he gets some top PP time I think he'll look incredible. His faceoff skill is also pretty good. Heard he was upwards of 60% on faceoffs against Moose Jaw tonight.

He's one of my favorite Knight prospects, he's just so damn projectable and has everything you could want both on and off the puck. Super smart player with very high upside.

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
Pronman believes he's going late 1st round based on who he has talked to around the league and at this point with a London Knights forward, you definitely can't bet against it.
He's sneaky good like Cowan was last year. Cawan was ranked around the same as Sam. A possible first rounder. I bet Sam has a Cowanesque year next year in London. Knights could potentially bring back Cowan, Bonk and Dickinson as well.

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
He's sneaky good like Cowan was last year. Cawan was ranked around the same as Sam. A possible first rounder. I bet Sam has a Cowanesque year next year in London. Knights could potentially bring back Cowan, Bonk and Dickinson as well.
O’Reilly didn’t show he was a play driver the way Cowan did last year, however. Other than being 2nd round picks into the OHL that played for the London Knights in their 17 year old seasons as rookies, there isn’t much similar between the players in how they play.

Reactions: Blueston

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
O’Reilly didn’t show he was a play driver the way Cowan did last year, however. Other than being 2nd round picks into the OHL that played for the London Knights in their 17 year old seasons as rookies, there isn’t much similar between the players in how they play.
Different styles for sure. But, flying under the radar in the same way. That was really my only comparison. Cowan has taken huge leaps year after year. O'Reilly is doing the same. I think he will step up huge next year for London.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Different styles for sure. But, flying under the radar in the same way. That was really my only comparison. Cowan has taken huge leaps year after year. O'Reilly is doing the same. I think he will step up huge next year for London.
London's development program is outstanding, but I question O'Reilly's ultimate upside. If we think he is a solid middle 6 winger, that doesn't feel like pick in 20s. What is his upside beyond that? As a middle 6 center? Or does he have real offensive upside? Because I think he can be good player, but if he is going to be guy like Danton Heinen how high you want to pick that?

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
London's development program is outstanding, but I question O'Reilly's ultimate upside. If we think he is a solid middle 6 winger, that doesn't feel like pick in 20s. What is his upside beyond that? As a middle 6 center? Or does he have real offensive upside? Because I think he can be good player, but if he is going to be guy like Danton Heinen how high you want to pick that?
I don't think his ultimate upside has been shown yet. Stylistically he plays like ROR or Forsberg (which is to say he's big, physical, very good defensively, and is a goal scorer). I think he *could* absolutely hit the peak of a guy like ROR, who shared many of his traits in the OHL and also had his main weakness as skating. I don't really think that's super likely, but in some aspects he's better than ROR was at the same age. His shot is great, and he has good puck handling skills and creativity, and has high IQ. Not often do you get that combination of size and skill on a guy who is also big, solid defensively, and physical. I don't know that he'll ever reach that peak, but I do think his ceiling is a ppg player, and I think it's more likely he settles into a solid 2C role putting up 40-60 pts a year while being physical and solid defensively. He could also turn into a depth role player energy guy who puts up some points but is only ever used as a defensive center who bangs and PK's.

Gregor Samsa

Sep 5, 2020
A middle 6 guy in the 20’s is pretty good. Lots of literal who’s selected in the later first round throughout the years

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad