F Rutger McGroarty - University of Michigan, NCAA (2022, 14th, WPG; traded to PIT)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Just looked at the last regular season game, game log:

Kupari, Lambert, Niederreiter, Vilardi, Gustafsson, and Chibrikov all played under 15 minutes.

The other April games weren't loaded either.

Clearly there was no room for McGroaty on this stacked roster of superstars. And there were definitely nobody who could have used some rest before round 1.

Jets displayed a real lack of confidence in their roster finishing off the season strong. Playing McGroaty was going to make very little difference. It was a low risk high upside situation, and they fumbled it big time.
Except it appears he was asking for guaranteed roster spot to start this season as a condition of signing.

Sucks for the Jets but NO top playoff team is going to guarantee that. Only the bottom few teams would be able / willing to do that.

Reactions: HabsAddict

Chuck Testa

Mar 27, 2017
Except it appears he was asking for guaranteed roster spot to start this season as a condition of signing.

Sucks for the Jets but NO top playoff team is going to guarantee that. Only the bottom few teams would be able / willing to do that.

The Hawks could guarantee him a roster spot.

His Michigan buddy Nazar might make the team as well this coming season.

Reactions: Mrfenn92

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site

Cheve wants a young roster player for him, which guarantees that rebuilding teams wont touch him.

A team like the Habs will never trade someone like Newhook for him. A veteran and a draft choice is the most Hughes is likely to give up.

GMs are not in the business of helping another GM by shooting themselves in the foot. There is only one Blake in the NHL...

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
BS.

Good teams are not in the habit of guaranteeing playing time / roster spots.
Are the Jets a good team?

Anyway, I'll speak for my team, the Rangers, (a good team).

I would have no issue guaranteeing him top 9 and PP. Every team in the league, including good teams, has at least one semi-open top 9 and PP spot. If a team wants him enough, they'll be willing to do so.

The Jets don't, so they are going to proceed like this. That's their choice. Time will tell if they made the right decision.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Just looked at the last regular season game, game log:

Kupari, Lambert, Niederreiter, Vilardi, Gustafsson, and Chibrikov all played under 15 minutes.

The other April games weren't loaded either.

Clearly there was no room for McGroaty on this stacked roster of superstars. And there was definitely nobody who could have used some rest before round 1.

Jets displayed a real lack of confidence in their roster finishing off the season strong. Playing McGroaty was going to make very little difference. It was a low risk high upside situation, and they fumbled it big time.

Niederraiter and Vilardi are full time NHL players. Lambert and Chibrikov are also both young prospects that have done everything asked of them and played well in the AHL. They were more then deserving of a game. Gus and especially Kupari didn't play much in the season, but both needed some game time as well, although sitting one for McGroarty wouldn't have been an issue, if that was actually the problem.

But as it's already been established, the Jets had 0 issues signing McGroarty and turning him pro late last season. There's a disconnect in terms of how the players camp wants assurances of NHL playing time, and the Jets (and most teams) rightly so aren't going to make a player a promise like that.

I would have no issue guaranteeing him top 9 and PP. Every team in the league, including good teams, has at least one semi-open top 9 and PP spot. If a team wants him enough, they'll be willing to do so.

The Jets don't, so they are going to proceed like this. That's their choice. Time will tell if they made the right decision.

They finished with 110 points and tied for 4th overall. They stunk in the 1st round against the Avs, but they were a good team.

Reactions: Heldig

jgimp

Sep 18, 2017
Ripley, Ont
It would be nice if NCAA athletes could attend training camp without losing their amateur status. I suspect McGroarty isn't ready, but if he were to win a spot in camp then that would settle it.
How confident can he be if he can’t even show up for rookie camp? Face off against his competitors in Lambert and Chibrikov. Show management what thry have and how much he believes in himself that he’s ready.
He’s a spoiled petulant child who thinks opportunities should be given and not earned.

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
How confident can he be if he can’t even show up for rookie camp? Face off against his competitors in Lambert and Chibrikov. Show management what thry have and how much he believes in himself that he’s ready.
He’s a spoiled petulant child who thinks opportunities should be given and not earned.
Maybe he doesn't want to commit to a team that refused to give him the same thing that all high profile NCAA prospects get?

Even Lane Hutson, a late 2nd rounder from the same draft, got to burn the first year of his ELC playing 2 NHL games in his D+1...

Cutter Gauthier got the same from Anaheim.

Why would McGroarty accept less? They should just have signed him, played him a game, then they would have his rights, he would have burnt a year of his ELC, and they could have sent him to the AHL this year. Everyone would have been happy.

But yeah, Winnipeg was too great of a team to do that... Now deal with the consequences.

The way they treated Perfetti is not a great sign for any young forward in the system.

thedjpd

Sponsor
Dec 12, 2002
San Jose, CA
Maybe he doesn't want to commit to a team that refused to give him the same thing that all high profile NCAA prospects get?

Even Lane Hutson, a late 2nd rounder from the same draft, got to burn the first year of his ELC playing 2 NHL games in his D+1...

Why would McGroarty accept less? They should just have signed him, played him a game, then they would have his rights, he would have burnt a year of his ELC, and they could have sent him to the AHL this year. Everyone would have been happy.

But yeah, Winnipeg was too great of a team to do that... Now deal with the consequences.

The way they treated Perfetti is not a great sign for any young forward in the system.
You can't set the precedent of guarantees. Good or bad team. What if next year, now knowing that that's something that can be done, you have 2-3 more prospects that want guaranteed spots - and you don't have them - you have other prospects that need NHL time, contract spots, etc.

It can be manageable if it's only one player, but one will quickly become 4-5. No team can continually guarantee multiple roster spots repeatedly. Let's say you use NYR and trade for Rutger. Now he's like "awesome" - I'm playing in the NHL whether I suck or not. Then you have Perrault who comes in and says "I want guaranteed top 6" or "top line." Is he a good prospect? Absolutely, are you going to tell Panarin to F-off (or whoever else) because of these?

This is just where it starts. It always escalates, and it's never good.

Reactions: Huffer

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Cheve wants a young roster player for him, which guarantees that rebuilding teams wont touch him.

A team like the Habs will never trade someone like Newhook for him. A veteran and a draft choice is the most Hughes is likely to give up.

GMs are not in the business of helping another GM by shooting themselves in the foot. There is only one Blake in the NHL...
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
I mean, he is not wrong. Why would they trade a at worst 45 points winger with speed for a player you don’t even know will get you that.
Because you'd have McGroarty cost controlled for longer and he's shown to have a higher ceiling in the NCAA than Newhook showed in the NCAA. Is it a risk? Of course, but that's the GM's job.

Additionally, I think McGroarty projects better to late season/playoff games since he plays a football style of hockey whereas Newhook is quite a bit softer comparatively speaking

Reactions: MardyBum

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
Because you'd have McGroarty cost controlled for longer and he's shown to have a higher ceiling in the NCAA than Newhook showed in the NCAA. Is it a risk? Of course, but that's the GM's job.

Additionally, I think McGroarty projects better to late season/playoff games since he plays a football style of hockey whereas Newhook is quite a bit softer comparatively speaking
People were pretty bullish on Newhook back when he played in college. Production also got up in the NCAA since then. But mostly my point was it’s not a trade that make sense or something that needs to happen.

jgimp

Sep 18, 2017
Ripley, Ont

You just proved my point that I think he’s an entitled spoiled brat.
I busted my ass through 2 apprentiships. Worked hard, long hours away from my family. I never asked for a thing and just paid attention and did what was asked of me.
That’s what these kids “should” be doing!
Being thankful for the opportunities that only a few get.
If McG thinks he’s proving a point, all he’s doing is hurting his earning potential if he sits the next 2 years. That will kick his post ELC down the road costing him millions and if the rumors from varying sources are true, his attitude isn’t convincing many GMs either.

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
People were pretty bullish on Newhook back when he played in college. Production also got up in the NCAA since then. But mostly my point was it’s not a trade that make sense or something that needs to happen.
My point is that McGroarty has a higher ceiling than Newhook and plays a more projectable playoff style. It would be foolish to say Newhook is untouchable in any trade package

Reactions: 57special

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
My point is that McGroarty has a higher ceiling than Newhook and plays a more projectable playoff style. It would be foolish to say Newhook is untouchable in any trade package
Maybe slightly, not really worth trading a known commodity for a little extra upside.

Bjornar Moxnes

Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark

Jets consistently make the playoffs and if anything the issue with the Jets is they have excellent depth but no standout elite players outside of their goalie. So ironically Rutger would instantly make a playoff team that is more top heavy as opposed to the Jets.

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Jets consistently make the playoffs and if anything the issue with the Jets is they have excellent depth but no standout elite players outside of their goalie. So ironically Rutger would instantly make a playoff team that is more top heavy as opposed to the Jets.
Or the Jets are the epitome of mediocrity. They make the playoffs most years, but are never considered a threat to win the Cup. They constantly overpay for veteran middle of the roster players that no team needs. They have a management group that doesn't understand that the real cup contenders usually are built on developing your drafted and traded for young players into stars. The Jets would rather give that ice time to the dregs of the league like Toffoli and Monahan and Namestnikov and every bang every player you can think of.

And that's their right, but there are also teams that are interested in trading for a player like McGroarty, giving him instant top 9 and PP situations, and seeing if he can develop into one of those players.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Or the Jets are the epitome of mediocrity. They make the playoffs most years, but are never considered a threat to win the Cup. They constantly overpay for veteran middle of the roster players that no team needs. They have a management group that doesn't understand that the real cup contenders usually are built on developing your drafted and traded for young players into stars. The Jets would rather give that ice time to the dregs of the league like Toffoli and Monahan and Namestnikov and every bang every player you can think of.

And that's their right, but there are also teams that are interested in trading for a player like McGroarty, giving him instant top 9 and PP situations, and seeing if he can develop into one of those players.
Winnipeg is arguably the least desirable city in the entire league. It's hard to build a real cup contender when they're on a bunch of NTC lists.

It's easy to throw stones when you've have half your core force their way or take discounts to play for the Rags. You guys would look very different if you didn't have Fox, Panarin, Trouba, and Trocheck. Honestly, that description of the Jets is pretty similar to the Rags. One of just a very desirable team and city to play for, and the other is not.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad