F Rutger McGroarty - WBS Penguins, AHL (2022, 14th, WPG; traded to PIT)

Mad Dog Tannen

Apr 10, 2010
Do you always make definitive decisions about players based on 4 pro games?

Will Smith has 0 points and is -4 in 6 pro games. Bust city.
Great point - I’m not sure Ace was saying anything definitive about Rutger being a bust though. At least I didn’t see it in his post.

Thankfully Will Smith doesn’t have 0 pts in 6 AHL games. The leagues are so different in quality and skill set, I’d hope Will would be able to log a point in that timeframe.

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Why is this the only prospect thread that says "playing in the AHL" lol..
Thread made by @JiggsNY, so either him or a moderator made the switch.

Obviously, it seems a very partisan way to label a thread compared to what is usually pretty universally agreed to be a neutral labeling for prospect threads in this forum. I'm guessing it wasn't Jiggsy.

Reactions: Nogatco Rd

Mad Dog Tannen

Apr 10, 2010
Thread made by @JiggsNY, so either him or a moderator made the switch.

Obviously, it seems a very partisan way to label a thread compared to what is usually pretty universally agreed to be a neutral labeling for prospect threads in this forum. I'm guessing it wasn't Jiggsy.
I actually appreciate the thread title and disagree it’s showing any bias whatsoever. Simply factual. With all the news and rumours swirling about him demanding an nhl roster spot, it’s good to see right in the title that’s not the case.

Dispels any potential misinformation right away and informs the reader he’s not nhl ready/where he’s playing.

Great job @JiggsNY !

• Haha
Reactions: Gurglesons

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Isn’t Smith in the nhl?
Read the first line of the post I responded to:

He’s got 0 points and is a -3 in the AHL. Which is somehow worse than his 0 points and -1 in the NHL.

Hard to imagine anything worse than going pointless and -1 in your very first 3 NHL games. How do you even come back from that?

Last edited:

Mad Dog Tannen

Apr 10, 2010
Read the first line of the post I responded to:

Hard to imagine anything worse than going pointless and -1 in your very first 3 NHL games. How do you even come back from that?
Hmmm. Thanks for the multi quote. Provided some context.

I read that as his AHL stats are somehow worse than his nhl stats - the point being usually you send prospects down to light up the lamp and work on fundamentals of defense. I didn’t read it as a criticism of his 0 pts in the nhl - more so a criticism or curiosity around his lack of success and worse numbers in the AHL.

That being said your point stands in its a sample size of 3 games in each.

His -3 could be a factor more so of his line mates. +\- is always a messy stat to glean from.

I don’t have a dog in the fight but throwing “playing on the all” comes off as a jilted lover.
Could be - hard to say what jiggsny‘s intent was. He’s not a jets or pens fan - so not sure he really has a bias one way or another.

lionsDen

Hated And Proud
Jan 26, 2022
Hmmm. Thanks for the multi quote. Provided some context.

I read that as his AHL stats are somehow worse than his nhl stats - the point being usually you send prospects down to light up the lamp and work on fundamentals of defense. I didn’t read it as a criticism of his 0 pts in the nhl - more so a criticism or curiosity around his lack of success and worse numbers in the AHL.

That being said your point stands in its a sample size of 3 games in each.

His -3 could be a factor more so of his line mates. +\- is always a messy stat to glean from.

Could be - hard to say what jiggsny‘s intent was. He’s not a jets or pens fan - so not sure he really has a bias one way or another.
Like I said it’s clear as day to me. I don’t bother most times to read beyond the name and I clicked last page to see how he was doing. Just my perception, jilted love

Mad Dog Tannen

Apr 10, 2010
Another game and no points for Rutger. Dang. Hopefully soon!!!

That makes it:

NHL: 3 gp, 0 pts, -1
AHL: 4 gp, 0 pts, -3

7 pro games in - goose egg will be busted soon.

Go Rutger!!

Jovavic

Concept of a Plan
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
I don’t have a dog in the fight but throwing “playing on the all” comes off as a jilted lover.
It really is embarrassing, they got even value for him also. It's nothing like Jeff Carter and the Jackets, Columbus gave up the pick that became Couturier and Voracek and it turned into Jack f***ing Johnson not even a season later. Take your win and be glad you got value for someone who didn't want to play for you.

Bjornar Moxnes

Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Yager is playing with future janitors and grocery baggers. McGroarty is playing with pro hockey players (and let’s conveniently forget that he had 6 in 6 preseason games).
You're right, Yager playing with nobodies and still producing at an insane rate is great! /s

In all seriousness, I'm not trying to argue who is better or worse. Likewise the sample size is way too small. However, I'm pointing out that producing at a slightly worse, but still excellent rate is far different than having 0 points so far. Also, AHL players might be pro players, but most won't even come close to enforcers in the NHL.

I do think McGroarty is further ahead currently, but Yager has more potential.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
These people think they’re being funny and witty, but they only serve to validate his point.
What is his point are they validating?

If McGroarty had signed with the Jets he'd be a well-loved prospect by Winnipeg fans and pundits. Why would Jets fans react any other way with a prospect that refused to sign and forced the Jets to trade him? It's a pretty natural reaction for pro sports fans.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
What is his point are they validating?

If McGroarty had signed with the Jets he'd be a well-loved prospect by Winnipeg fans and pundits. Why would Jets fans react any other way with a prospect that refused to sign and forced the Jets to trade him? It's a pretty natural reaction for pro sports fans.

That Jets fans look like bitter exes by continuously bumping this thread to shit on McGroarty.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
If someone dumps you and you keep harping on and on about it and are stalking them after the fact, aren’t you validating that maybe they had a good reason for the decision they made and you are a weirdo?

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

Hey Jets fans here’s your prospect on your team now. Last post in this thread as about a week ago, there are more Jets fans posting in the McGroarty thread than the Yager thread.

Mad Dog Tannen

Apr 10, 2010
That Jets fans look like bitter exes by continuously bumping this thread to shit on McGroarty.
Oh my goodness. When you put it that way, I’m sure you’ve given Jets fans a lot to think about.

Guys - we haven’t stopped to think about Rutgers feelings. And what about how the Jets fan community looks - we look like “bitter exes” somehow and this matters because….ummmm…..huh, why does that matter exactly?

If someone dumps you and you keep harping on and on about it and are stalking them after the fact, aren’t you validating that maybe they had a good reason for the decision they made and you are a weirdo?
lol.

Sure.

Reactions: Thechozen1

Mad Dog Tannen

Apr 10, 2010

Hey Jets fans here’s your prospect on your team now. Last post in this thread as about a week ago, there are more Jets fans posting in the McGroarty thread than the Yager thread.

The Jets fans have a prospect thread on their boards where they talk about their own prospects like Yager. Posts about him just today! Prospect Info: - Jets Prospects

You know - like every single other teams board here on hf?

I view the prospects board as a place to talk about other prospects across the league. With maybe fans of the prospect weighing in to answer questions fans have about prospects. I kinda think yours is a Strange take. Just my opinion tho.

Last edited:

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Are you trying to make an analogy between the reaction of a hockey fan base to a former prospect and an actual interpersonal relationship? That is a really odd comparison.

Mad Dog Tannen

Apr 10, 2010
Are you trying to make an analogy between the reaction of a hockey fan base to a former prospect and an actual interpersonal relationship? That is a really odd comparison.
He either takes his hockey too seriously, is maybe related to Rutger, or is simply trying to diminish or passively insult Jets fans by using an extreme and invalid comparison.

Regardless of which, sounds like he’s got some stuff to sort out.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Totally normal behavior on this website to bump a thread of a prospect of another team every single game he has a bad game.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
...by analogy, does that mean that posters rushing to defend McGroarty are like his new romantic partner?

I don't think it's a good analogy.

I think McGroarty is a good prospect. I also think it's natural for fans to be salty about a prospect that refused to sign and demanded a trade to another team. Every fan base does this when a player decides to go to another team. Look at how Carolina fans react to Guentzel.

Reactions: Mad Dog Tannen

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad