F Rutger McGroarty - Signed by Penguins and playing in the AHL (2022, 14th, WPG; traded to PIT)

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Or the Jets are the epitome of mediocrity. They make the playoffs most years, but are never considered a threat to win the Cup. They constantly overpay for veteran middle of the roster players that no team needs. They have a management group that doesn't understand that the real cup contenders usually are built on developing your drafted and traded for young players into stars. The Jets would rather give that ice time to the dregs of the league like Toffoli and Monahan and Namestnikov and every bang every player you can think of.

And that's their right, but there are also teams that are interested in trading for a player like McGroarty, giving him instant top 9 and PP situations, and seeing if he can develop into one of those players.
Do you hate the Jets because of Trouba?

Jets have drafted and developed most of their top players including Scheifele, Hellebuyck, Connor, Lowry, Morrissey, and Ehlers.

Like many teams that are in co tender mode they had to decide whether to buy or stay put at the deadline. They opted to buy and that did not work out.

Your notion they are a mediocre team is not supported by the regular season results.

They have been poor in the last 3 playoffs though.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
Or the Jets are the epitome of mediocrity. They make the playoffs most years, but are never considered a threat to win the Cup. They constantly overpay for veteran middle of the roster players that no team needs. They have a management group that doesn't understand that the real cup contenders usually are built on developing your drafted and traded for young players into stars. The Jets would rather give that ice time to the dregs of the league like Toffoli and Monahan and Namestnikov and every bang every player you can think of.

And that's their right, but there are also teams that are interested in trading for a player like McGroarty, giving him instant top 9 and PP situations, and seeing if he can develop into one of those players.
Can’t you say the same for New York then?

jgimp

Sep 18, 2017
Ripley, Ont
I love these overreacting takes LOL

Show me where Rutger hurt you :nopity::nopity::nopity::nopity:
He didn’t, I call it as I see it.
I’d say the same about Cutter, Fox, Lindros or any other young turd who thinks that they shouldn’t cut their teeth the same way thousands of youth have had to do, regardless of the trade they are entering.

Last edited:

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
I don't think you'll find an article from Chevy using the terms "burn a year". But whether or not he even got in a game at the end of the season (I think there were only 1 or 2 left after Michigan was eliminated), McGroarty's ELC would have burned a year if he got into a game or not due to the fact he was 20 and after signing it wouldn't have slid. So by Chevy saying he was willing to sign him and turn him pro, is saying he's willing to burn the year.

Basically the notion that the Jets handled this inappropriately is pure BS. They were more than willing to sign him in the spring and burn a year (by him already being 20). The only thing they didn't do is make false promises that he was guaranteed a spot on the NHL roster in 2024-2025.

I don't think you are right about the fact that a college player does not need to play a NHL game to burn a year on his ELC if he signs after 20 years old.

I remember clearly when Montreal signed Charlie Lindgren. He was 23 and still needed to play a game in order to burn a year in his ELC. Montreal was willing to let him do that, that is one of the reasons he chose to sign with them as a college UFA.

I'm pretty sure the player needs to play 9 games or more to burn a year at 18 or 19, then after it is only one game.

Where have you read that the ELC year is burned just by signing after 20?

I don't think it is unreasonable to say McGroarty is already a better player than Newhook and has a much higher ceiling.

No, he's not. Newhook is a small, soft forward that can produce at an alright pace but is easy to play against, not a high bar to clear.
Go see how high Newhook was ranked on HFBoards after his D+2 in BC then come back tell us how not hyped he was... I'll tell you: he was ranked #10 best prospect in all hockey by HF Boards at some point.

Last edited:
Reactions: jfhabs

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
I don't think it is unreasonable to say McGroarty is already a better player than Newhook and has a much higher ceiling.

No, he's not. Newhook is a small, soft forward that can produce at an alright pace but is easy to play against, not a high bar to clear.
Already a better player.... Come on now. That's a 100% unreasonable. Newhook paced for 25+ goals and 50pts last year. In the NHL.

Newhook is not that small, he's just under 6' but quite thick. Similar body type to Suzuki. He's not a physical or though player , but he goes in the traffic. He's not a soft player.

I don't think you've watched a lot of him to come to these conclusions....

What do you think is McGoarty' upside?

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
I don't think you are right about the fact that a college player does not need to play a NHL game to burn a year on his ELC if he signs after 20 years old.

I remember clearly when Montreal signed Charlie Lindgren. He was 23 and still needed to play a game in order to burn a year in his ELC. Montreal was willing to let him do that, that is one of the reasons he chose to sign with them as a college UFA.

I'm pretty sure the player needs to play 9 games or more to burn a year at 18 or 19, then after it is only one game.

Where have you read that the ELC year is burned just by signing after 20?

Go see how high Newhook was ranked on HFBoards after his D+2 in BC then come back tell us how not hyped he was... I'll tell you: he was ranked #10 best prospect in all hockey by HF Boards at some point.
I think you're right about needing one game. The Jets did it with Copp who was a much lesser prospect, so they don't have an issue doing it.

I don't think Cheveldayoff says they wanted to sign him after the season and turn him pro if they're not looking to do that though. If they weren't willing to sign and let him burn a year, they would have just punted it to the summer.

From everything I've read, it looks like the team wanted to sign him in the spring and burn a year but the players camp didn't like the idea that there was a possibility he might have to play in the AHL to start 2024/2025.

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
I think you're right about needing one game. The Jets did it with Copp who was a much lesser prospect, so they don't have an issue doing it.

I don't think Cheveldayoff says they wanted to sign him after the season and turn him pro if they're not looking to do that though. If they weren't willing to sign and let him burn a year, they would have just punted it to the summer.

From everything I've read, it looks like the team wanted to sign him in the spring and burn a year but the players camp didn't like the idea that there was a possibility he might have to play in the AHL to start 2024/2025.
Could be... Or not.

My point is we do not know for sure. Premier college prospects like Hutson, Gauthier, etc. never said they NEED TO BE 100% guaranteed to make the team at camp no matter what. They only want to get the preferred treatment of burning an ELC year, and they need to play a game in order to do so. When they accept to commit to a NHL team, it implies they will play a game to burn a year just after.

My guess from what I read is that McGroarty camp wanted to do that, but Jets only offered them to sign a deal or "turn pro" (basically committing to them) without getting the chance to play and burn a year.

It sometimes happens with lesser american prospects, but most of the higher profile ones want to burn a ELC year in order to accept to "renounce" to their potential UFA status after 4 college years.

I never read anywhere that Winnipeg agreed to give him a NHL game, and my guess is it is where the relationship soured.

I really don't think McGroarty was asking a 100% sure spot on the roster, nor have I read anything of the sort.

It is just speculation at this point, but result for him is that he has not turned pro and burned a year like his friends Gauthier and Hutson, and my guess is that he is pissed about it.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Could be... Or not.

My point is we do not know for sure. Premier college prospects like Hutson, Gauthier, etc. never said they NEED TO BE 100% guaranteed to make the team at camp no matter what. They only want to get the preferred treatment of burning an ELC year, and they need to play a game in order to do so. When they accept to commit to a NHL team, it implies they will play a game to burn a year just after.

My guess from what I read is that McGroarty camp wanted to do that, but Jets only offered them to sign a deal or "turn pro" (basically committing to them) without getting the chance to play and burn a year.

It sometimes happens with lesser american prospects, but most of the higher profile ones want to burn a ELC year in order to accept to "renounce" to their potential UFA status after 4 college years.

I never read anywhere that Winnipeg agreed to give him a NHL game, and my guess is it is where the relationship soured.

I really don't think McGroarty was asking a 100% sure spot on the roster, nor have I read anything of the sort.

It is just speculation at this point, but result for him is that he has not turned pro and burned a year like his friends Gauthier and Hutson, and my guess is that he is pissed about it.
It's come out in numerous articles though that it's all about getting guaranteed NHL playing time. So much so that it's been reported that some trades were close but the other teams backed off because they think the same as the Jets. That you can't promise a NHL spot.

We'll have to disagree because everything I have read, and followed is the Jets were willing to sign last spring (which to me implies burning a year). I know we don't have a quote, but the Jets have not had a problem burning year for a lesser prospect in the past.

It's all about not guaranteeing he's on the NHL roster next year and not the AHL.

wickedwitch

Mar 21, 2010
It's come out in numerous articles though that it's all about getting guaranteed NHL playing time. So much so that it's been reported that some trades were close but the other teams backed off because they think the same as the Jets. That you can't promise a NHL spot.

We'll have to disagree because everything I have read, and followed is the Jets were willing to sign last spring (which to me implies burning a year). I know we don't have a quote, but the Jets have not had a problem burning year for a lesser prospect in the past.

It's all about not guaranteeing he's on the NHL roster next year and not the AHL.
Wasn't one of the rumors the Jets didn't want to burn a year because they weren't sure they'd be able to secure home ice advantage? Which to me is as plausible as the rumors that McGroarty wants guaranteed playing time.

Truth is, we don't know what caused the issue. Both McGroarty's team or the Jets could be leaking stuff in their favor to imply the other is at fault.

Reactions: wetcoast

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Wasn't one of the rumors the Jets didn't want to burn a year because they weren't sure they'd be able to secure home ice advantage? Which to me is as plausible as the rumors that McGroarty wants guaranteed playing time.

Truth is, we don't know what caused the issue. Both McGroarty's team or the Jets could be leaking stuff in their favor to imply the other is at fault.

There were only one or two games left for sure. Not going to say it's not possible, but if getting a game was the difference in keeping the player based on the Jets in the past they have no issue burning the year. But they were playing for home ice that is true.

The idea that McGroarty wants NHL guaranteed time has been reported by multiple sources though, including trades that didn't happen because other teams won't guarantee time either.

Zarzh

Jun 30, 2015
Already a better player.... Come on now. That's a 100% unreasonable. Newhook paced for 25+ goals and 50pts last year. In the NHL.

Newhook is not that small, he's just under 6' but quite thick. Similar body type to Suzuki. He's not a physical or though player , but he goes in the traffic. He's not a soft player.

I don't think you've watched a lot of him to come to these conclusions....

What do you think is McGoarty' upside?
Newhook paced for a point total no one cares about with 3 minutes of power play time a game, he's the type of player every team has and wants to find a major upgrade for.

Rutger is a potential top 6 power forward who can play both special teams and wear a letter. Even if he's a 3rd liner he's infinitely more valuable.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Newhook paced for a point total no one cares about with 3 minutes of power play time a game, he's the type of player every team has and wants to find a major upgrade for.

Rutger is a potential top 6 power forward who can play both special teams and wear a letter. Even if he's a 3rd liner he's infinitely more valuable.
He's a power forward?

Reactions: Alienblood

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
You are looking at the world through Bleu, Blanc, Rouge glasses. McGroarty is worth more than Newhook, who was given all sorts of chances on a CO team desperate for quality depth, and failed to measure up.
“All sort of chance” they traded him after his 21 years old season. He just had his most productive season despite missing 26 games.

I wouldn’t trade Newhook for McGroarty either. FYI, Newhook had a slightly better D+1 and McGroarty a slightly better D+2. Their progression path are pretty comparable

oldwpgjet

Apr 11, 2021
Wowzers, all a guess at this point but looks like a good trade both ways. Pens , I think maybe get the better player but I'm not sure. Brayden Yager looks like a very good complete player prospect as well. Jets solve a problem and get at least close to comparable player back. I like this trade both sides. McGroarty has strike one on him so I expect smooth sailing for him with the Pens.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Wowzers, all a guess at this point but looks like a good trade both ways. Pens , I think maybe get the better player but I'm not sure. Brayden Yager looks like a very good complete player prospect as well. Jets solve a problem and get at least close to comparable player back. I like this trade both sides. McGroarty has strike one on him so I expect smooth sailing for him with the Pens.
Really like McGroarty and think he will be a very good player.

Jets did really well - given the circumstances - to land a good, young C prospect. I liked Yaeger in his draft year. Hope he can add some muscle soon.

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
McGroarty was close to be a Hab IMO. Pure guess, but it looks like Hughes had a trade in place including #21 OA if Micheal Hage wasn't available.

At 23m49:

The Pale King

Go easy on those Mango Giapanes brother...
Sep 24, 2011
Zeballos
"It just doesn't feel right" is what my dude's parents should have thought before they went ahead and named kiddo Rutger Mcgroarty.

He's probably a nice enough guy, and it's not his fault, but that's gotta be the worst hockey name I've ever seen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad