F Rutger McGroarty - Signed by Penguins and playing in the AHL (2022, 14th, WPG; traded to PIT)

Doublechin

Jun 23, 2013
If I'm the Jets, Senators and maybe Utah, I'd really avoid drafting kids from the US collegiate system. This has way too high of a chance of happening to these organizations.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
If I'm the Jets, Senators and maybe Utah, I'd really avoid drafting kids from the US collegiate system. This has way too high of a chance of happening to these organizations.
It just happened to Philadelphia.

Snotbubbles

Oct 25, 2007

And the Flyers.

ETA: Sorry, didn't see others posted the same.

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
This is about the way the Jets operate, not McGroarty.

Everyone sees how they’ve handled Perfetti. Jets fans should be upset with their own management and coaching staff, not other highly touted prospects that don’t want to become the next victim of that.

Besides, what makes anyone think it’ll be different with Scott Arniel? He’s been a top assistant to dinosaurs forever in the NHL. He’s likely going to prefer grinders and middle six veterans over kids. If the Jets are serious about showing McGroarty there’s a spot for him, start clearing out most of Niederreiter, Iafallo, Toffoli, Appleton, Namestnikov, Monahan. Play Perfetti, and show they are serious that they want to make other younger players like McGroarty, Lambert, Barlow a major part of their future.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I wonder when the character assassination begins?

As a Jets fan I have no problem with this kid. He is probably the most charismatic prospect we have drafted in a long time (he was a big hit at the rookie camp with the fans last year).

Not sure what the full details are but if he wants to play somewhere else, or if the org has lost confidence in securing his future, It’s up to our organization to either get him signed, or get him traded, full stop.

We have had, and continue to have our share of diva’s and he’s not one of them IMO.

Now you are correct, there will be a group of fans that will take the position of if you don’t want us then f*** you, but I’m not one of them. In fairness I think a subset of every fan base in the NHL would react the same way to perceived rejection.

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Almost every signal out there has been that his decisions are about wanting to play in the NHL immediately. There has never been a peep about the city of Winnipeg being a problem for him. It sounds like copium to make this about yet another dastardly American college kid that doesn't want to play in Canada.

McGroarty wants to play in the NHL right now. Thats the issue. This was the issue with Gauthier and Philadelphia a year ago. People make these kids into terrible people that hate their cities. In reality, they feel they are NHL players at a certain point and don't really care where that is. If the team that drafts them doesn't think so, they are going to ask for a trade.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Almost every signal out there has been that his decisions are about wanting to play in the NHL immediately. There has never been a peep about the city of Winnipeg being a problem for him. It sounds like copium to make this about yet another dastardly American college kid that doesn't want to play in Canada.

McGroarty wants to play in the NHL right now. Thats the issue. This was the issue with Gauthier and Philadelphia a year ago. People make these kids into terrible people that hate their cities. In reality, they feel they are NHL players at a certain point and don't really care where that is. If the team that drafts them doesn't think so, they are going to ask for a trade.

It can’t be about Canada. He openly talked about wanting to play in Toronto pre draft. So it’s not a Canada thing.

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
It may not be the top FA destination or anything, but Utah isn't going to be a turn off for freshly drafted American college players. Not sure why you'd loop them in with Winnipeg and Ottawa.

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
It can’t be about Canada. He openly talked about wanting to play in Toronto pre draft. So it’s not a Canada thing.
"I want to play in Toronto" and "I'm fine with playing in Canada" are two radically different things.

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
I think Montreal would be a great destination, I could see him step right away in the line-up if he performs well at camp. He could play with former teammate Hutson... Montreal has a nice US national team group with Caufield, Hutson and soon Buium. ;)

I guess a trade around a young D/prospect + Winnipeg getting back their first this year could make sense...

Struble/Harris/Beck/Mailloux/Barron + #26

for

McGroarty

I guess Winnipeg could be interested in reuniting the Barron brothers, who knows.

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
"I want to play in Toronto" and "I'm fine with playing in Canada" are two radically different things.
Rutger's dad is Canadian. Rutger is essentially (or in fact is) a dual citizen. He's gotta be close to the most willing "American" to want to play in Canada. Not comparable to the Clayton Keller types of the hockey world, whose parents and entire families are from the States.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

JiggsNY

Sep 14, 2016
New York
Does read very similar to Gauthier. I gotta say I don't really understand Rutger here. He think's he's ready, but the team cant guarantee a spot. So why not sign the contract and bet on yourself to make the team, you can't just expect a guaranteed spot

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
If I’m any org I avoid it. If it can happen to the flyers it can happen to anyone

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
So a lot like the Cutter Gauthier situation then. That article states it has nothing to do with the city of Winnipeg, the Jets just are very cautious with their prospects and he doesn't seem to agree with their philosophy on that.

Does read very similar to Gauthier. I gotta say I don't really understand Rutger here. He think's he's ready, but the team cant guarantee a spot. So why not sign the contract and bet on yourself to make the team, you can't just expect a guaranteed spot

Yup, seems very much like the Gauthier situation.

The one thing I would say @JiggsNY is I could see how he might not trust getting a fair shake based on some of TNSE’s recent behavior when it comes to prospect usage. The Jets organization has transitioned into a win now to sell tickets phase so I am not sure it’s the best place for a rookie, talented or not. The org seemed to be forthright on this point but if he truly feels he’s ready to go I don’t think taking a risk that Winnipeg will play you is the right choice.

I read the article and Ates is usually pretty solid on these type of things. This was by far my favorite prospect in our pool so I am a little bummed. Oh well, its not like Chevy isn’t use to making deals with a gun to his head so lets see what comes of it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad