F Rudolfs Berzkalns - Bishop Kearney Selects, U14 AAA (2026 Draft)

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s | Rest Easy #13
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com

I thought I had already made this thread haha, wanted to post an update on him after he has had a very impressive U15 WSI, being one of the most dynamic players on his team and one of the best players in the tournament. The Latvians are producing some quite notable kids, and Berzkalns is no exception. He‘s a big kid at his age that isn’t afraid of the front of the net. He is consistently battling in the corners and in front of the net, if he has the time and space to get a shot off within 6‘ of the goalie, he is going to make you pay. He is also a good skater with good offensive instincts. Should be an interesting name to follow moving forward.

Last edited:

clevelandcane

Dec 30, 2011
Ohio
I attended the U14 Nationals and saw a couple of the BK games. I don't remember him sticking out... but that was just two games

Vikz

Dec 26, 2021

Everyday you should learn something new. Today, I learned what is a "USHL tender agreement". A team forfeits a draft choice to be able to sign a 16 year old and guarantees that he will play at least 55% of games next season.
Now, I dont know that much about USHL. I dont know how many 16 year olds usually play in the league, how important is the draft for USHL teams and how common is this tender agreement.
However, I do know that a 16 year old Latvian has probably never played in the USHL previously. And I know that most of the guys mentioned in this article as having signed tender agreement with this team previously went out to become top round picks. The guy looks like another potential top Latvian pick for 2026 draft.

Vikz

Dec 26, 2021
Who is better between him and the other top latvian Olivers Murnieks?
Well, maybe @GermanSpitfire can give any insights. A stat-watching casual like me would never know. Not sure anyone can compare them at this point unless he watched both. They are in completely oposite situations.

One is developing in a semi-pro environment that has never produced a top-level tallent, but shows more promise than enyone ever before, and gets called up to play against men and U-20 national teams.
The other one plays in his age group, but in one of the best development leagues in the world. And does it well enough to earn an early promotion.

Hopefully, soon they will come to a common denominator, when Murnieks continues his development in a top program in Sweden, USA or Canada. Or once they both get called to the main U-18 team. Next year, probably. Then, we compare. Now, just happy to have both.

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s | Rest Easy #13
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
Well, maybe @GermanSpitfire can give any insights. A stat-watching casual like me would never know. Not sure anyone can compare them at this point unless he watched both. They are in completely oposite situations.

One is developing in a semi-pro environment that has never produced a top-level tallent, but shows more promise than enyone ever before, and gets called up to play against men and U-20 national teams.
The other one plays in his age group, but in one of the best development leagues in the world. And does it well enough to earn an early promotion.

Hopefully, soon they will come to a common denominator, when Murnieks continues his development in a top program in Sweden, USA or Canada. Or once they both get called to the main U-18 team. Next year, probably. Then, we compare. Now, just happy to have both.
Both players are extremely talented, there is another Latvian who looks really impressive also for 2026 in Karlis Flugins, so it may be a banner year for the country?

Anyway, to get back on track - from what I’ve seen what Murnieks is doing at his age is crazy. The Optibet hockey league may not be as good as other professional leagues across Europe but for a 14/15 year old kid to more than hold his own against these grown men is ridiculous and him playing down the middle makes me like him that much more.

I hope he doesn’t play in Latvia next year, I’d like to see him in Sweden or Finland to see just how much he stacks up against the best those countries have to offer.

Berzkalns is doing very impressive things in N/A too and may end up the better player being in the better development situation in N/A with a school like BK, but as of now he is a tier behind Murnieks, That’s no slight against Berzkalns I just think that few players Murnieks age think the game like he does.

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
Berzkalns was still playing against U15s when Murnieks was already a tier above and playing in the Latvian U17 league.

There has not been a single Latvian U16 player racking up a PPG in the Latvian league over the last 20 years.

Berzkalns is a definite draft prospect, Murnieks could be a Latvian generational talent.

Reactions: Eye of Ra

ilvins

Apr 6, 2003
Latvia
Visit site
Berzkalns was still playing against U15s when Murnieks was already a tier above and playing in the Latvian U17 league.

There has not been a single Latvian U16 player racking up a PPG in the Latvian league over the last 20 years.

Berzkalns is a definite draft prospect, Murnieks could be a Latvian generational talent.
The only season when they played at the same level was a long time ago, 2019/2020 season when they were 11-12 years old. Their stats in Latvian U13 group were Murnieks 19GP 14G 10 A ,
Berzkalns 20GP 32G 14A.
Next season 2020/2021 they started in U13 group again, bet because of the covid,season was abandoned in Latvia after only few games. Murnieks stats were 4gp 4g 0a, Berzkalns 3gp 6g 4a.
After that Berzkalns moved abroad.
When they played in Latvia , Berzkalns was much better prospect, not even close.

Now it is hard to tell , but Latvian mens league is very weak at the moment , so Murnieks playing there isn't that big of accomplishment.

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
The only season when they played at the same level was a long time ago, 2019/2020 season when they were 11-12 years old. Their stats in Latvian U13 group were Murnieks 19GP 14G 10 A ,
Berzkalns 20GP 32G 14A.
Next season 2020/2021 they started in U13 group again, bet because of the covid,season was abandoned in Latvia after only few games. Murnieks stats were 4gp 4g 0a, Berzkalns 3gp 6g 4a.
After that Berzkalns moved abroad.
When they played in Latvia , Berzkalns was much better prospect, not even close.

Now it is hard to tell , but Latvian mens league is very weak at the moment , so Murnieks playing there isn't that big of accomplishment.
You sound a little biased 😄

See my posts in the Murnieks thread, all of your points are invalid and you're not making any sense.

The last time they played in the same league was actually 2021/22, with Murnieks being one of the lead scorers in the U17s, while Berzkalns had 0 points in 2 games.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $729.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00