F Peter Legostaev - Smiths Falls Bears U18 AAA, HEO U18 (2026 Draft)

CybershadeEDM

Sep 21, 2022

One of the best players on his team last season, he appears to be off to a good start this season as a 14/15 year old on an U18 team. Can someone get any info on him?

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
I don’t like this kids chances at an OHL career let alone NHL. If you’re not playing for Navan Grads in Ottawa, I don’t like your chances. I’ll put it this way. Not one player on this program got drafted into the OHL last year and historically they only have a handful of OHL draft picks. Here’s hoping he bucks that trend…

Reactions: CybershadeEDM

GermanSpitfire

Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
I don’t like this kids chances at an OHL career let alone NHL. If you’re not playing for Navan Grads in Ottawa, I don’t like your chances. I’ll put it this way. Not one player on this program got drafted into the OHL last year and historically they only have a handful of OHL draft picks. Here’s hoping he bucks that trend…
Update:

I was able to catch a game of his. Decent skater, alright size, seems to put himself into good scoring positions.

He should have an OHL career (if he decides to go that route) - and I could see him being drafted semi-early in the OHL draft, he won’t go in the first, or probably not even second round but could be a pick past that.

He certainly looks like he’ll “Buck that trend” past GermanSpitfire.

DrSense

Oct 4, 2017

Very strange comment. The best players to come out of HEO historically (or recently) haven't come from Navan Grads. Last year was simply a situation where two of the top 4 local '06s played for one of the U18 teams. These aren't "European Club" teams developing and nurturing local talent, but rather U18 teams affifilliated with CCHL Junior A clubs that draft prospects in the overall region. Certainly other top 06's who developed locally like Henry Mews or Cole Beaudoin, didn't play for Navan. And neither Cormier or Villeneuve developed their skills for Navan or played more than one year there - they were both Gloucester/Jr 67s players.

And this league and region develop lots of top talent, whether recently (Mason McTavish / Brandt Clark) or historically (Steve Yzerman / Denis Potvin). Its as good a place as any to develop. The fact 4 of the top 11 OHL Draft picks last year were from this development system demonstrates this trend continues.

As to Legostaev, he will just have to work on his skating. It is not elite at the U18 level locally, which is a challenge for him at the next level. He will certainly be drafted in the OHL, but is a bit of a project (he won't play there next year). But his hands, scoring ability and hockey instincts are top notch. Similar skill set to Dean Letourneau who was drafted in the OHL draft last year, but opted US college route. The sort of player that doesn't flash on the ice that often, but when they do, it's often a goal.

Reactions: GermanSpitfire

GermanSpitfire

Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
Very strange comment. The best players to come out of HEO historically (or recently) haven't come from Navan Grads. Last year was simply a situation where two of the top 4 local '06s played for one of the U18 teams. These aren't "European Club" teams developing and nurturing local talent, but rather U18 teams affifilliated with CCHL Junior A clubs that draft prospects in the overall region. Certainly other top 06's who developed locally like Henry Mews or Cole Beaudoin, didn't play for Navan. And neither Cormier or Villeneuve developed their skills for Navan or played more than one year there - they were both Gloucester/Jr 67s players.

And this league and region develop lots of top talent, whether recently (Mason McTavish / Brandt Clark) or historically (Steve Yzerman / Denis Potvin). Its as good a place as any to develop. The fact 4 of the top 11 OHL Draft picks last year were from this development system demonstrates this trend continues.

As to Legostaev, he will just have to work on his skating. It is not elite at the U18 level locally, which is a challenge for him at the next level. He will certainly be drafted in the OHL, but is a bit of a project (he won't play there next year). But his hands, scoring ability and hockey instincts are top notch. Similar skill set to Dean Letourneau who was drafted in the OHL draft last year, but opted US college route. The sort of player that doesn't flash on the ice that often, but when they do, it's often a goal.
Good post.

I personally don’t like the HEO and feel it could be better, since making the league a “U18” league I feel like it has diluted the talent in the Ottawa region and still is basically a glorified U16 league.

DrSense

Oct 4, 2017
Good post.

I personally don’t like the HEO and feel it could be better, since making the league a “U18” league I feel like it has diluted the talent in the Ottawa region and still is basically a glorified U16 league.
Yeah, it's changing next year to get the top U16 players back with their peers. The way it is set up now, I don't think it stifled development in any way, but it is confusing and makes comparables hard. Right now, when HEO squads play other U18 teams at tourneys, they are the only team with 15 year olds on the squad (even though those 15 year olds are very talented). And lots of 16 year old talent in the league (many OHL draft picks), but it is diluted a bit, even though it's a 3 year cohort of players. There really aren't that many 17 year olds in the league, as most top talent go Junior A or OHL by that time, and most of the rest Junior B. This hurts U18 too.

Reactions: GermanSpitfire

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad