F Pavel Novák - Iowa Wild, AHL (2020, 146th, MIN)

Kipper933

Remember the Kipper
Jul 10, 2002
Toronto, ON
Visit site
Surprise omission from McKenzie's list. He finished the season strong too with 24 points in his final 16 games.

He has great puck control in the offensive zone, great ability to maintain control along the boards and in traffic, amongst skates and sticks. He's obviously a dangerous shooter but I think his vision is underrated. Smart with the puck too. All-around, he looks like a strong offensive player.

Reactions: Goodman68

Ryan Van Horne

aka Scribe
Dec 1, 2005
Halifax
I have a question for those who have actually seen Pavel Novak play in the last two seasons. I've been cross-referencing a couple of draft guides that I purchased and I was struck by the stark contrast between two of them with regards to Novak's skating.

Red Line Report raves about his skating and says he is a "speed demon who plays like a ferret hopped up on caffeine" in the quick snapshot. In the in-depth profile they say he's great in all three zones and is "explosive, agile buzzsaw" with great edge-work and the ability to stop/start to gain separation.

Then, I read the Hockey Prospect Black Book (put out by @Mark Edwards) and I wonder if they are talking about the same player because they rate him as a "no-draft." They say his skating is his biggest weakness and that he doesn't have a commitment to defence. They specifically list his skating as "below average" and not just for his size. They give him a 4 out of 9.

Is it possible the scouts for the respective organizations had limited viewings and saw him on different nights? How can two assessments be so far apart?

Who is closer in their assessment of Novak?

Last edited:

KapG

Dec 2, 2008
Toronto
Just had a 3g 1a game last night. Sits at 22g 30a 52p in 38gp.

Statistically having a pretty solid year for Kelowna. How’s he looked out there though? Stats only say so much as we all know.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
He seems to be taking quite a few faceoffs...any chance of him playing C at the pro level or is he destined to play RW?

FourQuarters

Mar 31, 2022
He seems to be taking quite a few faceoffs...any chance of him playing C at the pro level or is he destined to play RW?
He takes some essential draws this season,like, in PP,PK or EN situation because he is one of the best faceoff guys on the team.He did play a few games as a centerman,but I think it was because Colton and flammer had some injuries.He is a responsible leader,whether he changes his position depends on what the team want him to be.Wild's prospect pool is flourishing,I don't think they need to ask him to be a C .

Aug 25, 2009
éal
Very interesting to note he's their go-to guy for important faceoff. Should be an important asset for him if he wants to please his first NHL coach. How is he defensively aside from that?

Do you think it's his last year in the WHL? Technically he could go back but I'm thinking the Wild sign him for Iowa.

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
Very interesting to note he's their go-to guy for important faceoff. Should be an important asset for him if he wants to please his first NHL coach. How is he defensively aside from that?

Do you think it's his last year in the WHL? Technically he could go back but I'm thinking the Wild sign him for Iowa.

100% his last year for z Rockets

Personally would say Flamand is by far their go to FO guy in key moments. But Pavel’s crafty, smart. Don’t know that he’ll do much in the NHL, but who knows? A decent enough prospect.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018

Hope for Iowa.. hope he gets an NHL game in 2 years. I'm a big fan and am really curious if he ever cracks the NHL.

FourQuarters

Mar 31, 2022

As a small size player,his defense is decent.He could kill penalties,prefer to keep the possession patiently rather than finish a shorthand goal chance(btw he also scored some SHG).Personally I put it down to his strong sense of responsibility.
I wish he could stand with Rockets next year,help Cristall in Cristall's draft year.But I know lowa is a better place for his development,especially his skate, cause Rockets is not a speed team.

FourQuarters

Mar 31, 2022
The chemistry between Novak and Colton Dach is so dynamic.They are not on the same line,but always find each other in powerplay or overtime.
Colton Dach won the board battle and feeded Novak for Novak's 27th goal of season tonight.

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad