Confirmed Signing with Link: F Nikolay Goldobin to KHL (two years with CSKA)

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
I posted this on the Canucks board, but I'll repost it here. I don't know how reputable this website is, or their anonymous source, but here's some comments on Goldobin. Not really that shocking from what we've heard in the past:

But a source told Allhockey.ru that Goldobin simply did not fit into the Canucks plans because of disciplinary problems. Allegedly, Goldobin frequently clashed with the Vancouver coaching staff, refusing to take instructions and follow advice. Other than the 2018-19 season, Goldobin spent quite a bit of time in the AHL, both for the San Jose Barracuda (Sharks' affiliate) and the Comets (Canucks' affiliate). The source also went on to say that CSKA coach Igor Nikitin was "not happy" to find out about the signing, because he was aware of Goldobin's history.

Disciplinary issues allegedly led to former first rounder's NHL departure | TradeRumours.com

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Good luck Nikolay.

I thought he had the skill to be top six, but it had to be his defensive play that kept his chances limited. Had he capitalized on some of the magnificent chances he generated a little more often, I think coaches would be a little more willing to have that flaw as a "work in progress".

Reactions: Eegs

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
Too bad he couldn't cut it. He seems like a good kid with lots of talent. I expect he will put together a nice career in the KHL, but won't be back over this way any time soon.

Reactions: El Cohiba

flying v 604

Sep 4, 2014
Talent has never been the issue with him. He seemed fairly dangerous for the Canucks in the offensive zone, but was a complete liability on back checking and defensive play, with no desire to improve.
I really thought he was gonna figure shit out after thriving with petey but he just started regressing as the season went on.
Travis is a demanding head coach and players either play for the most part his way or put up numbers like Brock did and get more slack. Guys like Jake, Brock, AG have all been trending up when it comes to a 200-foot game.
Goldy would thrive under a coach like Keef who has zero defence in his system.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
7 goals about 30 points in just over 60 games for the Canucks in the 18-19 season
I expected him to have a quality season, didn't happened, what did happen, can Canucks fans explain?
- was ppg player for the Comets this season

Always thought he'd do good in the NHL. Guess not...

TheWayToRefJose

Oct 30, 2017
Was pretty stoked when SJ picked him because he had top 6 skill. Was pretty disappointed when they traded him for Hansen too, but I figured they realized he was never going to reach his potential and that’s why they’re pros and we’re not.

Reactions: Frosty415

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Vancouver should avoid Russians. Either they want out like Bure, Chubarov, Koltsov, Tryamkin or they don’t pan out like Krutov, Shirokov and Goldobin etc.

I’m not saying this as a knock against Van, just stating the Russian thing never seems to work for them yet there always seems to be huge hype around the Russian players starting their careers in Vancouver.

Last edited:

Rpenny

Feb 23, 2019
Vancouver should avoid Russians. Either they want out like Bure, Chubarov, Koltsov, Tryamkin or they don’t pan out like Krutov, Shirkov and Goldobin etc.

I’m not saying this as a knock against Van, just stating the Russian thing never seems to work for them yet there always seems to be huge hype around the Russian players starting their careers in Vancouver.

as if the oilers have faired better

Tkachuk4MVP

32 Years of Fail
Apr 15, 2006
San Diego, CA
That Hansen/Goldobin trade caused a lot of Sharks fans to lose their ****. Canucks were right to take a chance on him, but at the time of the trade there were major red flags regarding his all-around game. That said, he’ll probably be able to make a nice career for himself out East.

Grantham

Mar 28, 2017
I feel Green never gave him a proper chance (i know that may not be a popular opinion)...

Seemed like he would get scratched or end up in the doghouse for the smallest mistakes. Like zero leash.

Yet you have Brandon Sutter and Jay Beagle who can do no wrong, yet are terrible defensively and black holes offensively.

If Goldy got treated a bit better and handled smarter, and not feel like he was one mistake away from being benched each and every game, I think we could’ve had a top 6 player.

Sublime puck skills, vision, and distribution ability. Just needed a bit more bite and finish.

Three On Zero

Deranged Oreo Dolphin Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Great offensive toolset but absolutely oblivious in his own end, had he worked on his defensive game he could of been a serviceable middle 6er

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Always really liked what he could do offensively. Watching him play with Pettersson at ES was a lot of fun, you could just see the talent at work as they would weave through the NZ and move through the offensive zone together.

It is too bad about his willingness to buy in, hopefully he matures a bit and decides to come back someday, he is a lot of fun to watch.

Last edited:

Bgav

We Stylin'
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2009
Vancouver
Vancouver should avoid Russians. Either they want out like Bure, Chubarov, Koltsov, Tryamkin or they don’t pan out like Krutov, Shirokov and Goldobin etc.

Pavel Bure is the best canuck ever, I think he worked out just fine. Mogilny and Larionov weren't to shabby either ;)

gianni

Apr 8, 2014

Pavel Bure was a worthy pick; even though he wanted out (due to an alleged contract dispute), the Canucks were able to get Ed Jovanovski for him. Nikita Tryamkin looks like he's planning to come back, hopefully; apparently was home sick after his initial stint. Vasili Podkolzin should be arriving a year from now - hopefully Tryamkin is a part of the team & they can support each other. The rest of Russian players that the Canucks had drafted, I was never really high on. If anything, maybe the Canucks need to scout Russia better.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad