F Matvei Gridin - Muskegon Limberjacks, USHL (2024, 28th, CGY)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
I had Boisvert, highly regarded in Quebec, 20th on my September list.

A player of good size, who plays numerically inferior... if he maintains a production greater than 1 point - it is very qualitative. Probably round 1 on my October list. I just listened to a report, it's quite laudatory.

• Haha
Reactions: SkeeterPumpkinEater

95snipes

Dec 11, 2019
Gridin is a legitimate NHL prospect. He's got it all - 6'1, high skill level, good skater, good hockey sense, good hands, and can score. He's smooth and creates offense every time he touches the puck.

He's a 1st round candidate and should get more attention.

Reactions: BKarchitect

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Gridin is a legitimate NHL prospect. He's got it all - 6'1, high skill level, good skater, good hockey sense, good hands, and can score. He's smooth and creates offense every time he touches the puck.

He's a 1st round candidate and should get more attention.
Thanks for the update! A few years ago he was considered perhaps the top talent from the Russian 06 group. He had a rough transition year last season, statistically - it’s great to see him now starting to blossom. He leads the USHL in points, goals and is only behind a few guys like Hagens and Eiserman in PPG. This is elite, high-end draft pace he’s on right now.

Interestingly - he’s not, from what I can tell, either committed to an NCAA program nor has he been drafted in the CHL. I would assume he’s leaning college route otherwise he would have been taken as a flier by somebody in the last import draft. But looks like all options are open in his post-draft year including jumping to the CHL in next summer import draft or going back to Russia.

Reactions: bopeep

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Thanks for the update! A few years ago he was considered perhaps the top talent from the Russian 06 group. He had a rough transition year last season, statistically - it’s great to see him now starting to blossom. He leads the USHL in points, goals and is only behind a few guys like Hagens and Eiserman in PPG. This is elite, high-end draft pace he’s on right now.

Interestingly - he’s not, from what I can tell, either committed to an NCAA program nor has he been drafted in the CHL. I would assume he’s leaning college route otherwise he would have been taken as a flier by somebody in the last import draft. But looks like all options are open in his post-draft year including jumping to the CHL in next summer import draft or going back to Russia.
Russians are banned from the CHL, or he would probably already be there.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
I had a few college coaches/recruitmen ask me about him. They're trying to figure out if there's an avenue to get him. I don't believe that there is. I don't think that's the direction he wants to go...
Thanks!

I guess if he keeps up his play and gets a high draft consideration - an organization may just drop him into the AHL straight-away post draft, otherwise there definitely may be some waiting if he goes back to Russia on a pro deal.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Judging by his willingness to play in the USHL instead of in Russia, I reckon he would be open to playing in the AHL next year. I am not sure what the Reserve rights looks for a player drafted directly from the USHL that doesn't go NCAA, assuming it's two years then depending on his draft status, the drafting team could sign him to an AHL deal (not an ELC) and preserve the year of ELC, then sign him the following offseason.

Obviously much cleaner to do if the NHL team also owns the AHL affiliate, as there could otherwise be some tension if the NHL club is trying to force an independent affiliate to use one of "their" contract spots on an 18 year old.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
He just announced his commitment to the University of Michigan this morning.

Wow. That’s a big get. He must be settling in nicely in Michigan.

He’s still on pace for a nearly 90 point season in the USHL as a 17 year-old. The news that he will be staying stateside after this season with a certified blue chip prospect NHL player factory in Ann Arbor is certainly not going to hurt his draft stock.

Between him and Boisvert, Connelly, Hage, Pitner and Swanson there are some extremely high end non-USNTDP prospects in the USHL this year.

Last edited:

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
This is a bit surprising, it was long rumored that he wanted to go to UM but I had heard in a few different places that he was going to have a tough time clearing and gaining admission, but happy they seemed to have made it work.

I have yet to see him play, stats look good for a 17 year old draft eligible in the USHL, and has good size. Any thoughts on how he will do as an NCAA player, and beyond?

Last edited:

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
USAH has started to allow non-Americans to play in the All-American Prospects Game, which makes sense as it's essentially a USHL Draft Eligible game, and Gridin is one of those selected.

These prospect games don't really matter but it's always a good move to improve the player quality and allow the other guys in the league to get the opportunity.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad