F Macklin Celebrini - Boston University Terriers, NCAA (2024, 1st, SJS)

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
He's well built. Height has nothing to do with durability. He wasn't getting pushed around out there and shouldn't have any issues.
This his dad is a strength and conditioning coach and if you watched any clips of him training his 2 sons you will see that they are both excellent physical specimens.

Sure he will get out muscled in his first year since he is still a boy and the NHL is a men's league but he won't be like Jack Hughes out there.

Last edited:

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
Really happy for you Shark fans, must be god damn exciting getting Celebrini, finally a top franchise tier first overall player for the Sharks. Well deserved. IMO he is a top tier first overall, maybe not Mcdavid level but he is up there.
In terms of all around player, Celebrini is closer to Bedard than most would like to admit.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I'm wondering if he'll be part of the rich kid factor. That meaning players who are from rich families that will be very good players but not stars due to the many resources they have rather than a talented player that cracks an NHL roster with less resources and turns into a star.

I think Celebrini is going to be good, but not a franchise-changing superstar. I see him being similar to RNH with a similar career.

EDIT: To clarify, if hockey was cheaper and the overpriced programs weren't always a factor in shortening hockey dreams I think we may have seen a lot more better players and perhaps better than Celebrini.

Last edited:

ameselare

Mar 30, 2024
vancouver
I'm wondering if he'll be part of the rich kid factor. That meaning players who are from rich families that will be very good players but not stars due to the many resources they have rather than a talented player that cracks an NHL roster with less resources and turns into a star.

I think Celebrini is going to be good, but not a franchise-changing superstar. I see him being similar to RNH with a similar career.
The vast majority of young(er) star players and recent high draft picks come from rich families

Pete Taylor

Dec 11, 2017

Nuge had a .15 lower PPG, in a much easier league, while being older. Hoping RNH is the absolute floor, but I am obviously biased.

We will see.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica

I question Celebrini's ultimate upside, but he seems to be a humble, hard-working kid so I wouldn't worry about his drive. If he ends up another RNH it may be a little disappointing but that is still a very good player.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area

Genuine question, do you think Bedard, Hughes, Lafreniere, etc. are not from rich families? Hockey is a rich kid’s sport.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Genuine question, do you think Bedard, Hughes, Lafreniere, etc. are not from rich families? Hockey is a rich kid’s sport.

There’s rich enough to afford junior hockey and there’s rich enough to afford high end skills coaches from the time you can skate. Most everyone that makes it is from a well off family but there’s a gradient in that category. I don’t know what Celebrini’s specific case is but lumping everyone whose parents make 6 figs and up into the same category isn’t too useful.

To be fair though Hyman’s dad bought a league and Zach probably takes the most abuse in the NHL, it’s not necessarily a linear thing.

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011

You must be in on the secret that Celebrini’s parents purchased him the Hobey Baker award as a surprise for his 18th birthday.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Celebrini is no Mcdavid but he is going to be better then Nuge ever was, quite sure of that. He is slicker, smarter and goes towards the game in an aggressive manner, he doesn't skirt around it waiting for something to happen.

If people think Nuge is his ceiling they are in for a surprise.

ameselare

Mar 30, 2024
vancouver
I believe Bedard's father owns the logging company. Realistically money is not a problem... smells like a bust to me.
I grew up in the same neighbourhood as Bedard - you are correct that the logging company is owned by the family.

They aren't mega wealthy like other people from this area would be (Kerfoot, Reinhart, Morgan Rielly, etc) but their house is nice. Average detached home for the area. They hosted homestay exchange students (something you get paid to do) but clearly had enough for his mom to be able to move with him to Regina (either she doesn't work or works for the logging company doing the books or something).

I'd say they're probably average in terms of money for North Van which is wealthy compared to most places as the average income is quite high here. The Celebrini family almost certainly has more money but it's not like the Bedards couldn't pay for anything that the Celebrinis would have been able to pay for, for example.
Celebrini and Bedard hail the notoriously mean streets of North Vancouver, real rags to riches story in both cases (lol)
Lol it is definitely not some coincidence that there's lots of young prospects and high draft picks who come from North Van. There's a lot of money here.

Sendhelplease

Dec 21, 2020
Do we know if Celebrini has an ugly girlfriend or not? If he has an ugly girlfriend that could be confidence issues :sarcasm:

BoHorvat 53

What's a god to a Kane
Dec 9, 2014

EDIT: To clarify, if hockey was cheaper and the overpriced programs weren't always a factor in shortening hockey dreams I think we may have seen a lot more better players and perhaps better than Celebrini.

...except his family isn't rich like that - let's put it like this, if Macklin lives up to the hype and becomes the player a lot of people expect him to become, he'll earn more in 1 year during his next contract than his family's current net worth.

I just don't buy that rich kid factor. Look at the Tkachuk brothers for example.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
...except his family isn't rich like that - let's put it like this, if Macklin lives up to the hype and becomes the player a lot of people expect him to become, he'll earn more in 1 year during his next contract than his family's current net worth.

I just don't buy that rich kid factor. Look at the Tkachuk brothers for example.

It doesn’t make them less hard workers or anything, they just come into the league with already polished mechanical skills + pro level diet and training. If you already have most of the competitive advantages that a pro team can offer you growing up, you’re probably going to come into the league closer to a finished product than a kid from some village in Siberia playing with busted hand-me-downs and working out with improvised equipment at home.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad