F Macklin Celebrini - Boston University Terriers, NCAA (2024, 1st, SJS)

ameselare

Mar 30, 2024
vancouver
Funny how no one was saying that about Bedard last year even though the Hawks forward group was even more of a wasteland than the Sharks next year.
Probably because Bedard was hyped as a generational talent, and Macklin is not. More of a precedent of #1 overalls staying in the NCAA for another year as well, although I believe those have all been defensemen so far. I think the Will Smith element that Marek kept bringing up is relevant as well, there was no one like that for Bedard

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
The only reservations that I would have about him in the NHL are injuries and if you think he needs more strength and mass to play his game effectively. He battles all over the ice and is very physical, reminiscent of rookie Ovechkin. I would not want to discourage him from playing that same way, but doing that against men requires a lot of strength that may take more time to develop.
Yup, the only hesitation I have with Mack is that all three of Bedard, Fantilli, and Carlsson had major injuries last year. The NHL is a rough place if you aren’t physically ready for it.

Probably because Bedard was hyped as a generational talent, and Macklin is not. More of a precedent of #1 overalls staying in the NCAA for another year as well, although I believe those have all been defensemen so far. I think the Will Smith element that Marek kept bringing up is relevant as well, there was no one like that for Bedard
Sure, but Celebrini is clearly NHL-ready. It just feels like people trying to neg SJ more than anything.

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
Bedard is a generational offensive talent and that's about it. His play away from the puck, especially on the defensive side, is atrocious.

Celebrini is much more polished/well rounded, and even if his offensive ceiling isn't as high as Bedard's, he will be able to fit in in the NHL rather quickly, and should be fine this year. Sure, his production might be underwhelming due to the teammate quality (as Marek was concerned about), but he's ready for the NHL based on what he did as a 17 year old freshman in the NCAA, there's nothing left for him to prove there (as Friedman may argue).

Last edited:

ameselare

Mar 30, 2024
vancouver
Sure, but Celebrini is clearly NHL-ready. It just feels like people trying to neg SJ more than anything.
I never interpreted it that way (people trying to neg SJ), but I can understand how someone might

Bedard is a generational offense talent and that's about it. His play away from the puck, especially on the defensive side, is atrocious.

Celebrini is much more polished/well rounded, and even if his offensive ceiling isn't as high as Bedard's, he will be able to fit in in the NHL rather quickly, and should be fine this year. Sure, his production might be underwhelming due to the teammate quality (as Marek was concerned about), but he's ready for the NHL based on what he did as a 17 year old freshman in the NCAA, there's nothing left for him to prove there (as Friedman may argue).
I don't disagree with you, I was just stating my thoughts on why I think this is being brought up wrt Celebrini when it wasn't with Bedard

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I never interpreted it that way (people trying to neg SJ), but I can understand how someone might.
It’s certainly possible I’m being overly sensitive and reading too much into it, but people have been negging the Sharks just constantly for the past years no matter what they’ve done. From the Grier hiring to the Meier trade to the Karlsson trade to the general state of the team. Even though all of those moves look pretty damn good now, especially since the lottery balls fell our way.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
I have trouble seeing a super competitive player like Celebrini — who is slated as the future of the Sharks currently — being okay with Will Smith going to the NHL before he does. I just think it’s far more likely that he’ll want to join Smith on this new iteration of the Sharks.

Also, to be fair, next year we have Smith, Granlund, Eklund and Zetterlund to slot into the top 6. Much better than what Chicago had… and Grier has talked about (and I’m sure told Macklin) that he will aggressively be pursuing vet defense and forwards to help with the new kids transitioning.

Marek seems to be entirely ignoring all of this and why I tend to agree with @Juxtaposer when she says the Sharks often feel like they’re being shit on in recent years: pundits seem to entirely ignore context/general state of the team/what management is saying to malign the team.

Sacha BOXviert

GoHawks
Jul 20, 2022
You really don't know why the Sharks are being ignored?
NHL media cares about big markets. Celebrini going to San Jose is a waste of assets for them in the preDraft process.
They will care about the Sharks when they are winners again.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
There's no drama with who San Jose is going to pick, and FWIW Celebrini is a relatively unelectric player for how good he actually is. I don't know if the media has much reason to talk about San Jose right now.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
NHL media cares about big markets. Celebrini going to San Jose is a waste of assets for them in the preDraft process.
There's no drama with who San Jose is going to pick, and FWIW Celebrini is a relatively unelectric player for how good he actually is. I don't know if the media has much reason to talk about San Jose right now.
I wish we were being ignored. What I mean is that big name media have been actively hating on everything the Sharks have done since Grier has been hired.

Reactions: Jargon

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I wish we were being ignored. What I mean is that big name media have been actively hating on everything the Sharks have done since Grier has been hired.

I don't know who you've been listening to. That has not been my impression at all.

I think most media I follow understood the Sharks to be in an awful position a couple years ago where the older assets you'd normally move in a rebuild were all on bad contracts.

The teardown is usually the easy part of a rebuild, but not in this case. Grier has done well with it.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I don't know who you've been listening to. That has not been my impression at all.

I think most media I follow understood the Sharks to be in an awful position a couple years ago where the older assets you'd normally move in a rebuild were all on bad contracts.

The teardown is usually the easy part of a rebuild, but not in this case. Grier has done well with it.
I mean, just off the top of my head guys who have absolutely ripped the Sharks in the last few months are Pierre McGuire, Jimmy Murphy, and Frank Seravalli. Not that any of those guys have more than two brain cells to run together, but the narrative on the Sharks is that they’re blandly incompetent, when this is in fact an obviously designed rebuild. Yes, the Sharks are bad. As planned.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I mean, just off the top of my head guys who have absolutely ripped the Sharks in the last few months are Pierre McGuire, Jimmy Murphy, and Frank Seravalli. Not that any of those guys have more than two brain cells to run together, but the narrative on the Sharks is that they’re blandly incompetent, when this is in fact an obviously designed rebuild. Yes, the Sharks are bad. As planned.

Oh you just listen to the wrong people. Okay solved that.

Try looking for more reasonable commentators.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
You think I’m seeking out their opinions? :eyeroll: Of course not. But all those guys have a big audience, which is why I bring them up.

Seravalli is obviously the sort of commentator that would kick a dog when its down. You're just farming your own outrage if you listen to him and you're a fan of a rebuilding team.

I don't know who Jimmy Murphy is and I don't know what Pierre McGuire is doing these days.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Seravalli is obviously the sort of commentator that would kick a dog when its down. You're just farming your own outrage if you listen to him and you're a fan of a rebuilding team.

I don't know who Jimmy Murphy is and I don't know what Pierre McGuire is doing these days.
Again, I am not listening to them, but they have enough of an audience that the opinion has reached the public eye and influenced a lot of others.

I don’t live in a bubble. Good for you if you do, but I don’t.

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke

Pierre McGuire also said Habs should look at taking Eiserman over Demidov and Lindstrom, cause we need to look at more than just scoring but also sandpaper and grit.

Opposite day sort of opinions out of his mouth these days.

wickedwitch

Mar 21, 2010
I think he's NHL ready, but the comparison between him and Bedard (or between SJ and Chicago) is misleading: Celebrini would be playing in a much better league than Bedard would have. There are players in the NCAA who would make Celebrini's life difficult on the ice, while the same would not be true for Bedard in the WHL.

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
NHL media (70% of which is in Canada) cares about big/cold weather markets that are in Canada and the Northeastern US. The NHL media rarely cares about the Blackhawks when they are middling or bad, they obviously don't care enough about the Red Wings or Wild despite being good hockey markets.

Additionally, what are you considering to be "big market"? If you're going based on population, there are plenty of bigger markets that aren't "hockey markets". But there are plenty of smaller population markets that are big markets when it comes to hockey because they have history and/or are pure hockey markets.

Reactions: StrawHatEklund

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
Celebrini went to dinner with the Sharks at a steak house and ate chicken. Like Bedard (and probably lots of these kids), built different on the nutrition front.

austin63867

Nov 13, 2018
Celebrini is a pretty interesting player. He's a super complete player with high Hockey instinct. Not the most exciting player but has a lot of potential that can make him a consistent player in the pros. I see a two-way mid-six Center based on his current play if he can stay healthy.
IDIOT IDIOT IDIOT IDIOT IDIOT IDIOT

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad