F Lucas Sawchyn - Shattuck St. Mary's, 14U AAA (2025 Draft)

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com

Brother of Seattle Thunderbirds forward Gracyn. Lucas is also a top US talent for his birth year. Really good skater and is an offensive dynamo. He has been known to take over the game and is a treat to watch when he does this. Funnily enough, his WHL rights are owned by the same team as his brothers, so it remains to be seen if he'll go USDP or WHL. Should be interesting nonetheless.

Reactions: Torts

Torts

Aug 21, 2009
Ontario
Though he plays minor hockey in the USA, the steel’s ability to attract let’s say “Canadian” talent away from the CHL is remarkable
They're a very player first organization...so much so they let their players go compete in the U18's in the Spring during USHL playoffs.

Anywho....here's hoping the Chicago Steel --> Michigan pipeline continues haha! Who knows where he'll go next after Chicago.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
So Gracyn we thought was dual, played his U17 season with the USNTDP but then leaves for Seattle and we find out I think essentially that’s he’s not a dual?

Meanwhile we know Lucas isn’t a dual at all, he’s drafted by the same Thunderbirds and he decides to forgo the WHL after a great season at SSM to play in the USHL instead of with his brother in the WHL?

Very interesting. Would probably not be shocking to see him play his U17 in the USHL and then head to Seattle to play with his brother for Gracyn’s final WHL season (19/20 year-old season). I know the T-Birds are gonna get killed with departures this summer but their 05/06/07 group could be ready for another run in 2024/25.

Lucas’ year as a 15 year-old on the 16U SSM team looks fairly similar to Gracyn’s for what it’s worth. So he may be a similar level of prospect.

Last edited:

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
My review of what I've watched from him this season. Has 4+8=12 points in 46 games. Committed to Denver for 2025-26.
Like his brother, his skating is impressive, although not as good. Can really move quickly in small spaces with the puck by slicing and dicing. He’s only 5’9, and I think less skilled than his brother. He’s very skilled, but Gracyn had elite skill. Lucas is more the typical 5’9 high skill, not elite skill, junior player that there are a lot of. If he grows and puts up big totals next year that’ll increase his chances of getting drafted.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad