Speculation: F - Kailer Yamamoto, UFA

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Bit of a stretch, but with the Rangers adding size can't help thinking Yamamoto could fill a Mats Zuccarello role playing for New York. Move would also reunite him with USA U20 teammates Adam Fox and Ryan Lindgren.

He is still just 25 years old and two years removed from a 20-goal season with the Oilers.

Reactions: RangersFan1994

ReggiesLemons

Jul 4, 2013
He is a UFA so his value is what he would sign for. I would imagine somewhere between 750k and 1 million. It's August and he is still without a deal so he isn't getting much. He played for 1.5 last year and was pretty meh for Seattle.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Yamamoto was loved in the room in Edmonton. He got what seemed like a good second opportunity with Seattle being as he's from Spokane, but failed to do anything with it. I do hope the guy finds another shot at the NHL level, although he might not be a full time NHL guy going forward and could be a 2 way contract guy.

Chet Manley

Apr 15, 2007
Regina, SK
Any contract under $1.15m doesn't count on the cap if the player is sent to the AHL. So a 2 way contract only really helps if the NHL salary is over $1.15m.

Rafafouille

May 12, 2015
QC
Any contract under $1.15m doesn't count on the cap if the player is sent to the AHL. So a 2 way contract only really helps if the NHL salary is over $1.15m.

No but a 2 way allows you to give him an AHL salary. If teams don't feel he's worth NHL minimum, they might feel a 300k AHL, NHL minimum 2 way is more reasonable.

McHelpus

Jan 16, 2021
Feel like he goes back to Seattle? Was he that bad for them? He was fine on Edmonton.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
It’s crazy how much he fell off. At 20 he was right around PPG on what was arguably the best line in hockey while they were together (Drai, Nuge, Yamo), and looking like he’d go on to be a perennial 60-70 point guy. Then things didn’t click the next year, but he did bounce back for a 20-21-41 season, which still looked fine for him to be a feisty middle 6 winger who was beloved in the room… then he had 25 points… then 16. Suddenly at 25 he looks like a guy who goes to be a low AAV, high character, guy on a rebuilding team

iago

Apr 2, 2024
Time for him to figure out what his next career will be. He's not good enough to play in anyone's top 6, and too small to be a good option for the bottom 6. Either that, or become a lifetime AHL player.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
No interest from the Kraken. He just did not do nearly enough to warrant an encore.

Reactions: hn777

archangel2

May 19, 2019
Yamamoto was loved in the room in Edmonton. He got what seemed like a good second opportunity with Seattle being as he's from Spokane, but failed to do anything with it. I do hope the guy finds another shot at the NHL level, although he might not be a full time NHL guy going forward and could be a 2 way contract guy.

I can see him getting a 2 way contract

Reactions: ManofSteel55

12ozPapa

Make space for The Papa
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2012
The Seattle/Spokane connection makes no sense to me, am I alone?

Spokane and Seattle are significantly different and also across the state from one another.

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
As a Spokanite, I've been rooting for him but haven't been watching his career too closely. I was super stoked when I saw he was traded to my beloved Red Wings and I thought we could use his tenacity and hands but the ink never dried on that trade before the Wings cut him loose.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
probably find his way to Europe. KHL or the Swiss leaugue. Players like him really need to make up offensively if they don't have the size or height to make it in the NHL. the bare minimum is like Connor Garland who also makes up with physical play for his lack of size, and decent offensive game.

bobbyb2009

Sep 3, 2009
The Seattle/Spokane connection makes no sense to me, am I alone?

Spokane and Seattle are significantly different and also across the state from one another.

I think Edmonton and Calgary are much closer to Spokane than Seattle? Edit- Even Vancouver is closer than Edmonton. At least they are all in the same ballpark. "Hometown" could be any of those teams for him.

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
It’s crazy how much he fell off. At 20 he was right around PPG on what was arguably the best line in hockey while they were together (Drai, Nuge, Yamo), and looking like he’d go on to be a perennial 60-70 point guy. Then things didn’t click the next year, but he did bounce back for a 20-21-41 season, which still looked fine for him to be a feisty middle 6 winger who was beloved in the room… then he had 25 points… then 16. Suddenly at 25 he looks like a guy who goes to be a low AAV, high character, guy on a rebuilding team

Yeah what a strange trajectory. I had to double check that it was the same guy.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
He’ll get a PTO and likely end up signing either an AHL deal this year, or head over to Switzerland. He’d have to have a really good camp to get an NHL contract. The problem is, every team has 2-3 of him already.. Mostly playing in the AHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad