F JP Hurlbert - Dallas Stars Elite, 14U AAA (2026 Draft)

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s | Rest Easy #13
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com

Can’t hold off on this thread any longer. Hurlbert is one of the most promising talents born in Texas, ever he is probably right there with Ethan Garden as my two favourite Americans for the 2008 born crop. He is absolutely destroying his u14 AAA circuit. He has 107goals and 186 points in 71 games. Numbers like that are insane, even without context.

He is a very skilled player, he sees the ice very well and is able to pick up the pace, and slow it down at will with his great skating and deception. Something that you really only see out of Elite talents. He is able to position himself excellently in the offensive zone for scoring chances, and he is able to move the puck around the offensive zone like few players, using his great edgework and lateral mobility to have free reign in the offensive zone at times. Simply put, if the puck is on his stick he will make something happen.

I’m very exited about this kid moving forward.

clevelandcane

Dec 30, 2011
Ohio
I was really looking forward to seeing this kid today as DSEHC played SSM. I have to say, in the two periods I saw I didn't notice this kid one bit. At one point I thought maybe he was hurt and not playing... but then I'd see him out there. I know he was up against it playing SSM, but I was disappointed. Oh well. Just one game.

Reactions: GermanSpitfire

carl jung

Mar 11, 2023
a lot of those stats are inflated…. The youth tier one teams out there will play a lot of lesser talent local teams and scrimmages with high school teams. So, his stats seem a little less crazy with some context

hockey248

Mar 31, 2023
Jung and Cane, you're both wrong. #1 SSM has 8 of the top 50 ranked 2008's in the country on 1 team and to be more specific 7 of the top 24. DSE has 1 Hurlbert. 2. The stats on EP are either verified by EP sanctioned tournaments or by the teams coach and DSE doesn't play "high school" games. If you really watched closely, before the end of the first against SSM the game was out of reach 5-1. If you follow DSE their 1st powerplay never took the ice after 1 I'm guessing because they have to win game 3 to advance to the quarters. I've been following Hurlbert closely since the start of the year. He's had hat tricks in games I've watched against the Eagles, Seacoast, Caesars, Avalanche, River Rats, Reapers, FL Alliance & other lesser teams. At the Florida Exposure Cup he had 18 points in 6 games. Deck was definitely stacked against him/them today.

Reactions: wetcoast

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
Jung and Cane, you're both wrong. #1 SSM has 8 of the top 50 ranked 2008's in the country on 1 team and to be more specific 7 of the top 24. DSE has 1 Hurlbert. 2. The stats on EP are either verified by EP sanctioned tournaments or by the teams coach and DSE doesn't play "high school" games. If you really watched closely, before the end of the first against SSM the game was out of reach 5-1. If you follow DSE their 1st powerplay never took the ice after 1 I'm guessing because they have to win game 3 to advance to the quarters. I've been following Hurlbert closely since the start of the year. He's had hat tricks in games I've watched against the Eagles, Seacoast, Caesars, Avalanche, River Rats, Reapers, FL Alliance & other lesser teams. At the Florida Exposure Cup he had 18 points in 6 games. Deck was definitely stacked against him/them today.
Ok dad. Theres no top 50 rankings for 14 year olds lol. A truly elite player at this age can take control of any game they play in. Also a quick glance at MHR shows they do play a ton of U16 AA teams where the skill is poor. A lot of their games are lopsided scores. Stats mean absolutely nothing at 14U.

hockey248

Mar 31, 2023
Yep no rankings what so ever.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230331_081238_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230331_081238_Chrome.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 26
  • Screenshot_20230331_081233_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230331_081233_Chrome.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 26
  • Screenshot_20230331_081152_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230331_081152_Chrome.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 22
  • Screenshot_20230331_081145_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230331_081145_Chrome.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 25
  • Screenshot_20230331_081134_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230331_081134_Chrome.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 26

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s | Rest Easy #13
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
Ok dad. Theres no top 50 rankings for 14 year olds lol. A truly elite player at this age can take control of any game they play in. Also a quick glance at MHR shows they do play a ton of U16 AA teams where the skill is poor. A lot of their games are lopsided scores. Stats mean absolutely nothing at 14U.
He is a legit talent man. I wouldn’t have made the thread if he wasn’t. One of the best ‘08’s in the US age group.

I would have made this thread if the stats weren’t what they were.

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
He is a legit talent man. I wouldn’t have made the thread if he wasn’t. One of the best ‘08’s in the US age group.

I would have made this thread if the stats weren’t what they were.
I believe you but to stat watch here is pointless unless you are comparing within the same league and competition.

Mathieukferland

Oct 11, 2020
Sloane Square, Chelsea, England
Are you his dad

clevelandcane

Dec 30, 2011
Ohio
I am not wrong. The only thing I said was I was excited about seeing him and then disappointed he was nowhere to be found.

I will say this, I watched SSM play Little Caesars and Garden was not noticeable either.

The main point is that whomever plays SSM will disappear.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
I think he's been one of the 3 best Americans (along with Berchild and Stuart) in the first 2 YOG games. That tournament isn't necessarily the best barometer of who's going to end up a top draft prospect. A lot of the guys who end up being that either don't play in the YOG or don't necessarily light it up if they do. But having it be my first viewings of Hurlbert, he's definitely shown enough for me to be excited about his potential. I've seen nothing to indicate he shouldn't be a heavy contender for the NTDP. Beyond that I don't get too excited about prospects until their U17 season, where the hype is truly tested.

Limited viewings but he kind of reminds me of Will Smith at a younger age. Sneaky skill, offensive minded, but doesn't quite finish plays off as consistently as he probably will in the future.

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Does anyone know if he can play center?

He was playing RW at the YOG. He's a little perimeter, not the biggest, most physical, or most high motor. I can see him only being a winger, but he has great scoring abilities. His shot and playmaking are high-end, he skates well with speed and edges. He has tremendous patience with the puck, and very good hands. If he only ends up a smallish winger, I can still see him being one of the best players at the NTDP for his year.

He and Berchild were dynamite together.

steviey

Jul 5, 2022
Is there a centralized list for commits and transfers that you can recommend?
If you go on reddit, the college hockey sub (r/collegehockey), has a pinned post and in that pinned post there is a full google docs sheet of everyone who is in the portal. Click on the word "portal" in the description, which is hyperlinked to the google doc.

Here is a link to the thread

Last edited:

Bonin21

May 1, 2014
The best source for college hockey recruiting has been Heisenberg for like 20 years. Go here and there is a link to the 2025 page too.

Reactions: BKarchitect

morganpt

Aug 22, 2023
Just watched a draft profile of him that gives some insight into his maturity as there are long interview segments.

He was wearing Michigan gear in many of his non-hockey photos throughout the vid including this one below. I look forward to seeing him in Plymouth next year and at the Yost in a few years to join Valentini, Nyman, Alexander Hage, and Kosick in that draft class.
Screenshot 2024-08-02 at 4.40.26 PM.png

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
Just watched a draft profile of him that gives some insight into his maturity as there are long interview segments.

He was wearing Michigan gear in many of his non-hockey photos throughout the vid including this one below. I look forward to seeing him in Plymouth next year and at the Yost in a few years to join Valentini, Nyman, Alexander Hage, and Kosick in that draft class.View attachment 898835

Someone said his dad is from Michigan, would be surprised if he doesn't go there

Reactions: BKarchitect

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $729.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 2