F Joakim Kemell - Milwaukee Admirals, AHL (2022, 17th, NSH)

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think many people are not viewing this rationally.

Kemell might have a better season than any 2022 draft eligible. He's probably started better than any 2022 draft eligible in Europe. It's too early to tell about the North American guys. Even if he does, that doesn't mean he's 1st overall or 2nd overall. The draft doesn't work that way. It's not about what you accomplish. The draft is about how you project to the NHL.

Kemell has a few things that work against him. He's a winger. He's below 6'0. This is a strong draft with a lot of high-end centers and defensemen. He also is more of a riser in his draft year as opposed to a guy talked about for the top few spots for years prior to the draft. I would be shocked if Kemell is the #2 pick. When you combine all these factors, a team that had a miserable season, and most likely had the worst record in the NHL is probably going to try to sell their fan-base on taking a center or defenseman at #2. Eklund is a player that a lot of these same things applied to as Kemell. He went 7th. The first six picks of that draft were centers or defensemen.

I don't think it's impossible that Kemell goes second. Second isn't decided yet. But he absolutely won't go first. First is decided. Second likely requires that he have a historic type of season, and then the team that drafts second also isn't a team that has decided they are taking a center or defenseman. I think it's more likely his early start to the season has moved him from a potential top 10 pick to a likely top 10 pick with an outside chance of being a top 5 pick. Some people will think that sounds crazy, but I think if you read this post the day after the draft it'll end up being correct. I say that as someone that been a fan of Kemell's game since the YOG, but I don't see how his draft range is rationally what some state it is.

LaMasquerade

Mar 11, 2018
Tampere
While I agree with the basic message from PB above, I just have to say that Eklund was 0.5 PPG player in his draft year, while Kemell would be over PPG (hell, he's closer to GPG) if he continues with this pace.. rare to have 17 year old teen in "50 in 50" considerations ;) .

In 6 rankings that I found, Kemell has been in places 7-15, highest being TSN's Graig Button's 7th place. So he kind of has been quite likely top 10 pick already.

Reactions: Ippenator

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
While I agree with the basic message from PB above, I just have to say that Eklund was 0.5 PPG player in his draft year, while Kemell would be over PPG (hell, he's closer to GPG) if he continues with this pace.. rare to have 17 year old teen in "50 in 50" considerations ;) .

In 6 rankings that I found, Kemell has been in places 7-15, highest being TSN's Graig Button's 7th place. So he kind of has been quite likely top 10 pick already.

I’m not disagreeing, but you have to account for the strength of the two leagues and that Kemell is likely to regress at some point in the season. If he scores over 1PPG over a full season and is putting up better numbers over a full season than players like Barkov and Laine, I think he has a much better chance at going second. I think it’s more likely he scores somewhere between .6-.8 PPG over a full season, which would be great, but I think it requires a truly historic statistical draft season to ignore everything else that is working against Kemell. That still may not be enough. The draft isn’t fair. A player like Lambert may still be ahead of Kemell because NHL teams think he projects to have more future value.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
I think many people are not viewing this rationally.

Kemell might have a better season than any 2022 draft eligible. He's probably started better than any 2022 draft eligible in Europe. It's too early to tell about the North American guys. Even if he does, that doesn't mean he's 1st overall or 2nd overall. The draft doesn't work that way. It's not about what you accomplish. The draft is about how you project to the NHL.
Production's a very strong predictor for how you project to the NHL, though. In the past, drafting purely by it has gone at least equal with NHL scouts who do not only look at production. Some recent examples of purely looking at production outperforming NHL scouts include players like Adam Fox, Alex DeBrincat, Sam Girard etc. from the 2016 draft alone(the most recent draft that can already be evaluated).
Kemell has a few things that work against him. He's a winger. He's below 6'0. This is a strong draft with a lot of high-end centers and defensemen. He also is more of a riser in his draft year as opposed to a guy talked about for the top few spots for years prior to the draft. I would be shocked if Kemell is the #2 pick. When you combine all these factors, a team that had a miserable season, and most likely had the worst record in the NHL is probably going to try to sell their fan-base on taking a center or defenseman at #2. Eklund is a player that a lot of these same things applied to as Kemell. He went 7th. The first six picks of that draft were centers or defensemen.
Oh, so Eklund lead his league in scoring, and singlehandedly carried his team some 10 spots up in rankings? No, he was 0.5 PPG. And this is while being a late birthday. The situation's completely different. I know it's a stronger league but I still can't see this being comparable at all. Comparable to Holtz maybe, who also went 7th.
I don't think it's impossible that Kemell goes second. Second isn't decided yet. But he absolutely won't go first. First is decided. Second likely requires that he have a historic type of season, and then the team that drafts second also isn't a team that has decided they are taking a center or defenseman. I think it's more likely his early start to the season has moved him from a potential top 10 pick to a likely top 10 pick with an outside chance of being a top 5 pick. Some people will think that sounds crazy, but I think if you read this post the day after the draft it'll end up being correct. I say that as someone that been a fan of Kemell's game since the YOG, but I don't see how his draft range is rationally what some state it is.
The third point is that it's not very smart to decide the first overall pick a year before the draft. It will be necessary for Shane Wright to at the very least have a relatively strong season. He himself has quite a bit to prove with the last OHL season essentially not existing.

Kemell already was a likely top pick. He's been a projected first round pick for 3 years. And it's only natural to re-evaluate after his adjustment to Liiga has ended up being more successful than expected. That's why the players are drafted at 18, not 15.

ES

Feb 14, 2004
Finland
Rookie records in Finnish league:
Goals: 33 (Teemu Selänne 1990-91)
Assists: 36 (Teemu Pulkkinen 2010-11)
Points: 58 (Pekka Peltola 1988-89 28+30, Teemu Selänne 1990-91 33+25)

Coach Reggie Dunlop

Jun 9, 2021
Michigan
Not quite sure why people are trying to fan the flames on kennel, I’d agree if his points were secondary assists in liiga or something but they aren’t. All his goals and plays are very projectable at the next level. And he’s 5’11, that’s not really that small for a winger and he’s still only 17 and will likely grow more. I don’t see any reason NOT to project him as the number 2 right now.

Reactions: Ippenator

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Rookie records in Finnish league:
Goals: 33 (Teemu Selänne 1990-91)
Assists: 36 (Teemu Pulkkinen 2010-11)
Points: 58 (Pekka Peltola 1988-89 28+30, Teemu Selänne 1990-91 33+25)
Not really sure what the point of comparing 20yo and 23yo players to a 17yo player is.

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
This guy looks like a stud. Smooth skater, missile of a wrist shot, stocky guy, and over 5'10 at the age of 17. He is also very strong on the puck. I see his game translating to the nhl nicely. I see him as a top 5 pick in this draft class.

newmanager

Feb 5, 2010
He must have improved in leap and bounds since the U18's. I doubt he challenges Wright for first overall and it wouldn't surprise me if he fell out of the top ten. Pretty strong crop this year and NA leagues are just getting started.

Zub

Nov 7, 2015
Helsinki
He must have improved in leap and bounds since the U18's. I doubt he challenges Wright for first overall and it wouldn't surprise me if he fell out of the top ten. Pretty strong crop this year and NA leagues are just getting started.
His production is really nice but the eye test has me doubting he'll go top 3, especially in a draft like this that has alot of talent.

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
His production is really nice but the eye test has me doubting he'll go top 3, especially in a draft like this that has alot of talent.

Which other two players should go over him by your eye test? Just curious.
Right now I would have Connor Geekie up there yoo

Zub

Nov 7, 2015
Helsinki
Which other two players should go over him by your eye test? Just curious.
Right now I would have Connor Geekie up there yoo
Miroshnichenko for one, and i doubt Kemell will keep up his production for long. In the long run if he does go second anyway then i guess it's a weak draft. Despite his production i just don't see a that special of a player in Kemell. Good shooter and can hit/take a hit and decent hands/skating but that's the only exciting parts of the player.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013

Quite honestly to me it sounds as if you picked the wrong set of binoculars. Kemell's overall gameplay - not just the goals - is extremely fascinating and delightful to watch. He has tons of drive and ability to drive the game even if oftentimes he prefers to shoot than look for open lanes (which I think is perfectly fine considering the release). On top of that he's been solid enough at his own zone for the coaches to trust him on PK as well.

I really don't know how much more you could ask from any teenager playing his first season amongst the men. Sure it's not just JYP you seem to dislike? ;)

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
I think it’s really more something about your eyes than about his play. I mean most people seem to see him already pretty special with the eye test. In fact it seems to me that you are the only one here who seems to include words ”but” and ”lucky” to every single thing about his play. I guess you really dislike these shoot first-type of players. :dunno:

Last edited:
Reactions: Nate070

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad