F Ivan Demidov - SKA-1946 St.Petersburg, MHL (2024 draft)

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
I'm hearing he's planning on playing some games in North America next year once his KHL contract ends. There's nothing to not like about this kid.

KHL contracts end the final day of the Gagarin Cup playoffs. So unless SKA misses the playoffs and lets him out of his contract yearly and/or his NHL club goes deep into the playoffs, he isnt playing in the NHL next year.

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
KHL contracts end the final day of the Gagarin Cup playoffs. So unless SKA misses the playoffs and lets him out of his contract yearly and/or his NHL club goes deep into the playoffs, he isnt playing in the NHL next year.
Gagarin Cup Final ends in late April and Semi-Final round wraps up in early-mid April - so if SKA makes it to the Finals - then no, there won't be time for Demidov to get in a few NHL regular season games. However if SKA loses in the Semi-Final round or earlier - then there would be time for Demidov to get into a few regular season games similar to Nazar getting into the last 3 games of the regular season.

Caser

RUSProspects @ gmail. com
May 21, 2013
Riga
twitter.com
Gagarin Cup Final ends in late April and Semi-Final round wraps up in early-mid April - so if SKA makes it to the Finals - then no, there won't be time for Demidov to get in a few NHL regular season games. However if SKA loses in the Semi-Final round or earlier - then there would be time for Demidov to get into a few regular season games similar to Nazar getting into the last 3 games of the regular season.
The new KHL schedule has been published recently, the Final will now end in late May.

Reactions: Mrfenn92

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don

Unlikely. With the new schedule, Demidov’s contract officially ends 25 of May (last game of KHL playoffs).

But if SKA is eliminated early in the playoffs he will need them to terminate his contract early if he is to play in an NHL regular season game (see Sochi and Khusnutdinov).
Next seasons KHL playoffs will start 26 March

Last edited:

Doublechin

Jun 23, 2013
Yep. Lock me in at 2. Happier about the 192 than the half inch short or tall.
If I'm the Hawks I think him if I feel I'm set at RD and top C. Some still think Bedard might be more suited for the wing. A winger will always fall back unless he's on his own tier.

BoHorvat 53

What's a god to a Kane
Dec 9, 2014
Seems like he's still growing, and will get to 6'1 (Maybe even 6'2) - should make the choice for the Blackhawks easier at 2.

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
The new KHL schedule has been published recently, the Final will now end in late May.
OK - I didn't know that. That changes the probability of him getting in any late season games to very unlikely - SKA would have to bow out of the playoffs early and then they may not do him any favors by terminating his contract early.

Musampa

Aug 3, 2015
Yeah, I was more surprised by his weight than his height - happily surprised.

Hopefully KD has been impressed in everything he's seen and calls his name a week from tomorrow.
I think Chicago is going to draft Levshunov and it will be a huge mistake. In best case scenario he will be Provorov 2.0 while Demidov is a future superstar.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
I don't understand why people think Demidov is a bad skater. I remember people called Kaprizov's skating bad. When he came to NA they started to call his skating elite. I'm pretty sure it's going to be the same with Demidov. Especially given he's faster than Kaprizov.

It looks like some people still don't understand that skating isn't all about speed.

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007
I don't understand why people think Demidov is a bad skater.
Do they? I haven't seen much of that, I guess you're right that there's some criticism. What I've seen that I agree with is he's too reliant on his inside edges /mohawk turns and needs to be able to use other kinds of edge work (punch turns, etc) at the highest level of hockey in the world. But that doesn't mean at all that he's a bad skater or can't improve significantly.

Definitely seems like Blackhawks should pick him, I'm actually intrigued to see if he falls to MTL or even UT if they don't. Not because he should, just because ANA has never drafted a Russian in first round, CBJ may be too tempted by the size of Silayev or Lindstrom, and MTL just seems like they might pick another D if Lindstrom is gone (just from what I've read and heard, not from what I think they should do).

Snotbubbles

Oct 25, 2007
I don't understand why people think Demidov is a bad skater. I remember people called Kaprizov's skating bad. When he came to NA they started to call his skating elite. I'm pretty sure it's going to be the same with Demidov. Especially given he's faster than Kaprizov.

It looks like some people still don't understand that skating isn't all about speed.

You say Kaprizov had his skating called "elite." Then you say Demidov is "faster" than Kaprizov. Then you say "skating isn't all about speed." You're all over the place with your analysis.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
How much do you guys think this new info actually matters to teams who were considering, or weren't?
I think it reassures some GM's who are leery of drafting Russians. Them committing to coming over to the USA to this camp indicates their interest in playing in NA, at least a little bit. Throw on top that there is nothing like seeing, and conversing with someone in person as opposed to film .... yeah, it matters.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN

Yup, before he came over there were questions about his size and skating.

Turns out that while he isn't a blazer, he's fast enough, and his other skating skills are elite. Also, while not tall(he's shorter than listed, like many players), he's very thick, and very strong on his skates. Sometimes measurements don't tell the whole story.

Snotbubbles

Oct 25, 2007
His post is perfectly coherent. You need some reading comprehension reps.

Maybe you should re-read the post, seems like you are making assumptions on what was written based off you own perceptions and not the point the poster was trying to make with the evidence they presented.

The poster says, Kaprizov skating was called "bad", but when he got the NHL some started calling it "elite." This sets up Kaprizov as the example of an "elite" skater to use as a comparison to show Demidov's skating is, or could be, "elite."

Then he says that Demidov is "faster than Kaprizov." Thus putting an emphasis on the speed aspect of Demidov's skating compared to Kaprizov. But strangely, he finishes with "skating isn't all about speed," thus negating the usefulness of using Demidov's speed compared to Kaprizov as an example of why Demidov is being underrated as skater. It's an argument against his original point.

That would be like me saying:

I don't understand why people think Alexandra Daddario is not beautiful. I remember people called Megan Fox ugly. When she made Transformers, they started to call her beautiful. I'm pretty sure it's going to be the same with Daddario. Especially given her eyes are bluer than Fox. It looks like some people still don't understand that being beautiful isn't all about how blue your eyes are.

As you can see, it doesn't make sense to use an example of where a person/player is better than another person and then say that the example you just gave doesn't indicate that the person will be as good or better. If you're trying to make the point that Demidov will be an "elite" skater, but then say "skating isn't all about speed," they you need to use other aspects of Demidov's skating to bring your point home, or not say "skating isn't all about speed," otherwise, you're just making a circular argument and it doesn't make much sense.

Hope this lesson in reading comprehension was useful for you.

• Haha
Reactions: Siidekik

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad