F Ivan Demidov - SKA-1946 St.Petersburg, MHL (2024 draft)

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
The fact that he is working hard with his English, is in great shape, and is commited to the NHL I'm not sure how you pass a talent like this at #2. Hawks are in dire need of top 6 forwards to help Bedard out.

Now that most of the questions against Demidov have been answered - is he too small: no, is he committed to play in N.A. after the 2024/25 season: yes. The only remaining "knock" on him is he played in a weak league compared to the CHL/NCAA - so projecting him takes a little more effort than projecting a player from the CHL/NCAA.

Therefore this comes down to or is very close to BPA (Demidov) vs best fit for need (Levshunov). Hopefully KD follows through with what he has stated and picks BPA.

Reactions: Sarava and DemiGod

Aaaarrgghh

Jul 17, 2022
The fact that he is working hard with his English, is in great shape, and is commited to the NHL I'm not sure how you pass a talent like this at #2. Hawks are in dire need of top 6 forwards to help Bedard out.
It's easy to say when your career does not depend on the choice and you are used to only seeing prospects on video. Demidov didn't skate in Florida, so many teams will still not have seen Demidov on ice to a significant degree. Combine that with a potential top-pair RD being available and then Chicago really do have a tough decision to make.

Obviously, I personally hope Demidov falls to Columbus but I am fully expecting him to be gone by #4. However it goes, one team is going to get one hell of a player.

Reactions: Mrfenn92

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Now that most of the questions against Demidov have been answered - is he too small: no, is he committed to play in N.A. after the 2024/25 season: yes. The only remaining "knock" on him is he played in a weak league compared to the CHL/NCAA - so projecting him takes a little more effort than projecting a player from the CHL/NCAA.

Teams will feel uncomfortable that they didn't see him play in person.

But the top teams in the MHL are very good. The MHL is a very unequal league so take the season point totals with a grain of salt, but if you want to watch a game and see how a player performs against a very good team, you can find those matchups.

I watched the MHL playoffs and I thought Loko vs SKA 1946 in the final was possibly at a higher level than any of the memorial cup matchups. I can't know that for sure but the play was very intense and highly skilled. Certainly if a CHL team had players like Surin, But, and Simashev on it we might expect them to be a juggernaut. Well, that is who Demidov was matched up against in the final.

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
Teams will feel uncomfortable that they didn't see him play in person.

But the top teams in the MHL are very good. The MHL is a very unequal league so take the season point totals with a grain of salt, but if you want to watch a game and see how a player performs against a very good team, you can find those matchups.

I watched the MHL playoffs and I thought Loko vs SKA 1946 in the final was possibly at a higher level than any of the memorial cup matchups. I can't know that for sure but the play was very intense and highly skilled. Certainly if a CHL team had players like Surin, But, and Simashev on it we might expect them to be a juggernaut. Well, that is who Demidov was matched up against in the final.

Yep, that was a good series, even though if I remember correctly SKA-1946 swept 4 game to none. And, you're right - some players were loaned from the KHL to play in the MHL playoff games. Surin played well but I don't recall seeing But or Simashev in the MHL games. However I did see those 2 in the KHL playoffs against Kantserov's Magnitka team. It's weird that Loko/Lokomotiv played in and lost both the MHL and KHL championships. Sucks to be them.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Yep, that was a good series, even though if I remember correctly SKA-1946 swept 4 game to none. And, you're right - some players were loaned from the KHL to play in the MHL playoff games. Surin played well but I don't recall seeing But or Simashev in the MHL games. However I did see those 2 in the KHL playoffs against Kantserov's Magnitka team. It's weird that Loko/Lokomotiv played in and lost both the MHL and KHL championships. Sucks to be them.

Loko won the 1st game and SKA-1946 won the next 4.

Simashev and But were in the final game, which Demidov missed (he was injured in game 4). So thanks for making me look that up and correct myself. Demidov did not play them in the finals. I'd argue though that Surin was the most impactful player, he had a lot of head to head shifts with wild battles with Demidov. Surin is a mean unit and Demidov was able to stand up well physically.

I think Surin's defensive ability is very underrated, it should be near the top of this class. And Demidov's ability to play physical is underrated, he can take hits no problem, and lay guys out from time to time.

Reactions: Blueston

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Loko won the 1st game and SKA-1946 won the next 4.

Simashev and But were in the final game, which Demidov missed (he was injured in game 4). So thanks for making me look that up and correct myself. Demidov did not play them in the finals. I'd argue though that Surin was the most impactful player, he had a lot of head to head shifts with wild battles with Demidov. Surin is a mean unit and Demidov was able to stand up well physically.

I think Surin's defensive ability is very underrated, it should be near the top of this class. And Demidov's ability to play physical is underrated, he can take hits no problem, and lay guys out from time to time.

Chelyabinsk team that SKA-1946 played in the semifinal against had 5 or 6 KHLers/VHLers in the series, like Alexander Rykov - Stats, Contract, Salary & More and Artyom Shchuchinov - Stats, Contract, Salary & More It didn't help them a lot.

Reactions: majormajor

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
it will age more poorly than Reinbacher over Michkov
Except Michkov was pretty much a consensus top four (and for most second above Fantilli and Carlsson). Meanwhile, Demidov is all over the place. Some have him second and some have him barely top 10. Reinbacher was a big riser last year. On most lists he started outside the first round and rose all the way to top 5 as the most coveted defenseman in a weak defenseman draft. Someone was going to overdraft a defenseman. Levshunov has been talked about as a top five pick for two seasons, and has done nothing but deliver in a draft where there’s a lot of defenseman competition.

kmwtrucks

Mar 11, 2014
Except Michkov was pretty much a consensus top four (and for most second above Fantilli and Carlsson). Meanwhile, Demidov is all over the place. Some have him second and some have him barely top 10. Reinbacher was a big riser last year. On most lists he started outside the first round and rose all the way to top 5 as the most coveted defenseman in a weak defenseman draft. Someone was going to overdraft a defenseman. Levshunov has been talked about as a top five pick for two seasons, and has done nothing but deliver in a draft where there’s a lot of defenseman competition.
when they do a conssenus Ranking he comes in second.

DemiGod

GoHawks
Jul 20, 2022
It's easy to say when your career does not depend on the choice and you are used to only seeing prospects on video. Demidov didn't skate in Florida, so many teams will still not have seen Demidov on ice to a significant degree. Combine that with a potential top-pair RD being available and then Chicago really do have a tough decision to make.

Obviously, I personally hope Demidov falls to Columbus but I am fully expecting him to be gone by #4. However it goes, one team is going to get one hell of a player.
Watching him play in training doesn't change much either. The important thing is the interviews.

kp61c

Apr 3, 2012
separate civilization
on hfboards he is all over the place, yes.

Attachments

• scrnli_19-06-2024_21-43-38.png
    scrnli_19-06-2024_21-43-38.png
    127.5 KB · Views: 4

razor ray

May 8, 2011

Correct but you can also hit it out of the park as well. If he was in the USHL or OHL I'm sure it would be a slam dunk #1 and #1A for MC and ID.

Guess

Jul 16, 2010
Brossard, QC
One thing we've learned is that HF leans way towards skill whereas NHL teams take into consideration a lot more than that. Demidov is most likely dropping come draft time, if Chicago don't pick him, I don't think Anaheim or Columbus are picking him.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
One thing we've learned is that HF leans way towards skill whereas NHL teams take into consideration a lot more than that. Demidov is most likely dropping come draft time, if Chicago don't pick him, I don't think Anaheim or Columbus are picking him.
Think that has more to do with teams drafting for need more often than people want to admit.

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin
I'm hearing he's planning on playing some games in North America next year once his KHL contract ends. There's nothing to not like about this kid.

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
I'm hearing he's planning on playing some games in North America next year once his KHL contract ends. There's nothing to not like about this kid.
KHL season ends in May. Doubt he steps right in to the playoffs, because I doubt the team that drafts him will be in the playoffs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad