F Ivan Demidov - SKA St. Petersburg, KHL (2024, 5th, MTL)

Favster

Jul 21, 2013
Montreal
Why?! Because everyone seems to want to find something wrong with him before he ever plays an NHL game. Demidov is a great prospect, and scouting has come a long g long way in the last 12 years.

Galchenyuk was a highly rated prospect at the time and a lot of his faults fell back on his dedication to grow with the game. Bouncing around from team to team, it's obvious he has negatives to his game.

Demidov is a different prospect entirely. The only similarity is that they were both drafted by the same team.
This is true but he also had technical flaws. Galchenyuk was a great shooter at Junior level but if you analyze his release, he's got a big tell. Everytime he releases he stops his stride a half second, this is quite similar to the issue A Kostitsyn had. That fraction of a second gives NHL goalies enough time to move to the top of their crease and cut off the angle big time. He also stopped his feet when he attempted to beat opponents 1 on 1, you just can't do that at the top level unless you're McDavid.

These 2 issues with average (at best) skating largely explain why he things didn't work out for him. Well that combined with off ice issues...

Anyways, back to Demidov.

He just seems to think the game on a different level, looking forward to what he'll do against stronger opposition next season.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia

Galchenyuk scouting report: Yakupov’s Sting teammate was on track to potentially challenge him for top spot heading into the season but tore his ACL and played just two games at the end of the year. Our scout says he has NHL size, shooting ability and speed even though the knee injury means he’s likely a year or two away from the NHL. Sure fire top three pick. McKeen’s: “He’s highly cerebral and processes the game at a high pace with the puck... His ability to manufacture offence coupled with his hockey sense and character are all traits that will serve an NHL team well.”

Despite tearing his ACL during the OHL pre-season, Galchenyuk feverishly rehabbed in time to make it back into the Sting lineup before the conclusion of the season, easing concerns about any long-term effects. In full form, Galchenyuk is a dynamic offensive forward who can flat out produce. He is often a very deceptive player and lurks around the ice, always seeming to be around the puck. Galchenyuk has great hands and an even better shot with a pro-calibre release and pin-point accuracy. If he can continue to improve his skating, his style is somewhat comparable to Evgeni Malkin. While Galchneyuk iis still raw in some regards, his ceiling likely is higher than any other player in this draft.

Galchenyuk is a big, play-making center who can skate very well; especially for his size. He has outstanding vision, hockey sense and is a great passer. He’s always very aware of where everyone is and will be on the ice, and he uses that to his advantage. Galchenyuk uses his big body well to create space for himself in the slot and on the boards. He has a very underrated shot, exceptional release and is very accurate. He can not only produce offensively night-in night-out, but he’s also very good defensively and understands that taking care of things in his own end is as important as producing at the other end of the ice. He also has outstanding hands and can often be found stick-handling in phone booths.

WeaknessesThere’s not much Galchenyuk can’t do, but one area he could improve on is his physical game. He has the body frame to be a physical player, but at this point in his career it’s just not his style. He can be an exceptional player without delivering bone crushing hits regularly, but given his size he could certainly be a little meaner.

Career Projection First line (#1) Center – Galchenyuk is smart, big, talented, and he can skate. He is good in all aspects of the game and there really isn’t much he isn’t capable of doing. Given his size, smarts and skill he projects to be a very good first line center in the NHL for a long, long time. Had he been healthy the entire season, or even half, he would be a legitimate candidate to be drafted with the 1st overall pick.

I Put in bold all the takes that have aged poorly , just making a point that no prospect is immune to busting, they even talk about how he has great character :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Shall I continue? :sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm:

Stop being a homer!! <33

Galchenyuk still had lower PPG in his D+1 season than Demidov had in his D season despite the obvious fact that OHL was the higher scoring league than MHL. The second best scorer on SKA was slightly above PPG while one of Galchenyuk's teammates scored 108 points in 68 games. Demidov led his team in scoring despite playing 15-25 fewer games than other kids...

Last edited:

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Go read the scouting reports on Galchenyuk prior to the draft - there’s still plenty of them all over the internet.

He was described as excellent defensively, a powerful explosive skater, elite vision, hands, passing, IQ, and shot. He played both C and W.

Does that sound at all like the player he turned out to be? You’re here trying to retcon the narrative for whatever reason. Like I said, hindsight is 20/20; he was viewed much different back then.

When Habs fans are in here saying that it would be a disappointment if Demidov turned out similar to Barzal, offering counter points or telling people to pump the brakes a little bit is more than fair.
We often disagree, but this take I can get on board with. FWIW, I was hoping Galchenyuk could turn into Kopitar at the time.

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
Galchenyuk still had lower PPG in his D+1 season than Demidov had in his D season despite the obvious fact that OHL was the higher scoring league than MHL. The second best scorer on SKA was slightly above PPG while one of Galchenyuk's teammates scored 108 points in 68 games. Demidov led his team in scoring despite playing 15-25 fewer games than other kids...
I don't think they are similar prospects at all , I was just replying to the other poster who was talking about Galchenyuk like he was some scrub prospect that a mastermind with a huge brain like Kent Hughes would never dare to pick

Bombshell11

Sponsor
Jul 21, 2022
Anyways, back to Demidov.

He just seems to think the game on a different level, looking forward to what he'll do against stronger opposition next season.

On a generational level?

Yesssir

And he doesn't "seem" to think the game on a different level.... he does think the game on a different level. Not sure why some of "habs fans" are so pessimistic when they should be more optimistic and when they need to be pessmistic they're all-in pumping the tires of underserving players.

Maybe thats why we have a bad rep afterall

Last edited:
Reactions: HabzSauce

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
what is your comment supposed to mean? He responded by saying some habs fans are pessimistic for no reason which is exactly the point of my post also.
We arent pessimistic for no reason , teams been garbage for 30 years , bottom 3 on ice product in the entire league.

Maybe we can let demidov do his thing first instead of claiming generational , I know its one poster but its absolutely ridiculous. Deserves to get flamed.

My point is people might be "down playing" right now because theres a poster making ridiculous claims and wont shut up about it.
Exactly , everybody is extremely high on Demidov in habs land , rightfully so , there's levels to this though let's not lose our heads

Bombshell11

Sponsor
Jul 21, 2022
My point is people might be "down playing" right now because theres a poster making ridiculous claims and wont shut up about it.

Theres a poster on this page who said Demi thinks the game on another level... whats a level above top 3 OA? Is it not generational? Why dint you get offended about that post? Hes been posting way more than me.

Damn you guys have used and abused the word generational for your own prospects the last 20 years and we dint even say a word. Now that we get a hand on a potential underestimated superstar / aka generational you've ptsded some of our frail "alledged" fans to turn on us for your benefit.

I call this bs

Bombshell11

Sponsor
Jul 21, 2022
We arent pessimistic for no reason , teams been garbage for 30 years , bottom 3 on ice product in the entire league.

Maybe we can let demidov do his thing first instead of claiming generational , I know its one poster but its absolutely ridiculous. Deserves to get flamed.

Exactly , everybody is extremely high on Demidov in habs land , rightfully so , there's levels to this though let's not lose our heads

on a scale of 1.00 to 10.00, ten being generational Crosby level and 1 is John Scott, where would you rate Bedard and Demidov in terms of potential taking their whole body of work not just their strenghs into consideration?

Demi for me is a 9.3 and Bedard for comparison would be 8.6

Drew4u

Jul 22, 2016
Wait so I'm also really confused too. The 2023 was much stronger than the 2024 draft. Michkov was a better prospect than Demidov at the time. Your own team picked Reinbacher over Michkov at 5th overall. That means that your team would value Rein over Demidov. One of them is projected to be a top 4 defencemen the other one is a superstar ???

Looool.

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
on a scale of 1.00 to 10.00, ten being generational Crosby level and 1 is John Scott, where would you rate Bedard and Demidov in terms of potential taking their whole body of work not just their strenghs into consideration?

Demi for me is a 9.3 and Bedard for comparison would be 8.6
Expected to be better than Bedard ; and just under Crosby ; Right .

• Haha
Reactions: MoneyManny

Nico Cauzuki

Jul 19, 2009
King Of The North
Wait so I'm also really confused too. The 2023 was much stronger than the 2024 draft. Michkov was a better prospect than Demidov at the time. Your own team picked Reinbacher over Michkov at 5th overall. That means that your team would value Rein over Demidov. One of them is projected to be a top 4 defencemen the other one is a superstar ???

Looool.
Not sure on the reasons but our management always valued Demidov over Michkov they dont say names but you can clearly tell they were talking about those 2 in last years draft video Bobrov is very connected to SKA maybe he knows something we dont idk but they prefer Ivan

Reactions: malcb33

TheKrebsCycle

Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
Not sure on the reasons but our management always valued Demidov over Michkov they dont say names but you can clearly tell they were talking about those 2 in last years draft video Bobrov is very connected to SKA maybe he knows something we dont idk but they prefer Ivan
How would the management know where they’d be picking a year out ? It’s fine and dandy to like Demidov , but this is silly. Could’ve easily got neither which would have been a huge whiff

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
It wasn't talent that hurt Galchy future, it was the trash between his ears.

He should of been a 80 point player on top of his game...instead of a KLH recycled rump roast.

Ver unlikely Demidov follows the same destructive path, but, NOBODY can guarantee what a 18 year old will do in 7 years.

TheKrebsCycle

Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
It wasn't talent that hurt Galchy future, it was the trash between his ears.

He should of been a 80 point player on top of his game...instead of a KLH recycled rump roast.

Ver unlikely Demidov follows the same destructive path, but, NOBODY can guarantee what a 18 year old will do in 7 years.
Skating and hockey sense seemed his biggest limitations imo .

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Theres a poster on this page who said Demi thinks the game on another level... whats a level above top 3 OA? Is it not generational? Why dint you get offended about that post? Hes been posting way more than me.

Damn you guys have used and abused the word generational for your own prospects the last 20 years and we dint even say a word. Now that we get a hand on a potential underestimated superstar / aka generational you've ptsded some of our frail "alledged" fans to turn on us for your benefit.

I call this bs
Yeah bro, show me abusing the word generation 🤣

I've never seen you on this board until in this thread. Go back to the Bedard thread and you'll likely find posts about me saying I don't think he will be generational. People were makin ridiculous claims he was already a better goal scorer than Matthews and shit and I would call them out on it 😂

Youre basically sayin Demidov will be a better play maker than someone like Kucherov and that is just straight up laughable.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Reactions: Anardil

Nico Cauzuki

Jul 19, 2009
King Of The North
How would the management know where they’d be picking a year out ? It’s fine and dandy to like Demidov , but this is silly. Could’ve easily got neither which would have been a huge whiff
thats a big risk they took but like i said in our draft video you clearly hear them talk about both and them saying they prefer Demidov to Michkov

Bombshell11

Sponsor
Jul 21, 2022
Yeah bro, show me abusing the word generation 🤣

I've never seen you on this board until in this thread. Go back to the Bedard thread and you'll likely find posts about me saying I don't think he will be generational. People were makin ridiculous claims he was already a better goal scorer than Matthews and shit and I would call them out on it 😂

Youre basically sayin Demidov will be a better play maker than someone like Kucherov and that is just straight up laughable.

I Consider Kucherov to have reached Gen status

Yeah i guess you missed the whole premise of my claim. It was based on Bedard fake claim of generational status.

Sure we both were on the same boat then calling out folks who claimed bedard was one.

Demidov does have generational skills though and if we were to expand the definition like we did for so many prospects he would fit in easely imo

TheKrebsCycle

Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
I Consider Kucherov to have reached Gen status

Yeah i guess you missed the whole premise of my claim. It was based on Bedard fake claim of generational status.

Sure we both were on the same boat then calling out folks who claimed bedard was one.

Demidov does have generational skills though and if we were to expand the definition like we did for so many prospects he would fit in easely imo
Who are all these prospects that have been worthy of the generational discussion ? Seems like only a handful and certainly few if any that went 5 th In a so so draft .

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $729.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00