F Ivan Demidov - SKA St. Petersburg, KHL (2024, 5th, MTL)

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
Demidov went 5 th , Barzal 16 th . It’s not the same at all . There was no consensus at in the top 5 ; other teams just found other options more enticing . Also if he ends up Barzal ish career wise seems like many in the thread would be disappointed by that outcome
1. The 2015 draft was pretty deep

2. I wouldn't throw Barzal under the bus for Boston's three very bad picks in a row.

Reactions: ForsbergForever

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
1. The 2015 draft was pretty deep

2. I wouldn't throw Barzal under the bus for Boston's three very bad picks in a row.
I understand that but my point was it wasn’t the same kind of drop . And yah Boston had pics all around ( Kyle Connor too curiously dropped )

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Believe it or not, many people, pro scouts included, said this same thing almost verbatim about Alex Galchenyuk when he was in juniors.

The point is that this is called counting your chickens before they hatch, and it’s always done by overzealous fans.

Is he strong defensively now? No. That’s what we have to go on, along with the fact that strong defensive play isn’t his game to begin with, being that he’s an offensive winger.
Post is worthless when you use a player with no hockey sense as a comparison. Demidov has very good hockey sense.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
What the hell are you talking about? And MB was a moron. Hughes is not. If they picked Demidov he has all the skills needed to succeed.
Go read the scouting reports on Galchenyuk prior to the draft - there’s still plenty of them all over the internet.

He was described as excellent defensively, a powerful explosive skater, elite vision, hands, passing, IQ, and shot. He played both C and W.

Does that sound at all like the player he turned out to be? You’re here trying to retcon the narrative for whatever reason. Like I said, hindsight is 20/20; he was viewed much different back then.

When Habs fans are in here saying that it would be a disappointment if Demidov turned out similar to Barzal, offering counter points or telling people to pump the brakes a little bit is more than fair.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
"Alex Galchenyuk is an offensive forward with a strong scoring touch. Possesses quick hands with excellent puck control and can outplay defenseman in tight space. Galchenyuk isn’t flashy, but a powerful skater with tremendous edge work, as he can glide through the offensive zone like on rails and combined with his marvelous puck skills he can get himself into the scoring area. Needs to improve his play without the puck, as he’s better suited on the wing, instead the center-position. Has good size and is not afraid to play physical. Owns a very good shot and tends to shoot at sight, which makes Galchenyuk a dangerous Power Play-forward".

Nothing like Demidov, I'd say. Demidov is flashy (to say the least) and has great IQ which never was the strongest part of Galchenyuk's talent...
Lol, that scouting report is from February 2016. Makes sense why you didn’t include the source. That’s just a little disingenuous of you, no? Nice try. He was viewed much differently as a prospect, and his vision, IQ, and passing was lauded. Like I said, hindsight is 20/20.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Go read the scouting reports on Galchenyuk prior to the draft - there’s still plenty of them all over the internet.

He was described as excellent defensively, a powerful explosive skater, elite vision, hands, passing, IQ, and shot. He played both C and W.

Does that sound at all like the player he turned out to be? You’re here trying to retcon the narrative for whatever reason. Like I said, hindsight is 20/20; he was viewed much different back then.

When Habs fans are in here saying that it would be a disappointment if Demidov turned out similar to Barzal, offering counter points or telling people to pump the brakes a little bit is more than fair.
There are no scouting reports on the internet that can find.

The Last Red

Jan 2, 2022
Matt Barzal is an excellent hockey player. His linemates for the majority of his career have not been such. Demidov will play with some combination of Slaf, Suzuki, Caufield, Dach, etc. Not too worried.

Last edited:

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Lol, that scouting report is from February 2016. Makes sense why you didn’t include the source. That’s just a little disingenuous of you, no? Nice try. He was viewed much differently as a prospect, and his vision, IQ, and passing was lauded. Like I said, hindsight is 20/20.

I think the date is a mistake because there wasn't a point to post a scout report for a player in his 4th NHL season.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
I think the date is a mistake because there wasn't a point to post a scout report for a player in his 4th NHL season.
It’s not a mistake lol. Sites used to have scouting reports/player profiles for NHL players. ESPN/TSN used to have them for every active player in the league. For whatever reason, most sites don’t seem to do them anymore.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal

I love this post . We have been an offensive laughing stock for like 3 decades and posters are coming in here talking about Demidov will score 100 points , brother if he scores 80 he's the best skater the team has had in 20 years :laugh::laugh::laugh: Can we not count our eggs before they hatch please.

Even if this kid becomes a 70 point player ill be ecstatic

Your point on Galchenyuk is so right , Chucky had all the tools and was expected to become a ppg C when drafted. The fact some homer posters are scoffing at you talking about Galchenyuk like its some blasphemy and Demidov is a sure thing is hilarious. Pure homerism

TheKrebsCycle

Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
I love this post . We have been an offensive laughing stock for like 3 decades and posters are coming in here talking about Demidov will score 100 points , brother if he scores 80 he's the best skater the team has had in 20 years :laugh::laugh::laugh: Can we not count our eggs before they hatch please.

Your point on Galchenyuk is so right , Chucky had all the tools and was expected to become a ppg C when drafted. The fact some homer posters are scoffing at you talking about Galchenyuk like its some blasphemy and Demidov is a sure thing is hilarious. Pure homerism
Your rationality is refreshing in this thread

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
There are no scouting reports on the internet that can find.

Galchenyuk scouting report: Yakupov’s Sting teammate was on track to potentially challenge him for top spot heading into the season but tore his ACL and played just two games at the end of the year. Our scout says he has NHL size, shooting ability and speed even though the knee injury means he’s likely a year or two away from the NHL. Sure fire top three pick. McKeen’s: “He’s highly cerebral and processes the game at a high pace with the puck... His ability to manufacture offence coupled with his hockey sense and character are all traits that will serve an NHL team well.”

Despite tearing his ACL during the OHL pre-season, Galchenyuk feverishly rehabbed in time to make it back into the Sting lineup before the conclusion of the season, easing concerns about any long-term effects. In full form, Galchenyuk is a dynamic offensive forward who can flat out produce. He is often a very deceptive player and lurks around the ice, always seeming to be around the puck. Galchenyuk has great hands and an even better shot with a pro-calibre release and pin-point accuracy. If he can continue to improve his skating, his style is somewhat comparable to Evgeni Malkin. While Galchneyuk iis still raw in some regards, his ceiling likely is higher than any other player in this draft.

Galchenyuk is a big, play-making center who can skate very well; especially for his size. He has outstanding vision, hockey sense and is a great passer. He’s always very aware of where everyone is and will be on the ice, and he uses that to his advantage. Galchenyuk uses his big body well to create space for himself in the slot and on the boards. He has a very underrated shot, exceptional release and is very accurate. He can not only produce offensively night-in night-out, but he’s also very good defensively and understands that taking care of things in his own end is as important as producing at the other end of the ice. He also has outstanding hands and can often be found stick-handling in phone booths.

WeaknessesThere’s not much Galchenyuk can’t do, but one area he could improve on is his physical game. He has the body frame to be a physical player, but at this point in his career it’s just not his style. He can be an exceptional player without delivering bone crushing hits regularly, but given his size he could certainly be a little meaner.

Career Projection First line (#1) Center – Galchenyuk is smart, big, talented, and he can skate. He is good in all aspects of the game and there really isn’t much he isn’t capable of doing. Given his size, smarts and skill he projects to be a very good first line center in the NHL for a long, long time. Had he been healthy the entire season, or even half, he would be a legitimate candidate to be drafted with the 1st overall pick.

I Put in bold all the takes that have aged poorly , just making a point that no prospect is immune to busting, they even talk about how he has great character :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Shall I continue? :sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm:

Stop being a homer!! <33

jfhabs

May 21, 2015

Blasphemy no, but there are pretty significant reasons to think it might not be the most accurate comparable. Most players selected in the top 5 do not bust, so using a bust as a comparable is disingenuous in the first place for a player that was just drafted a month ago.

All of that with abstraction to Galchenyuk's off ice issues which were a big part of his failure(s). It's very difficult to predict off ice issue, even for people in the know. Nothing points to that in Demidov's case so far.

Homerism is calling him a generational talent. If that was true, he was going 1st overall since even Celibrini isn't perceived as a generational talent.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
Blasphemy no, but there are pretty significant reasons to think it might not be the most accurate comparable. Most players selected in the top 5 do not bust, so using a bust as a comparable is disingenuous in the first place for a player that was just drafted a month ago.

All of that with abstraction to Galchenyuk's off ice issues which were a big part of his failure(s). It's very difficult to predict off ice issue, even for people in the know. Nothing points to that in Demidov's case so far.

Homerism is calling him a generational talent. If that was true, he was going 1st overall since even Celibrini isn't perceived as a generational talent.
I agree but as you can see from my post above Galchenyuks hockey iQ and Character were never in question before he was drafted.......I'm just saying , as you said , very difficult to predict these sorts of things , I'm super high on Demidov don't get me wrong.

Reactions: jfhabs

TheKrebsCycle

Jun 1, 2011
Barrie

Galchenyuk scouting report: Yakupov’s Sting teammate was on track to potentially challenge him for top spot heading into the season but tore his ACL and played just two games at the end of the year. Our scout says he has NHL size, shooting ability and speed even though the knee injury means he’s likely a year or two away from the NHL. Sure fire top three pick. McKeen’s: “He’s highly cerebral and processes the game at a high pace with the puck... His ability to manufacture offence coupled with his hockey sense and character are all traits that will serve an NHL team well.”

Despite tearing his ACL during the OHL pre-season, Galchenyuk feverishly rehabbed in time to make it back into the Sting lineup before the conclusion of the season, easing concerns about any long-term effects. In full form, Galchenyuk is a dynamic offensive forward who can flat out produce. He is often a very deceptive player and lurks around the ice, always seeming to be around the puck. Galchenyuk has great hands and an even better shot with a pro-calibre release and pin-point accuracy. If he can continue to improve his skating, his style is somewhat comparable to Evgeni Malkin. While Galchneyuk iis still raw in some regards, his ceiling likely is higher than any other player in this draft.

Galchenyuk is a big, play-making center who can skate very well; especially for his size. He has outstanding vision, hockey sense and is a great passer. He’s always very aware of where everyone is and will be on the ice, and he uses that to his advantage. Galchenyuk uses his big body well to create space for himself in the slot and on the boards. He has a very underrated shot, exceptional release and is very accurate. He can not only produce offensively night-in night-out, but he’s also very good defensively and understands that taking care of things in his own end is as important as producing at the other end of the ice. He also has outstanding hands and can often be found stick-handling in phone booths.

WeaknessesThere’s not much Galchenyuk can’t do, but one area he could improve on is his physical game. He has the body frame to be a physical player, but at this point in his career it’s just not his style. He can be an exceptional player without delivering bone crushing hits regularly, but given his size he could certainly be a little meaner.

Career Projection First line (#1) Center – Galchenyuk is smart, big, talented, and he can skate. He is good in all aspects of the game and there really isn’t much he isn’t capable of doing. Given his size, smarts and skill he projects to be a very good first line center in the NHL for a long, long time. Had he been healthy the entire season, or even half, he would be a legitimate candidate to be drafted with the 1st overall pick.

I Put in bold all the takes that have aged poorly , just making a point that no prospect is immune to busting, they even talk about how he has great character :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Shall I continue? :sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm:

Stop being a homer!! <33
That is a solid amalgamation.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
I agree but as you can see from my post above Galchenyuks hockey iQ and Character were never in question before he was drafted.......I'm just saying , as you said , very difficult to predict these sorts of things , I'm super high on Demidov don't get me wrong.
Ok, I just read some of the previous posts too. Yeah, it's not a bad thing that they have similar scouting reports, both were perceived very well. I still think it's disingenuous for the guy using Galchenyuk since he busted. Specially since it wasn't a lack of ability. Heck, we can also compare him to Drouin while we're at it :laugh:

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Ok, I just read some of the previous posts too. Yeah, it's not a bad thing that they have similar scouting reports, both were perceived very well. I still think it's disingenuous for the guy using Galchenyuk since he busted. Specially since it wasn't a lack of ability. Heck, we can also compare him to Drouin while we're at it :laugh:
I think the point is we really have no idea how Demidov will turn out. Galchenyuk was seen as a can't miss center prospect in 2012, with a lot of the same high end offensive tools that make Demidov special (while being bigger and faster).

There's a good chance he would have been drafted ahead of Demidov if he were eligible this year (especially if he had a healthy draft year). I'd have a hard time seeing him fall past 3 honestly.

Reactions: GrandBison

GrandBison

Jul 1, 2019
If you ask me , I think scouting reports have gone a long way , people aren't calling every top 5 pick sure fire first liners anymore. Galchenyuk was a great prospect but even those reports are a little bit over the top in my opinion
Galchenyuk case shows that very few players could still be at the top without being 100% dedicated to their sport. If he had stayed focus, there is not reason he wouldn't have been that 1st line center. Yet, I don't see why anyone should predict that Demidov will follow Galchenyuk path.

Last edited:

staveNsteel

Jan 18, 2021
Galchenyuk case shows that very few players could still be at the top without being 100% dedicated to their sport. If he had stayed focus, there is not reason he wouldn't have been that 1st line center. Yet, I don't see why anyone should predict that Demidov will follow Galchenyuk path.
Why?! Because everyone seems to want to find something wrong with him before he ever plays an NHL game. Demidov is a great prospect, and scouting has come a long g long way in the last 12 years.

Galchenyuk was a highly rated prospect at the time and a lot of his faults fell back on his dedication to grow with the game. Bouncing around from team to team, it's obvious he has negatives to his game.

Demidov is a different prospect entirely. The only similarity is that they were both drafted by the same team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad