Prospect Info: F Isak Rosen (14th Overall, 2021), Assigned to Rochester 12/10

Big Wood

Mar 29, 2023
I like it if Krebs pops. Krebs and Greenway on line 3 and move McCleod to wing on Cozens line.

And having too many guys is a good thing. All of these RFA's could be moved in the future. Time to be tight with all of these RFA's ala Boston and not hand out cushy extensions. Give them all 1 yr deals and make them earn each additional raise.
I think Greenway will be gone b4 the season

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
This sub is pretty down on Krebs. I just tell myself that if he was gifted a top 6 spot he would excell.

I'm probably wrong, But it's really hard to judge an offensive talent who can't find a line. Kotalik and Max are two I think of.

Putting Krebs with the all-time loser squad doesn't raise his profile. Imagine having Girgs as a passenger on your line. I'm sorry but that was ineptitude for Granato.
Girgs was anything but a passenger. If anything Krebs was the liability with his bad defensive awareness and no look back passes. He practically only played solid when paired with the "losers".

Its not his fault, they probably botched his development with keeping him in the NHL instead of sending him down.
Maybe there is a Mitts turnaround possible for him but I am not sure its with this team.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
I like Rosen but his chance at a top 6 spot in the NHL is likely sailing unless he manages to destroy the AHL this year. Third liner who can chip in 40 or so points is much more likely.
I like Rosen and I hope that's the case. In my viewing he plays even smaller than he actually is. He's probably just a hair below average size for the NHL but I think he'll have a hard time translating into NHL impact.

I hope I'm wrong but I think he'll have to add unnatural strength and might have a hard time fitting into anyone's ideal bottom 6er although he should carve out an average NHL career. That's a lot of projection by me so take it for what it's worth.

Or...he could break out in his 3rd AHL season, get a break in Buffalo and never look back making me look like a dumbass. Crazier things have happened.

Last edited:

Faceboner

Jan 6, 2022
I like Rosen and I hope that's the case. In my viewing he plays even smaller than he actually is. He's probably just a hair below average size for the NHL but I think he'll have a hard time translating into NHL impact.

I hope I'm wrong but I think he'll have to add unnatural strength and might have a hard time fitting into anyone's ideal bottom 6er although he should carve out an average NHL career. That's a lot of projection by me so take it for what it's worth.

Or...he could break out in his 3rd AHL season, get a break in Buffalo and never look back making me look like a dumbass. Crazier things have happened.
His skill implies more than bottom sixer its a question if he can add the physicality to gain space needed to use his speed/shot combo

Reactions: Matt Ress

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
Girgs was anything but a passenger. If anything Krebs was the liability with his bad defensive awareness and no look back passes. He practically only played solid when paired with the "losers".

Its not his fault, they probably botched his development with keeping him in the NHL instead of sending him down.
Maybe there is a Mitts turnaround possible for him but I am not sure its with this team.
Not turning this into a Krebs thread so I won't respond beyond this. Krebs was stunted by having awful linemates. He would be an outlet for Girls/Okposo/Robinson/whomever else, he would get the puck and the aforementioned linemates would just be around the wall or in a position to cough up the puck. Krebs is best when his linemates are moving and he can use his high offensive IQ and passing to find guys moving into danger areas or realizing that if Krebs attacks where to go. Same thing happened with Mitts, Mitts just happened to have to have a great release and would shoot. I'd love to see him on a line with Quinn and Malenstyn but that would mean we are in some shit 😂

Reactions: freester

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland
I don't understand the emphasis on top 6 as that's an antiquated scheme where teams employed 2 scoring, 1 defensive and a goon line. There is little difference between most 2nd and 3rd lines in deployment outside of a slight variation in OZ and DZ starts. The Sabres through logical mixing and matching could construct 2 offensively gifted lines with some defensive acumen while maintaining a top line and a matchup line.

Rosen has shown he has offensive chops while being defensively responsible. In most organisations he would be slated for a mid 6 wing as one of their top prospects, here he has to fight as he's just another generic winger

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
I don't understand the emphasis on top 6 as that's an antiquated scheme where teams employed 2 scoring, 1 defensive and a goon line. There is little difference between most 2nd and 3rd lines in deployment outside of a slight variation in OZ and DZ starts. The Sabres through logical mixing and matching could construct 2 offensively gifted lines with some defensive acumen while maintaining a top line and a matchup line.

Rosen has shown he has offensive chops while being defensively responsible. In most organisations he would be slated for a mid 6 wing as one of their top prospects, here he has to fight as he's just another generic winger
Agree. Line numbers have evolved as the players have. If Rosen shows he is one of the top 14 guys then you find a spot for him. If not, another year of development isn't the worst but he has to get games in Buffalo throughout the year.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
This sub is pretty down on Krebs. I just tell myself that if he was gifted a top 6 spot he would excell.

I'm probably wrong, But it's really hard to judge an offensive talent who can't find a line. Kotalik and Max are two I think of.

Putting Krebs with the all-time loser squad doesn't raise his profile. Imagine having Girgs as a passenger on your line. I'm sorry but that was ineptitude for Granato.
Krebs' usage last season was interesting.

Capture.PNG

Given the usage that Girgensons-Krebs-Okposo got, that xGoal% is not that bad.

And the fact that Krebs got good results with Benson & Peterka and Girgensons & Robinson talks to how versatile Krebs is.

The biggest challenge with projecting Krebs moving forward is how he lacked actual production even if there are good possession numbers.

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
Krebs' usage last season was interesting.

View attachment 900477

Given the usage that Girgensons-Krebs-Okposo got, that xGoal% is not that bad.

And the fact that Krebs got good results with Benson & Peterka and Girgensons & Robinson talks to how versatile Krebs is.

The biggest challenge with projecting Krebs moving forward is how he lacked actual production even if there are good possession numbers.

In a vacuum, the step up from Okposo to Robinson is really telling

KeepKane

May 6, 2015
I think Greenway will be gone b4 the season
Why trade him? Because he isn't a fast skater??? We still need players to get to the dirty areas and also some players with size to clog up other teams top forwards. Was our best Pker by far last season. Greenway, Malenstyn, McCleod and Lafferty should be top 4 forwards for the PK. Maybe work in Cozens and Benson. Tuch, Thompson (who was hurt on the pk) Peterka and Quinn should not see the pk unless down a goal late in the game. Roll these guys after the PK.

Reactions: Dingo44

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
We've gone way, way off topic folks.
The hope is Rosen shows he is a top 14 guy. I'm ok with him sitting in the press box AND getting games. I just don't want him going 15 games without getting a game, if that's the case he needs to be in Rochester. I also wonder if a strong camp maybe opens up a deal for a RHD dman that gets squeezed out of their current situation.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
The hope is Rosen shows he is a top 14 guy. I'm ok with him sitting in the press box AND getting games. I just don't want him going 15 games without getting a game, if that's the case he needs to be in Rochester. I also wonder if a strong camp maybe opens up a deal for a RHD dman that gets squeezed out of their current situation.

I had hopes that he or Kulich would pop off last AHL playoff to build value internally but more importantly externally so that he would be viewed more readily as a trade chip for an NHL-level deal too. I don't know if a strong camp springs him free but it could make for an interesting pre-season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad