Prospect Info: F Isak Rosen (14th Overall, 2021), Assigned to Rochester 12/10

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
On the flip side, they're probably all competing for the same spot in camp, since I don't see moer than 1 of them making the opening night roster unless there's injuries. So maybe they each think "let me get a leg up on the competition"...I doubt they play all the games, but each of them might get 1 or 2. But they at least are in camp practicing and trying to make a good impression on the new coaching staff.
Helenius might be in the mix too

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

In our Amerks tracking data, Rosen graded out as the second-best offensive forechecker on the team. This means that he was one of the best players on the roster getting possession back in the offensive zone.

I could see Rosen or Rousek being seen as the better bottom six fits over Kulich and Helenius.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia

I could see Rosen or Rousek being seen as the better bottom six fits over Kulich and Helenius.
I would see Wahlberg as the better fit in the bottom 6 because I'm not nearly as high on Rosen as most but I'll go ahead and sit back down.

Reactions: Nikolajs Sillers

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
I could see the Sabres wanting Wahlberg to get more time in the AHL before putting him into a bottom 6 NHL role this season.
For sure. Honestly I just don't see a fit for rosen in the near future but I'm sure he'll get a crack before anything drastic.

HOOats

born Ruffian
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo

I could see Rosen filling in on our new speed 4th line if one of the wingers misses some time. His skating and responsibility could work well there, while giving a different look too.

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
I would see Wahlberg as the better fit in the bottom 6 because I'm not nearly as high on Rosen as most but I'll go ahead and sit back down.

Neither are "finished" products, but my concern with putting Wahlberg in the bottom 6 this season is stunting his development a'la Girgensons. Rosen, I think, can step in and play "his" game in the bottom 6 and not have it have as much of an impact developmentally. Maybe it's just me, but I always feel like power forward-types need to be handled very carefully and deliberately.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
Neither are "finished" products, but my concern with putting Wahlberg in the bottom 6 this season is stunting his development a'la Girgensons. Rosen, I think, can step in and play "his" game in the bottom 6 and not have it have as much of an impact developmentally. Maybe it's just me, but I always feel like power forward-types need to be handled very carefully and deliberately.
Sure and let's not confuse my point with me pushing for Wahlberg in the bottom 6 this season. For the record, I don't think either should be this year and I happen to think Rosen should never be. There will always be better options in the bottom 6 than Rosen. Ultimately, we'd like more from Wahlberg but he would be the better suited player.

KeepKane

May 6, 2015

Adams finally filled out the forward roster so that a bunch of prospects shouldn't be heavily relied on. Krebs, Kulich, Rosen, Wahlberg, & Rousek are 5 forwards that look to be outside of the top 12. All of these players need to improve their skating and two way games. Good teams do not have openings in their top 6 for youngsters. These guys all need to shift their games to be able to play more bottom 6ish. How nice would it be if half way through the season we pop Kulich in with Zucker & McCleod and he adds more speed and scoring depth?? Or if Krebs watches 15 games from the press box and then goes in and plays to his potential and becomes a better option at 4C than Lafferty. Can move Lafferty to RW.

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
Adams finally filled out the forward roster so that a bunch of prospects shouldn't be heavily relied on. Krebs, Kulich, Rosen, Wahlberg, & Rousek are 5 forwards that look to be outside of the top 12. All of these players need to improve their skating and two way games. Good teams do not have openings in their top 6 for youngsters. These guys all need to shift their games to be able to play more bottom 6ish. How nice would it be if half way through the season we pop Kulich in with Zucker & McCleod and he adds more speed and scoring depth?? Or if Krebs watches 15 games from the press box and then goes in and plays to his potential and becomes a better option at 4C than Lafferty. Can move Lafferty to RW.

Overall like your post, but a couple things:

1) If any of Kulich/Rosen/Krebs/Rousek comes into camp and earns their way onto the team, that doesn't mean that the team isn't "good". Just pick any one of those guys and imagine they have a great developmental summer, really work on whatever their weakness is, and they come in guns a'blazin', a'la Derek Roy way back when. I'm not keeping them off the team just because they're young.

2) I don't think Krebs ever becomes a better 4C option than Lafferty; much more likely Krebs goes to W than Sam.

Reactions: KeepKane

KeepKane

May 6, 2015
Overall like your post, but a couple things:

1) If any of Kulich/Rosen/Krebs/Rousek comes into camp and earns their way onto the team, that doesn't mean that the team isn't "good". Just pick any one of those guys and imagine they have a great developmental summer, really work on whatever their weakness is, and they come in guns a'blazin', a'la Derek Roy way back when. I'm not keeping them off the team just because they're young.

2) I don't think Krebs ever becomes a better 4C option than Lafferty; much more likely Krebs goes to W than Sam.

I agree, if any of them come in blazing, they are in the top 9. It's a good problem to have. Greenway can bump NAK down. 1 or 2 forwards will be banged up, but if all healthy I think Krebs and Rousek are the 13 & 14 FW with Kulich, Rosen & Wahlberg starting in Roch. I see Krebs as more of a center than a winger. He could be very useful with two speedy /physical wingers and Ruff's tutelage. Get him to keep gaining more muscle and watch film of prime Kadri.

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
I agree, if any of them come in blazing, they are in the top 9. It's a good problem to have. Greenway can bump NAK down. 1 or 2 forwards will be banged up, but if all healthy I think Krebs and Rousek are the 13 & 14 FW with Kulich, Rosen & Wahlberg starting in Roch. I see Krebs as more of a center than a winger. He could be very useful with two speedy /physical wingers and Ruff's tutelage. Get him to keep gaining more muscle and watch film of prime Kadri.

If Krebs can become anything like Kadri, I'd want him on line 3 with Greenway.

Honestly, I know a lot of people were upset with the Savoie trade, but the amount of depth/similar players in the pipeline is obscene. They will reach a point where they need to move out 2 or 3 players and get 1 back, like the opposite side of the Eichel or RoR trades.

KeepKane

May 6, 2015
If Krebs can become anything like Kadri, I'd want him on line 3 with Greenway.

Honestly, I know a lot of people were upset with the Savoie trade, but the amount of depth/similar players in the pipeline is obscene. They will reach a point where they need to move out 2 or 3 players and get 1 back, like the opposite side of the Eichel or RoR trades.
I like it if Krebs pops. Krebs and Greenway on line 3 and move McCleod to wing on Cozens line.

And having too many guys is a good thing. All of these RFA's could be moved in the future. Time to be tight with all of these RFA's ala Boston and not hand out cushy extensions. Give them all 1 yr deals and make them earn each additional raise.

Last edited:
Reactions: buffalowing88

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
Why is it crazy to project one of the Amerks most effective forecheckers last season into a depth role with the Sabres?
I think his game, if effective at the NHL level, would be a better asset in the top 6 and I question if his possession/defensive/physical game would fit well into the bottom 6 and doesn't seem like the type of forward that the team is looking for in those spots.

We all know forechecking alone does not equate to successful bottom 6 forward. Were there any other attributes that would have him fit well into the bottom 6?

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I think his game, if effective at the NHL level, would be a better asset in the top 6 and I question if his possession/defensive/physical game would fit well into the bottom 6 and doesn't seem like the type of forward that the team is looking for in those spots.

We all know forechecking alone does not equate to successful bottom 6 forward. Were there any other attributes that would have him fit well into the bottom 6?
From the reports in Rochester, the physical game is the only piece that might not fit great in a bottom 6 role. But, being the most effective forechecker in turning pucks over and maintaining possession is a great skillset for a depth guy.

Rosen is not an offense-only skill guy. He is small. He does have skill. But, he is more like Benson-lite than say Kulich.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
From the reports in Rochester, the physical game is the only piece that might not fit great in a bottom 6 role. But, being the most effective forechecker in turning pucks over and maintaining possession is a great skillset for a depth guy.

Rosen is not an offense-only skill guy. He is small. He does have skill. But, he is more like Benson-lite than say Kulich.

And his burst is top notch. Part of his game is predicated on his ability to go fast and also that he modulates speed well when attacking. He'll catch people flat footed on the regular.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia

I promise you, that's not where Rosen settles into the league. We can agree to disagree.

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
I promise you, that's not where Rosen settles into the league. We can agree to disagree.
I like Rosen but his chance at a top 6 spot in the NHL is likely sailing unless he manages to destroy the AHL this year. Third liner who can chip in 40 or so points is much more likely.

Ehran

Sponsor
Feb 2, 2019
Texas
I like Rosen but his chance at a top 6 spot in the NHL is likely sailing unless he manages to destroy the AHL this year. Third liner who can chip in 40 or so points is much more likely.
He had 20 goals (24 goal pace over a full season). And he just turned 21. I don't think we should overlook him quite yet. The playoff drought seems to have us all quick to write off prospects.

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
He had 20 goals (24 goal pace over a full season). And he just turned 21. I don't think we should overlook him quite yet. The playoff drought seems to have us all quick to write off prospects.
saying he has the potential to be a valuable third line guy is hardly writing someone off.

buffalowing88

Aug 11, 2008
Charlotte, NC
I like it if Krebs pops. Krebs and Greenway on line 3 and move McCleod to wing on Cozens line.

And having too many guys is a good thing. All of these RFA's could be moved in the future. Time to be tight with all of these RFA's ala Boston and not hand out cushy extensions. Give them all 1 yr deals and make them earn each additional raise.

This sub is pretty down on Krebs. I just tell myself that if he was gifted a top 6 spot he would excell.

I'm probably wrong, But it's really hard to judge an offensive talent who can't find a line. Kotalik and Max are two I think of.

Putting Krebs with the all-time loser squad doesn't raise his profile. Imagine having Girgs as a passenger on your line. I'm sorry but that was ineptitude for Granato.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad